Arbor Vitae - UDK Scene [WIP]

-HP-

Hey guys,

About a month ago me and PhilipK decided to do a little collab for Unearthly Challenge, any excuse to make good art is a good excuse. Unfortunatly there's not a lot of entries this year, but we'll still finish it of course, we're having loads of fun!

So the idea is here is that Humans have colonized this planetoid and are in the process of creating an atmosphere similar to planet earth by using an atmosphere processing station. The air outside is not 100% breathable yet, but it already allows for the growth of vegetation.The whole point of this facility is to create an atmosphere, so we want to push for strong elements of O2, water and greenery!

The scene will be set inside one of the outer rooms of the station, more specifically inside one of the big control room, featuring a gigantic window with a beautiful view to the outside world, which from that angle you'll be able to see the other end of the complex, natural terrain and the sky.

We want to make use of bold colors and staying away from the same old desaturated look you typically see in sci-fi, we're also set on staying away from gritty/scary as much as possible and instead try and make the space seem like it's livable and looking almost inviting.

I started out with a concept to get the idea of the visual language we would be going for, I'm taking very strong inspiration from Doom 3 and Halo 4.
lthu7F6.jpg

But then we decided let's mix this style with COLORS, almost like mixing a Doom meets Mirror's Edge and have a child, PhilK did this amazing paintover of the blockout:
JbxoFQJ.jpg

I started making the modular textures and assets, walls, floors all that shit. Everything on the grid, texture included.
vngEWVl.jpg

So I can just chop the assets very easily like this, and they all fit together so we can create many variations and maybe expand the level later on.
tkn4YmP.jpg

While I was doing that, Phil made an awesome blockout of the scene, using modular pieces already and started modeling the middle main area, which should be the focus of the scene. Needless to say it has that awesome PhilipK style that we love all over the place! >D
So, whith that here's our latest WIP pic with all my stuff and phils put together with the new lighting. We have two weeks to wrap this up, still a lot to do but man these next two weeks will be hella fun!

un2jhUw.jpg

Deffo more to come, stay tuned Hurg people!

:::EDIT:::

Adding the final scene to this first post, feel free to check the rest of thread to check out the rest of the WIPs. :)

Guess we're calling it done now. I'll try and put together that breakdown asap and I'll then need to clean the package and release it for anyone who wants to fly around the scene.

Thanks Mapcore, Polycount, Jordan Walker for releasing his scene and allowing me to properly learn UDK, Quixel team for making nDo2 and dDo tools, and everyone who helped us with feedback! You helped it get much better! 
And of course, PhilipK for kicking so much ass, it was an honor to do scene with him, this guy breathes talent!

11025882695_e05112cffe_b.jpg

11026095733_dbf828b64e_b.jpg

11025979286_262ee8d0fb_b.jpg

11026094253_9b3565d53d_b.jpg

11025880125_18b12435a1_b.jpg

11025977316_4be6e41491_b.jpg

11026035884_bc28c3e429_b.jpg

11026092513_a6f1924267_b.jpg

11025883215_a1478bb6cb_b.jpg

It's using a complete real time solution for this, the assets still have lightmaps and all that fun stuff UDK offers by default but they also have real time reflections and proper shading. Closest you can get to PBR with current gen tech (Although that screenshot is only NM+AO)

I spent like a week working on that fucking master material, but I finally have a really solid mat to create instances and work with. All you need to do is plug your dif, spec, gloss and normal and tweak a few parameters I've exposed in the instance as well, such as vertex painting. (I've allowed for the painting of some moss and wet surface with dripping water, I'll show it latter)

For the reflections It's simply reflector planes. When the scene is done we'll manually place a lot more and it will look much better and believable hopefully! :)

wgq2aekftqx9.jpg

i'm thinking about this spot here is that chromatic aberration used VERY nicely ? or jus light looking like that in that spot ? after you finish this shit pliz make a material break down.
So you're saying you didn't tweak the renderer in any way just work on materials it self ? fuck it just look too damn clean as for UE3, and i'm dead serious, any ways i love that screen by itself !
and again question, if you are using only real time solutions, so i figure only dynamic lights - so why UE3 not CE 3 ?

and small hint, outside the windows over those hills you have large free sky, make it look very sci fi, give it like 2-3 moons or some cool planets variations, something that all 80's sci/fi fan love ! :)

fuck i need to start working on my shit

knj, no no man, there's deffo some post processing enabled. I thought you were talking about the mats only. I'm using the same techniques I used on my previous scene for Post. (Very very slight chromatic aberration, vignette, a color gradient, LUT and of course filmic tone-mapping) I'm also gonna turn on lens flare, camera dust and a couple other neat things when we're done with the scene.

Vilham, yeah that's basically a holo deck big ass workstation. This is supposed to be a big facility that is creating O2, and that's like the main workstation for this wing of the facility. As long as that message comes across I'm happy. We'll try and make it look like a serves more purpose, thanks dude.

Great feedback so far, so glad i created this thread!

and this might be outside the box, but first think that comes to me when thinking about O2 are plants, maybe use some small plants to make it look more bio ?

Absolutely, I allocated a couple days to make some vines and outside vegetation. If you look at my first concept you'd see some vines right on the outside of the glass, I still want to do that idea, I think it will help sell the scene a lot.

I also wanted to make a small vehicle for the scene, like a little bot. But I doubt there'd be time, or if it would even make sense.

Also, I want to have water on the inside, all around that main station casting caustics to the side walls.