System Shock Remake

-HP-

@Buddy@will2kyeah but I would imagine part of that was technical restrictions. Wolfenstein 3D had same height ceilings all over, that didn’t stop them to open up the environments when they remade the games.

Now I haven’t played SS (I think i tried a demo from a shareware CD) so I don’t know if this is any part of the story, but I would doubt it?

In any case it might have been charming in the 90s but doesn’t seem to work right now, when there’s a bunch of detail right in your face. I think it’s part of the reason why it’s getting such mixed feedback

15 hours ago, blackdog said:

@Buddy@will2kyeah but I would imagine part of that was technical restrictions. Wolfenstein 3D had same height ceilings all over, that didn’t stop them to open up the environments when they remade the games.

Now I haven’t played SS (I think i tried a demo from a shareware CD) so I don’t know if this is any part of the story, but I would doubt it?

In any case it might have been charming in the 90s but doesn’t seem to work right now, when there’s a bunch of detail right in your face. I think it’s part of the reason why it’s getting such mixed feedback

I agree with this notion as well though it seems that had they decided to reimagine it beyond these limitations the project would balloon out of control (and it was already troubled enough as it is).

On 12/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, will2k said:

As buddy said, this has always been the case :)

here are a few direct comparison shots between the original in 1994 and the remake in 2021/2:

shock15.jpg

sr11.jpg

shock16.jpg

sr8.jpg

shock14.jpg

sr10.jpg

you can blame budget but this just feels low effort. something like black mesa did the remake concept much better from a geometric standpoint and no one even got paid for that work up front.

on the other hand, plenty of good games have had mediocre or even bad presentation, so this could still be a lot of fun. I never made it far in the original because it was too dated by the time I got my hands on it

2 hours ago, NikiOo said:

Imagine telling the artists "remake all the textures from the original game but with models and high res PBR shading." And later when it's done be like, "damn, that's so derivative, you slack-off!".

It’s also possible they don’t have very good environment artists. Plenty of people could make cooler stuff with similar restrictions. If you’re going to do a purely cosmetic remake, the cosmetics are important.