Resident Evil 2 Remake

-HP-

this really rocks my socks. scary things I can go either way on, if it's too difficult and scary, then it's a great excuse for me to quit. but this thing has been really well paced, edge of my seat but not too impossible on regular difficulty. really really fun

i haven't played it on PS4 so I can't compare, but I feel like playing on Steam was the right move. it's fun to get my achievements popping up and to take screenshots, run on all high. also kind of glad I never played the original, this feels really polished. there's some really stupid parts (combining items in games almost always ends up being fucking ridiculous. "ah yeah why didn't I think to combine the pool noodle with the dynamite")

On 5/22/2019 at 2:55 AM, FMPONE said:

also kind of glad I never played the original, this feels really polished.

Fair enough but idk if playing the original would even affect one's experience in a negative way- that game was ages ago and it's fair to say most people didn't play recently, so it's like a fresh start

Spoiler

The game banks on what people roughly remember about it, but it doesn't follow it down to a tee either... Like Mr. X is barely there in the original, he's like a special enemy only on 2nd playthrough, but here he's a lot more present and it totally feels like it was always like this!

Sometimes they even use your knowledge of the original to subvert expectations. For instance in the original, the licker is introduced in the 1F West Corridor, and they know that everybody who played the original remembers that. So what they did is that they put a corpse there with a wound that clearly just got killed by a licker, to make you tense AF when moving through that corridor, but... no licker. Instead they introduce it a bit later, right before the Stars Office, in a different way.

And they completely changed the less memorable stuff and replaced it with something that's hopefully better, like the statue pushing part is gone, the giant spiders in the sewer, the Ada part is completely different, etc.

Definitely one of the most impressive approach to "remaking" a game I've ever seen!

Goddamn this game is WILD! One of the best in a long ass time. Holy

Mr. X, lawdy he lived up to the hype. The sense of dread this game can build is so amazing. On regular difficulty I’m getting away with fucking murder, barely escaping impossible situations. I get the sense they scripted high danger and then forgiveness, the difficulty curve is so slick. Thus far it’s been right on the dime, any harder and I would chicken out

21 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

I played as Leon first, what happens when I go back and play with Claire? This game fucking rocks, still. I’m about 5-6 hours deep. 

Deffo do it, the game changes way more than I thought. I finished my B playthrough on hardcore.

With the Claire B campaign, you start the game in another spot of the Police Station, so the flow of the first third of the game is completely different, some puzzles are the same (not all) but their solution is hidden in different spots around the environment, just as typewriters and boxes are in different spots too.
Back in the original PSX version, Mr X only appeared on your B playthrough, on the remake tho the changes are more granular but I actually like it more like this, it just feels different.
The story is also completely different, Leon's story is basically a love story with Ada. Claire's is more of caretaker / motherly archetype, as you need to save the little kid, Sherry.
There's also new environments I wont spoil for you.Leon campaign is more actiony, weapons carry more bang. Claire's weapons are a bit more strategic, and she also gets more grenades/flashbangs I think.

Also, you need to finish the B campaign the see the real ending / real final boss, the game is meant to be played like this.

9 minutes ago, [HP] said:

Deffo do it, the game changes way more than I thought. I finished my B playthrough on hardcore.

With the Claire B campaign, you start the game in another spot of the Police Station, so the flow of the first third of the game is completely different, some puzzles are the same (not all) but their solution is hidden in different spots around the environment, just as typewriters and boxes are in different spots too.
Back in the original PSX version, Mr X only appeared on your B playthrough, on the remake tho the changes are more granular but I actually like it more like this, it just feels different.
The story is also completely different, Leon's story is basically a love story with Ada. Claire's is more of caretaker / motherly archetype, as you need to save the little kid, Sherry.
There's also new environments I wont spoil for you.Leon campaign is more actiony, weapons carry more bang. Claire's weapons are a bit more strategic, and she also gets more grenades/flashbangs I think.

Also, you need to finish the B campaign the see the real ending / real final boss, the game is meant to be played like this.

Damn that sounds incredible. There is so much game here...

typically when I play a single player game these days I write down everything I learn because games have such smooth beats and it’s eays to see when they do something clever in between boring sections. This game I haven’t written anything down, it’s just had my full attention. It’s also very scary, I want to study that aspect on subsequent play throughs.

I beat the Leon portion of the game last night. Some thoughts on the end game:

Although I've really enjoyed this game a lot, if I'm going to be a bit critical, once you leave the police station the quality of the level design does go down quite a bit. It's far more linear, and far less scary overall. The plant monsters were so frikin lame (not scary/challenging), and the levels overall don't add any new interesting mechanics. Not sure why this would be, except maybe they spent a ton of time polishing that first chunk up and the rest didn't get as much attention. Whatever the case may be, pretty much from the moment I got into the sewers the game felt like it was already in its denouement phase, it would have been nice to return to the police station one more time for closure. The sewers weren't terrible, but then the Umbrella corps got even a bit worse, so the overall emotion was downhill. The Umbrella corp headquarters certainly attempted to give a sense of "scale", but I don't think it was successful at all in doing that, it felt tiny and cramped and rushed.

The last half of the game, for me, gets a 4-5/10 compared to the first half 10/10. It just felt really rushed.

The highlight of this game for me was definitely the end portion of the police station level, where Mr. X is chasing you around. That was some of the best horror gameplay I've ever experienced.

2 hours ago, FMPONE said:

I beat the Leon portion of the game last night. Some thoughts on the end game:

Hide contents

Although I've really enjoyed this game a lot, if I'm going to be a bit critical, once you leave the police station the quality of the level design does go down quite a bit. It's far more linear, and far less scary overall. The plant monsters were so frikin lame (not scary/challenging), and the levels overall don't add any new interesting mechanics. Not sure why this would be, except maybe they spent a ton of time polishing that first chunk up and the rest didn't get as much attention. Whatever the case may be, pretty much from the moment I got into the sewers the game felt like it was already in its denouement phase, it would have been nice to return to the police station one more time for closure. The sewers weren't terrible, but then the Umbrella corps got even a bit worse, so the overall emotion was downhill. The Umbrella corp headquarters certainly attempted to give a sense of "scale", but I don't think it was successful at all in doing that, it felt tiny and cramped and rushed.

The last half of the game, for me, gets a 4-5/10 compared to the first half 10/10. It just felt really rushed.

The highlight of this game for me was definitely the end portion of the police station level, where Mr. X is chasing you around. That was some of the best horror gameplay I've ever experienced.

You actually do return to the police station from the sewers tho, but it's completely optional. You take a elevator up and come out in the main lobby of the station.
You have to do this if you want to reveal the last Photographic Film, which if my memory serves me right it shows you photos of 2 hidden places inside the station where you can find some cool upgrades for your pistol.

I'm fairly torn by the sewers myself, it used to be my favourit part of the original RE2, they used to have this big ass tarantulas which were scary af and I think you had to use acid to kill them. Overall, I wanna say the original had more enemy variety too.

resident-evil-2-spiders.gif?resize=740,5

In the remake they added those weird big monsters that crap out little floating enemies, and like you said the level design doesn't feel as tight as the first third of the game.

Your Umbrela Labs scale comment is a interesting one, now that I think of it, I remenber it feeling way grander in the original, it could be that since the cameras are static, you sort of like fill in the gaps in your mind and just assume you're inside these colossally big underground lab.

I also preferred the grungier and industrial look of the original RE2's underground lab, I don't know if the clean white ipad aesthetic was entired successfully in the remake, specially when their screenspace reflections solution is pretty bad.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf954f96c30784536

611e7d0358b7ab473f9dd37837b3d08e_origina

Now that I think of it, I also wish you got to play outside a little bit more in this remake too, there's something awesome about dodging zombies in dirty back alleys.

The white zombies also didn't make an apearence in the remake, although they are in the 3 mini story DLCs they released:

2718165-tumblr_mha9xkpuyt1qba4ipo1_500.g

The more RE2 remake lingers in my mind, the more I realize that it's full potential wasn't met, even tho it's most likely my GOTY.

1 hour ago, [HP] said:

You actually do return to the police station from the sewers tho, but it's completely optional. You take a elevator up and come out in the main lobby of the station.
You have to do this if you want to reveal the last Photographic Film, which if my memory serves me right it shows you photos of 2 hidden places inside the station where you can find some cool upgrades for your pistol.

I'm fairly torn by the sewers myself, it used to be my favourit part of the original RE2, they used to have this big ass tarantulas which were scary af and I think you had to use acid to kill them. Overall, I wanna say the original had more enemy variety too.

resident-evil-2-spiders.gif?resize=740,5

In the remake they added those weird big monsters that crap out little floating enemies, and like you said the level design doesn't feel as tight as the first third of the game.

Your Umbrela Labs scale comment is a interesting one, now that I think of it, I remenber it feeling way grander in the original, it could be that since the cameras are static, you sort of like fill in the gaps in your mind and just assume you're inside these colossally big underground lab.

I also preferred the grungier and industrial look of the original RE2's underground lab, I don't know if the clean white ipad aesthetic was entired successfully in the remake, specially when their screenspace reflections solution is pretty bad.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf954f96c30784536

611e7d0358b7ab473f9dd37837b3d08e_origina

Now that I think of it, I also wish you got to play outside a little bit more in this remake too, there's something awesome about dodging zombies in dirty back alleys.

The white zombies also didn't make an apearence in the remake, although they are in the 3 mini story DLCs they released:

2718165-tumblr_mha9xkpuyt1qba4ipo1_500.g

The more RE2 remake lingers in my mind, the more I realize that it's full potential wasn't met, even tho it's most likely my GOTY.

Yes, I agree with you. Even a game this good, there was still quite a lot of unmet potential.

That look does seem a lot more fitting for the underground labs. I didn't mind the ipad aesthetic in and of itself, but like a lot of the art in this game, it didn't "pop" with an extra sense of purpose and definition, it just kind of was "there". This worked so much better for the police station, because the rigid, lifelessness of the realistic surfaces felt appropriate. As the game dragged on, the lifelessness of the sewers and the lifelessness of the labs really defeat any sense of purpose behind that aesthetic, it's no longer tongue in cheek or intentionally drab, it's just drab even though it's aiming to be something dramatic (moody laboratory).

My favorite part of the labs was easily the overgrown area, but that was very brief. The game didn't do a good job of selling environments that were in the middle of realistic or stylish, the most stylish areas looked great, and the most realistic areas looked great, the inbetween ones (the lab, the sewers, the empty streets where you walk to the sewers, and now that I think of it, the store in the very beginning) were just downright boring.

Totally agreed on the city parts. Non-optionally, I think that was my big take-away: this game violated the basic level design trope of bringing you full circle, back from where you came. Considering how strong the original area was, it was extra disappointing that they screwed that basic idea up. Instead of ending with a random ass train ride, it should have taken you up top into the police station for a bit, through the city a bit, and then a train station, above ground where it actually makes sense. I wanted that extra 30mins to 1hour 30 of high quality urban gameplay, after being underground for so damn long.

• 1 month later...

I was able to play it those 2 last weeks. Pretty good game, made Leon and Claire (bis). I was expecting more differences between the 2 but was still ok to replay it. I usually like difficult games so I tried in hardcore and didn't enjoyed it at all. I know the original resident games were very difficult but I prefer my games to be challenging, not sadistic. So I started back on Normal, I would have love a balance between both because it was a bit easy (finished Claire scenario with 40 grenades)

I was glad about Leon story but claire feels a bit like a rambo bimbo out from nowhere and the end scene and dialogues were pretty terrible.

Tried the ghost survivors, I know it was a free DLC but it's not worth playing imo.