Sign in to follow this  
joro.jur

Looking for a game development team.

Dear talented people, I'm starting a few projects and I need a team to help me with them. I'm mainly doing this for educational purpose but also to make something valuable for the community. You will be able to switch from project to project and work on whatever you want. You will not be paid but if any of the projects makes a profit, it will be split equally among all members. I'm looking for people who enjoy what they are doing and are willing to improve their skills and learn from their mistakes. You do not need to be a professional and also no age limits are set. I'm not going to be doing this a 100% of the time because of educational purposes (High School). I will be on everyday, for around 2/3 hours but that doesn't mean that the whole operation is stopped. The development can still continue even without my presence.

My time zone: Eastern European Time Zone, UTC+02:00
Contact me: | Skype: joro.jur | Discord: joro.jur#7064 |

All the best, joro.jur!

I aim high, otherwise I will hit too low. I chase what I think it's important and do what I think matters. I am chasing my dreams and there is nothing wrong with that. I won't let people like you (Puddy) push me down and stop me from crossing the line. Difference is what makes the world an interesting place and while other people my age go around and play football, I'm learning, reading, experimenting and crossing the line. Think about what you are doing, you are stopping a young person from achieving his maximum potential. You don't know what my skills are and you certainly cannot tell me what I can and I cannot. Happy new year.

Thanks for the new copypasta! No, but seriously, you got some really solid advice from an industry professional there. You should really give it more thought instead of going into full defense mode about people trying to push you down. Many of us have been in the same shoes as you and learned to not bite more off than we can chew. Now we try to relay that experience to you so you can avoid wasting not only your precious time and effort but also of those who work with you,... but I guess that's something you have to learn on your own?

Anyway, that's just my view. Of course you're free to ignore it and go about your day. Just remember that it never hurts to listen to feedback and review it. In the end it's all up to you and what you make of it.

Happy new year to you as well!

Ok guys, but I still don't understand what's the problem for me to start multiple projects or try to cross the line. Who said that a 15 year old can't run a few projects with a team? You think it's impossible just because you haven't done it, but that doesn't mean that others can't or will fail.

13 hours ago, joro.jur said:

Ok guys, but I still don't understand what's the problem for me to start multiple projects or try to cross the line. Who said that a 15 year old can't run a few projects with a team? You think it's impossible just because you haven't done it, but that doesn't mean that others can't or will fail.

Why not pitch one game concept, get people excited and increase chances that folks join your team? Also, what are you going to be doing exactly?

@joro.jur The advice being given here is hard-earned knowledge through the School of Hard Knocks (experience). The reason @Puddy, @'RZL, and @FrieChamp are saying to scale back on what you are trying to accomplish is because we can tell that you are underestimating the complexities of a single project, if not multiple projects simultaneously. To contextualize why this is so difficult, look at Valve. Presumably their company structure is set-up to be flat and allows employees to work on whatever project(s) their heart desires. How many new innovations does Valve produce? How many new products, IP's, services, etc . . . Not that many. The reasons for this are a great multitude ranging from interest levels, fatigue, to turnover in personnel and lack of clear direction due to flat management styles.

To clarify,  it is like trying to spread too little butter across too much bread. The covering of butter is not adequate to provide a tasty treat on any portion of the bread. Whereas if you use a smaller piece of bread, the butter fully covers the bread. Do not assume you will have more butter because resources are always finite, particularly when first starting.

I would also reiterate what @Puddy had said about expecting people who likely work full-time and have some years of experience working on hobby projects. They are projects of passion, but time is not limitless. If I only have X amount of time in a day, and I intend to devote 1 year to a hobby project, then my full effort should go into that single project and not be split between others so that I maximize the output (result). So you are better served to scale back what you want to do, be specific, give a time frame to work on it (e.g., 1 year), and be receptive to feedback. Furthermore, as a 15 year old you are going to struggle to find people willing to work with you. That's the reality. So again, scaling back and demonstrating knowledge, experience, and understanding of scope will increase the likelihood that you are successful.

No one is saying a 15 year old cannot do it, but we are saying to tread cautiously and understand that you are attempting to be a project manager, which encompasses a great depth and breadth of knowledge. Read, a lot, on what others have accomplished and how they did it. There is no perfect model, but recognizing your own limitations is critical to being a good manager.

I've been on some mod teams run by 15 year olds, it can work, but the multiple projects parts basically reads as you don't really have a vision at all. Which is actually fine, if it's just yourself. Getting people interested and involved, especially the ones with actual talent, is a lot of work, especially when it's for free. Hell, even with my 15 or so years experience I'd probably struggle to get a talented team together. Rules are certainly made to be broken, but the advise here is golden and you're more likely to succeed following it than not, if you care about maximizing your chances.