Battlefield Bad Company 2

Gloglebag

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if that has been linked.

but holy fuck does that look fucking incredible or what? fuck.

the sounds alone are incredible, the screaming and shouting, the weapon sounds, the atmosphere..

this looks utterly amazing, the graphics are awesome as well.

oh and the lunatic humvee driver? legendary!

BF2142 was pretty popular for quite a while, it just died off and didn't seem to have the enduring popularity of BF2.

I think really they brought it out too soon, as a lot of what they tried to do (particularly the huge mothership thing) ended up being really rough, and also it played too similarly to BF2 for people to consider it a serious sequel. I guess it was a glorified mod, but it did refine a lot of BF2's gameplay to perfection IMO and took the unlock system from being a novelty to quite a serious mechanic and compelling reason to keep playing.

I think the sci-fi theme didn't help, either — people seem to really dig the modern combat thing. I suspect if BF2 and BF2142 swapped themes, the popularity would be the other way round. :oops:

TBH I wonder if this game will work with destruction like that. It seems to make vehicles even more powerful. Does the damage regenerate over time?

Destruction is permanent until next round. Sure some people will go nuts and level everything with the ground but it's bad to blow away what you can use for cover as well :-D . If they retain the ability to mod servers then there will be Infantry Only servers, which is pretty damn popular for city maps (Strike at Karkand & Camp Gibraltar, anyone?).

I'm not gonna lie to you, I played a lot on infantry only servers. I don't know, what to say, I loved playing vanilla bf2. But after some time it seemed vehicles servers tended to degenerate in to getting in a vehicle and being killed by an airplane, then being TK'ed while waiting for an airplane to take revenge. Also the prolonged sprinted helped a lot.

Anyway about the destruction, the vehicles were already immensely powerful (as they should be), but now a chopper will just blow the fuck out of a building, and a tank will blow trough a wall. I cannot see destruction like this beeing fun for gameplay, rather then a feature added because they know it looks good in trailers and is gonna excite a lot of people.

edit: you live in Sweden, do you work for dice, because i remember here being a dude that worked on Mirror's Edge.

if you look at that video i posted, it looks like 2 shots with an AT will take out a tank, nd guaranteed there will be stingers and javelin-type launchers used to lock on to aircraft (i hope, anyway) - so i think vehicles will not massively overpowered, and it'll end more exciting for both the vehicle and infantry players. guys hiding behind that building? fucking unload at the wall and shit goes flying, that's got to look cool as hell from inside a tank. you're an infantryman hiding behind a wall, with full kknowledge that the tank can level the building, adds an element not only of stealth, but fear and panic, raising the intensity. and when that shell hits the wall and rubble is flying aroudn you, your ears are ringing and the cloud of dust makes it impossible to see, well that's got to be a pretty intense experience if you survive.

i've seen some videos of the gunners view when in a tank and they don't really give you a lot of screenspace to work with, so yes, you have a powerful gun, but it takes a good second or two to reload a shell, and you can't easily cover every vantage point. you are vunerable and will end up relying on your bros on foot to protect your flanks from AT-wielding enemies.

i think the whole will come together quite nicely, and balance well, you would have thought that after 5 ( ? ) battefield games that dice would know how to balance the game properly without slanting it too heavily towards any particular playstyle.