Company of Heroes 2

Mazy

I only got a few missions into the original but I was pretty much blown away by it, being an improved and more story-focused take on the Dawn of War formula which at that point was the best RTS I'd ever played. Unfortunately my machine was ass so I never managed to get through it. :sad:

I've played the original a lot. Especially online and at the LAN parties I organise. It's awesome game. Since I played it, I never went back to C&C or any other RTS for that matter. With the exception of the Dawn of War series.

It's time they put up a trailer though :)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello chaps.

Have any of you got into the CoH 2 beta? I got a key code from Eurogamer this year and I've been playing..

It's pretty good so far. Taking me a while to get back into it, but I'm enjoying it so far. It feels more like an expansion to Company of Heroes, rather than a sequel, in terms of gameplay.. Seems to play pretty much the same. I need to give it a bit more time though!

I like the new unlock system, I think it will add a bit more to the long-term scale of the game, but I imagine it will make the divide between good/bad players much wider.

So far I've only played as Soviets, and they seem pretty good. I like the idea that you shouldn't really retreat, especially with the penal squadrons.

Yeah. There is an XP system, and when you level up, you get perks for specific units and broader perks for each side. They are very subtle, for example, early on you get a 2% increase to accuracy of your basic units.

I'll have to play it a bit more to see if it actually makes any difference though.

Hmmm I personally haven't enjoyed it so far. And the general feeling on the forums is that it's not as good as CoH 1.

I absolutely loved CoH, but this feels weird. They've completely shortened the early game period, making infantry absolutely useless. There are no proper anti-tank infantry, so they become useless really early on. Everybody just has to rush for tanks. Also, the resource generation is ridiculous, you will never struggle for resources.

Also, there is less focus on building. You pretty much just build 1/2 main buildings and use those to pump out more tanks, but the infantry don't have many options for building. You can place sandbags but they're pretty useless because tanks come into the game so quickly. The same applies to barbed wire too.

Disappointed so far... Hopefully they change the resource generation so the early game lasts a lot longer.

However, blizzards are awesome. On the snowy maps, blizzards periodically occur, which brings in the fog of war and reduces your units' line of sight. You have to stay near fires and warmer areas and if you're caught out in the cold, your troops rapidly lose health. This is really great because it forces you to change the way you play, and you have to fall back slightly and stay warm. That's a great addition to the game!

Edited by PogoP

Sounds like a massacred CoH. :( Only liked the original tbh. I absolutely loved the in-match unlocks (Doctrines), so it's a damn shame that they've decided to go with persistant unlocks. Relic has a bad habit of pulling absolute shit out of their asses (Dawn of War expansions, CoH expansions, Dawn of War 2).