Colouring techniques

D3ads

Before I started in the game modification hobby, my highest talent was making my own comics either based loosely on existing creations or my own characters. I haven't done any work on comics in any great detail since 1997, that's about to change as I have a brilliant idea for a comic and I want to bring it to life.

Now I can pencil in a drawing and ink it ok but the colouring part is going to be a challenge, as I always used to use felt-tip pens and crayons, now I'm more used to working with computers with PS and stuff I want to colour it in on the computer. I'm thinking something like this:

spawn-bld.JPG

I have no idea how to go about achieving something like that and I was hoping possibly Koko or someone would know and give some pointers on techniques to achieve something as rich and detailed as that.

I plan on scanning in some B&W drawings sometime when I'm happy with what I have so you can see some of my creations :)

Thanks!

Todd doesn't do the colouring anymore, not even the artwork, just the storyline :)

Christ, I'm thinking it might be an idea to get someone else to do the colouring, God knows the inks and pencils take long enough.. not to mention planning out the script and lettering :cry:

A video tutorial of your techniques would help a lot though I think.

Oh and that guy with the tutorials is a fucking GOD :shock:

I checked out her resume and found something very interesting:

Texture, Concept Artist: on-going titles...

* Upcoming project Character concept artist and design, character modeling, and storyboard artist

* Team Fortress 2 Texture artist, concept artist, model textures

:cool:

Hmmm... Kristen is a guy's name as well... no? Whatever, easy mistake to make :P

Ok I was just messing with some techniques, I came up with this idea like how you use normal and diffuse maps for game textures. I cloned the image and painted over some of the bits I wanted to colour then added shades and texture onto it before setting the original image down as a multiply layer. As you can see this is very rough as it's not meant to be used for anything other than practice.

spawntest8bl.jpg

I'll mess about with more stuff soon...

[edit]fucking jpg compression ftl...

[edit 2] The artwork is by Kevin Conrad, I'm not that good :P

:oops:

5/2002 – 8/2005 VALVe Software.

Texture, Concept Artist: completed and shipped the following 5 games...

* Counter-Strike: Source Art director, world texture artist and world concept artist

o sole artist working on map and model concepts, art direction and world textures (including world model skins) for the first 8 maps shipping with the original HL2 game release. Maps included: Dust, Dust2, Aztec, Piranesi, Chateau, Havana, Cobble, and Italy.

o designed and created the illustrated Counterstrike: Source image used for final, shipped box art, posters and advertisements

o Counter-Strike has won over 13 awards including Game of the Year, Action Game of the Year, and Best Multiplayer

* Day of Defeat: Source Texture and concept artist

o world and model concepts

o environment textures

o art direction (primarily dod_flash)

o designed and created the final, shipped box art

(for first release of Day of Defeat)

o Day of Defeat poster art (concept and creation)

* Half-Life 2 Texture artist

Half-Life 2 has won over 38 PC Game of the Year Awards, including PC Gamer, PC World magazine, and Gamespy.com

* Counterstrike: Condition Zero Texture artist, concepts for rebuilt maps

* Counterstrike: Xbox Texture artist, concepts for rebuilt maps

Texture, Concept Artist: on-going titles...

* Upcoming project Character concept artist and design, character modeling, and storyboard artist

* Team Fortress 2 Texture artist, concept artist, model textures

I'm already a fan :cool:

spawnfinal7my.png

Ok I'm done, I used png this time, fuck .jpg and it's shitty compression :P

I've surprised myself at how good that's come out, I mean ok it's not perfect but for a first attempt it's not bad. Next attempt I'm going to use one of my own drawings, something a lot bigger, working with small brushes is not cool and takes far too long, next time I want it to take less time than 20 hours :?