Aerospace (Alpha)

Noodle King

Hey noodle, I took a look at your map and its looking great, I just have a few (non game play) suggestions for you to consider.

First off, im glad you already had a kv file going with this map, most people dont think about that until their map is basically done. I like your pick of the professionals as the T models, they go well with this maps theme. Im not sure if the jets you can see in t-spawn are supposed to be their jets or the cts, but either way I think it would be neat to have either some sort of parachute-type prop in t-spawn to imply how they actually got into the cargo bay. Maybe even some sort of hook would be there.

I think your pick of the fbi as the ct models is definitely a good choice, im not sure if you intended it to be as though they were already on the air craft or not as security, but if you are still open to suggestions, I might suggest changing ct models to the SAS, having the sky light window in ct spawn be broken and have a helicopter or a jet flying off with cables attached to it, this would imply the air liner had no security on board and instead the SAS (or even the FBI) preformed a daring in air jump to the top of the plane.

Anyway these are all just small story elements I wanted to suggest, keep up the good work.

9 hours ago, fewseb said:

Hey noodle, I took a look at your map and its looking great, I just have a few (non game play) suggestions for you to consider.

First off, im glad you already had a kv file going with this map, most people dont think about that until their map is basically done. I like your pick of the professionals as the T models, they go well with this maps theme. Im not sure if the jets you can see in t-spawn are supposed to be their jets or the cts, but either way I think it would be neat to have either some sort of parachute-type prop in t-spawn to imply how they actually got into the cargo bay. Maybe even some sort of hook would be there.

I think your pick of the fbi as the ct models is definitely a good choice, im not sure if you intended it to be as though they were already on the air craft or not as security, but if you are still open to suggestions, I might suggest changing ct models to the SAS, having the sky light window in ct spawn be broken and have a helicopter or a jet flying off with cables attached to it, this would imply the air liner had no security on board and instead the SAS (or even the FBI) preformed a daring in air jump to the top of the plane.

Anyway these are all just small story elements I wanted to suggest, keep up the good work.

yay :D I made the kv file really early on and I'm happy someone noticed. thank you

On 9/2/2017 at 4:45 AM, S1lv3r 4 lyf said:

I took a gander at your map, and I don't see any major problems, but there are some little ones. You're probably already working on most of these.

You missed stair and wall clipping at the:

-Spiral stairs at CT

-Steps at Nation Airlines sign

-Walls of CT spawn

-Walls at 3973 5571 4008

-Stairs at 3821 3710 4001

-Walls at 3423 3969 3646

-I had bad fps in both spawns, particulary at T spawn. This could just be my computer (it was a little glitchy this morning).

-You may also want to use player clip around the chairs. I found that as I was defending B I would get hung up on the ones behind me in that side room.

-The red crates in the bombsites should be clipped as well (I know you clipped one of them).

If you don't already know how, there is a tutorial for a method of clipping spiral staircases here.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Yeah as far as clipping goes, that's a combination of me being lazy and not wanting to do too much before an area is detailed. But don't worry, everything will be like silk to walk on once everything is polished :) For the bad fps, on my system at least, whenever I spawn in for the first time on a map in csgo, I get really bad frame stuttering until I die and respawn again. The frame numbers for me In T-spawn are pretty good, considering the whole map is indoors, which is a blessing when it comes to optimization. 

Edited by Noodle King

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a little while, sorry for the wait! GZ and I have been busy with school and procrastinating, so it's taken us a while to get another update out. Over the last month or so we've been hard at work detailing and sorting out game play issues. I think we can both agree that we are narrowing down on our final layout. 

No new update is live on the steam workshop just yet, but expect one in the coming days!

New screenshots and descriptions of our changes:

20171006150511_1.jpg.7dcdb53cbb2ec4a01512eaa4bc67c512.jpg

A-site after the first art pass. While it may not be super super realistic to a plane, we wanted it to feel open and not feel crowded. In the context of a massive luxury airliner, I think a room this big would be very possible. 

20171006150519_1.jpg.95ee872d639d52d7469373fc6ef9f791.jpg

I guess you can call this "dark." It's a room off to the side of A site that acts as a good spot for CT's to defend from, and a valuable post plant position for the T's. Also, the normal mapping on the carpet texture makes the light gradient look pretty cool :P

20171006150526_1.jpg.eba826423dc7572a14100a447b3a8daf.jpg

Opposite to "dark" on A site is the bar area. To the left is where the T's enter from this area. To the right is the small drop down into the main site. Pretty much everything you see in this screenshot is custom content, with the exception of a couple models. Smaller details are still in the works, such as bottles on the bar shelves and clutter around the empty spaces.20171006150530_1.jpg.1d74208619b78bf285492105aa097c0f.jpg

Behind this screenshot is the doorway to the bar area in the picture above. This area is themed to be an "employees only" sort of room. The cooking for the bar is done back here and that sort of stuff. The doorway on the left leads to mid. Id say that this area is pretty much done visually.

20171006150538_1.jpg.a8facccf7d894469860535578c89aa11.jpg

The biggest and probably most important change is that there are now two entries to mid for T's. My hope is that this change balances out the fight for mid a bit, without making it too messy. If this configuration does turn out to be too chaotic, we may need to ditch one of the extra angles that CT's get from mid. 

It's also very worth mentioning that this layout change required me to shift the whole t spawn area to the left (if you look at it on the radar.) This actually makes the plane more realistic, since the cargo hold and cockpit were previously not lined up. Not really sure how that happened in the first place, but its all good now. Also, the hallway leading down to B from T-spawn has been altered from this change. In my opinion, it looks much better. 

20171006150449_1.jpg.be7d99d0818bfbc65e9772373d907c51.jpg20171006150456_1.jpg.5818782bf64e833b41a1dd26e799f8f2.jpg

I'm no expert modeler, but here is the cockpit. I probably scrapped and restarted this 20 times in blender, but the end result looks pretty good in my opinion. It could be way better, but it gets the job done. Note that most of everything featured in this update isn't done visually. This cockpit area will need some work, but the basic idea is there. 20171006150559_1.jpg.fe5d103488f9715a19f1ad0510009ba5.jpg

Finally, I'll show you our progress on B-site. We're still experimenting with textures and such, but the main idea is starting to take shape. Ya know, dingy cargo hold and all. 

Sorry that none of this is in a spoiler, I couldn't find them in the edit menus. (Were they removed?) Anyways, hope you like the progress we're making and take comfort in the fact that were actually aren't dead, just lazy :P Once again, expect to see these changes get pushed to the workshop version in the next couple of days. Tell us what you think, and thanks for reading!

Noodle... 
Some Things that i have to say...
Playing CT on this map sounds a LOT More Easier Than TRs...
The A Bombsite have a LOT of Hidings Positions that you can stay and not be seen
Ex: Outside the Boxes with a Boost, in the Flowers, on the Bar...
And in B Bombsite, if you are an AWPer, you can jump in the Box and Zoom in the corridor. You can see all the Other teams Movements, not mattering the TR Respawn...
The Path connecting the base to the corridor is Very Long...  I Think if a bit shorter, the B is More Competitive...

In A, the Boxes in the Bombsite should be smaller... If i Bang a Flash in A, I do not blind the person who is on top of the box, and this is a major disadvantage...
I'm Continue to Playing and give some more Feedbacks...
Peace!

3 hours ago, Rafael Oliveira said:

Noodle... 
Some Things that i have to say...
Playing CT on this map sounds a LOT More Easier Than TRs...
The A Bombsite have a LOT of Hidings Positions that you can stay and not be seen
Ex: Outside the Boxes with a Boost, in the Flowers, on the Bar...
And in B Bombsite, if you are an AWPer, you can jump in the Box and Zoom in the corridor. You can see all the Other teams Movements, not mattering the TR Respawn...
The Path connecting the base to the corridor is Very Long...  I Think if a bit shorter, the B is More Competitive...

In A, the Boxes in the Bombsite should be smaller... If i Bang a Flash in A, I do not blind the person who is on top of the box, and this is a major disadvantage...
I'm Continue to Playing and give some more Feedbacks...
Peace!

Thanks for the advice :) For all the problems with A-site, I actually redid that whole section of the map for the next update. The new layout looks more believable for a plane map, and gives CT's less places to hide. You are right that in the current public build the map is CT sided, but ever since our last playtest I've been working to balance it out a bit. The changes I made should be subtle enough to not throw everything out of balance, and give the T's a better chance. Overall don't worry, all the problems you mentioned are fixed or being fixed :) 

16 hours ago, Rafael Oliveira said:

Thanks...

But i need to say...

Its an Awesome Map! Me and my Friends plays a Lot this map in Weekend, and all of us Like The idea of The map, and this design...

I give only gameplay feedbacks, and some little things to improve. In general, is an Awesome Map!

Thank you very much :) I'm glad to receive all the feedback I can get!

Do you think to create a Corridor who connects the Middle to the Dark?
It Give more ways to TRs to Enter in A and More position in CT to Watch...

A lot of Positions who i talk in the Feedbacks loses Power with a new way to entrance in A

And i Think that gives  A more competitive. TRs needs a Strategy to enter, and CTs needs that Too...

5 hours ago, Rafael Oliveira said:

Do you think to create a Corridor who connects the Middle to the Dark?
It Give more ways to TRs to Enter in A and More position in CT to Watch...

A lot of Positions who i talk in the Feedbacks loses Power with a new way to entrance in A

And i Think that gives  A more competitive. TRs needs a Strategy to enter, and CTs needs that Too...

Like I said I've already redesigned that entire area of the map, but it's just not live on the current version, so you wont get to see it just yet! My new design actually simplifies the layout more, instead of adding extra passageways. With the linear nature of the map, I feel that adding more passages just makes the T's advance more difficult. Plus, the "old" A site already has 2 terrorist entries, which is normally more than enough. If you look at official maps, most sites only have 1-3 entrances, and considering the limited space I have to work with, I think a third entrance on A wouldn't benefit the map. As well as making the layout more readable, the new design also makes it more sensible, better reflecting the interior shape of a plane, instead of the big wide open space that the old A-Site is. If the map didn't take place on a plane, I may consider adding a third entry, but I feel that my new A-Site design balances the map while making it easier to read. Hopefully that's how it turns out in practice!

Hopefully I'll have some screenshots of the changes up here soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Well Aerospace is getting close to done! I've been working hard the last few days getting the last things dealt with. All the areas are fully detailed and functional now. No new update is live on the workshop, but that will probably come this weekend, I'll tell you guys when! There's lots to talk about, so lets get started! 

workshop.png.fcd183ef637cb5c97dc09edc115216b0.png

The final radar image, all polished and pretty. This image has both floors side-by-side for a full look at everything. I'll use this for the workshop page. The biggest changes you'll see are the totally reshaped A-site and the narrowing of B-site. 

20171116201158_1.jpg.81a97cc1562642eec05ba24db5b61a15.jpg

While on the topic of branding and such, here's the new logo! I don't think I've shown the old one on here, but that's probably for the better, it was pretty bad.

20171116200845_1.jpg.4524869653e3aad2611f0e138fa5a07d.jpg

The real meat and potatoes of this update is the redone A-site. Looks a lot more like a plane, doesn't it? The T's enter from behind the camera, while the CT's have entrances on either side of the bar. This design is more asymmetrical, and I think it gives the T's an easier time pushing and holding ground on their way to A. CT's will also have more options on what angles to hold, either being able to choose to push aggressively to mid or staying back and defending the bombsite.

20171116200850_1.jpg.57da9273162a6900429f08bbb8f5744b.jpg

The area behind the camera from the previous screenshot.

20171116201142_1.jpg.d0a060610df3ac7643424415d1fe0fe9.jpg

The new CT spawn! Since I redid A, I also had to redo the CT spawn. The door in the center of the image leads out to A, and there's one identical to it just off to the left. The way down to B can be seen on the right.

20171116200918_1.jpg.ee6705d01722db4c6acae306fe7d5c62.jpg

No more dev textures on B finally! I experimented with lots of textures, but most of them were too busy. As you can see on the walls in the back, I've opted for a more simple design. It gives your eyes a place to rest and keeps the map tidy looking. 

20171116201131_1.jpg.4f23044dde883b57d38d770ee0f73671.jpg

Since A got changed up, I had to remove the side area with the kitchen that connected to the old bar. I liked the look of that area though, and didn't want to scrap it. I found a use for it down on B in this side room. On the door over to the left you can see it works quite nicely.

20171116201051_1.jpg.7c2ee6b0cc9eb37bf007236a6849a1ea.jpg

It took a while to get this area right. This is the T's path to the lower floor and B. I didn't want to use boring old ladders and I wanted the CT's to have a little more time to get settled on B. 

20171116201100_1.jpg.1a87e4e81b87d270bb5bdd32cd5066df.jpg

The view from the bottom of the last screenshot. The corner at the end leads up to the stairs.

20170819154958_1.jpg.261821b5015857d1c8c038d25fd46b42.jpg

Found this screenshot in my library. Just thought it would be cool for you all to see how far Aerospace has come :)

Overall, Aerospace has been a roller coaster ride of changes and reworks. If I had gotten the layout right the first time I would have been done in July! It's been a great learning experience though, and I'm glad you've all been here for support and suggestions. There will still be things that need improving, but the full release is almost ready. If you find any bugs or things that I could improve on, don't hesitate to comment. Like I said, the updates will go live in a couple days once the final touches are done. Hope you all like it, and have a nice day!

Edited by Noodle King