Jogging

FrieChamp

Today I had the worst idea ever. I went jogging.

After hearing from one of my (female) friends yesterday that it took her 50 minutes of jogging for 7km I became curious. She said that it's quite embarassing, even for a girl, because 50 minutes is such a long time for that distance, but I honestly couldn't recall when or even "if" I ever travelled 7km faster than walking speed (outside a vehicle). "You go to a gym regularly and men run faster anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for you" she said. So I left my house this afternoon, checked the clock before I left - it was "3.55pm", when I came back it was "4.08pm" and I was fuckin exhausted. I felt like in a bad comedy movie. I made it upwards to the end of the street, across the intersection up that following road halfways and had to stop to catch for my breath. I started running again and that was probably mistake number 1 - I went way too fast, this is no excuse but looking at other joggers, I think I should have jogged half the speed, especially for a beginner. Anyway, across the park, which isn't that big admittedly, a little further and then I stopped again, walking to my house (I ran in a circle). Fucking pathetic. It dawns on me now that I haven't done any significant stamina training for the past 4 years and that starts to show.

Does anyone here jog regularly or do any other stamina training? Tips maybe?

I think I need to lie down now :-|

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I jog atleast 2 times a week here in the army. Our first choice of route is around the airport (about 8,6km), it's boring as hell and you have a steep upward climb right at the end. What we do is that we jog in a pace that is barely faster than walking, so that you train your stamina and breathing. Now this sucks major balls cause it's no fun at all. It takes about 50-60 minutes..

To improve your jogging\running, what you can do is to find a nice upward climb (free for choice, depending on your condition), and run it at about 80% (you should be able to talk while running, without gasping for air), then walk down. When you get all the way down, run it again. Repeat this something like 5-8 times.

This type of training should really boost your stamina and speed, by a lot.

If you run 2 times per week, do 1 long jog (like 7km or so), and 1 of the other one (interval training?). Before you start, you could do a test, find something that is like 3km, and run it with all you got. Ofcourse time it. When you've been jogging for about a month, do it again and see if you have improved anything.

Other than that, get a good pair of shoes, and don't run on concrete, you'll mess both your feet and your back.

I don't do any of this. :shifty: I keep myself moderately healthy by walking at a regular pace, without any conditions or goals, when I'm doing something else like getting groceries or visiting a friend. I couldn't run seven km (or even seven miles, stupid metric system!), but I can't think of a single reason why I would need or want to. :v

because you don't want to be a fat cripple at age 45 (at least that's what the doctor always tells me if I'm not doing enough sports ;) ).

You don't need to run 7 km to avoid that! :P Just don't pig out to ridiculous extents or have a genetic predisposition to being overweight! :-D I come from a very long line of people with overactive thyroid glands.

Edit: Seriously though I'm way underweight by American standards.

i combine stamina/endurance sessions with regular workout sessions; usually it's monday wednesday friday. while i dont follow any programme directly, i split the workout up into 3 parts (note that this is in the gym):

part 1: regular warmup. a bit of running/rowing to get the blood circulation going (max a couple of minutes each), various warm up exercises.

part 2: workout. on different days i train different parts of the body; although there are some i always work on, like chest and abdomen.

part 3: 20-30 minutes of endurance training. i usually bike here, while others may prefer to run. since this is on a machine, there's a programme you can follow that raises and lowers the levels internally, while you can shift the "gears" to make it harder or easier for yourself; this is very useful if you need a couple of minutes at a lower level to regain some oxygen. at around 2 minutes left i give it a little extra just to boost results, sort of comparable to a sprint run.

a workout like this will usually take 1:30 hours, excluding showertime etc. you will be absolutely exhausted after doing the endurance training, but you'll feel that you're at the top. the good thing about this is that you burn energy the right way, so you use all your carbohydrates for the first two parts, and then consume pure fat on the third.

I work out 2 to 3 times a week, but that's just power/muscle training. I find it hard to do stamina training after my work out cycle and quite boring too. If I can jog through a nice scenery, meet up with friends to do it, that's more appealing to me right now. I've lost enough weight the past year, that I don't want to do it to get in shape. I want to move more and don't feel like a wuss because I know running around the desks 3 times will have me hyperventilating.

I jog atleast 2 times a week here in the army. Our first choice of route is around the airport (about 8,6km), it's boring as hell and you have a steep upward climb right at the end. What we do is that we jog in a pace that is barely faster than walking, so that you train your stamina and breathing. (...) To improve your jogging\running, what you can do is to find a nice upward climb (free for choice, depending on your condition), and run it at about 80% (you should be able to talk while running, without gasping for air), then walk down.

That gives me a clearer idea of how fast I should go, thanks!

Besides, women love fit men :?

Oh how wrong you are.

Bet yes I do weight training and bike riding when I can. Good stuff.

A fit body isn't everything women look for in a man obviously and from a certain point on your muscles will start to work against you (just don't overdo it guys) but - "women love fit men" I find nothing wrong with that statement.

i can't run for shit, i think its more of a breathing thing than anything, my legs dont hurt i just can't breathe enough and get terrible winded and usually get cramps. i tried running a mile daily with my dog but i couldnt do it so well. i decided to stop doing that and start riding my bike. for most of the summer i rode my bike daily 17 miles at a pretty fast pace. i enjoyed that and it made my calves cool.i probably should have tried running at the end of the summer to see if the biking helped but...i didnt. am i the only one who enjoys running on a treadmill more than outside? i just...like it more though i seem to be the only one.