dm_resistance and a new user looking for help

Linga

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw@ kleinluka concerning your post and person:

if this would be true it would be also illegal to take a picture from a building and making a original texture out of it because you aren't the architect of the building, etc.

i would like to hear some opinions from guys wich know what they are talking about in this situation.

First of all theres no need to be rude about it.

Second, taking somebodies design is copying. Even if you put a ton more details in and its based on a game that came out years ago, it's still the original layout. I don't know if you have changed they layout, or by how much, but if all you did was take the layout and make it look pretty, then yeah... I don't think thats Valve's understanding of "original".

I don't know how you can compare this to taking a picture of a building but ok.

And by the way I think the map looks brilliant, it's one of the best Source maps I have seen so far. So don't get the wrong impression that I'm trying to whack the bitch hammer on you. I'm just giving you some answers.

I only found this one here but it says nothing:

For copyright purposes, a new work based upon an original work to which enough original creative work has been added so that the new work represents an original work of authorship. Examples of derivative works include a translation of a book into another language, a jazz version of a popular tune and a movie based on a play.

source: http://www.nolo.com/lawcenter

@kleinluka: sorry for that, i don't wanted to be rude. especially not to you. i don't know if you know where i'am from. it's linga from thewall.de ^^

the problem isn't that i won't accept your idea of copyrights. i share it. but in this case the law isn't that clear and i tought this will never be a problem.

i saw it from an other direction. i havn't tought about selling this map as a product with giving it to a contest where you probably can win money for your work. my mistake. shame on me.

but i think the main question atm is: is my interpretation of this blood map a 'bad' copy or not and will i get disqualified from the contest or not.

i'm thinking about asking the autor of the original map for his approval as a last chance but i don't know where to find this guy =P

thx ferret :) i think you all can understand my anger. sorry for this.

do you remember my dumb email regards this lightbeams in dm_rebar? and look what i have done with your help :P

your absolutely right. i go to bed now and i hope i will dream of doing the next contest a better way =P

Thats not the matter. If it isn't legal to enter with this and Valve doesn't recognize I will get in trouble because Monolith (developer of blood) got the copyright.

I've just left the lead level designer of blood a mail. i hope he will agree with this but i think he can't. i don't know :-?