IN THIS THREAD I WILL ANSWER YOUR SOURCE QUESTIONS

zaphod

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KeyValues Error: unexpected CR/LF in string in file materials/KAMI/K5_WALL03.vmt

LightmappedGeneric, 

KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer:  got empty keyname in file materials/KAMI/K5_WALL03.vmt

LightmappedGeneric, 

KeyValues Error: unexpected CR/LF in string in file materials/KAMI/K5_WALL03.vmt

LightmappedGeneric, 

KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer:  got empty keyname in file materials/KAMI/K5_WALL03.vmt

LightmappedGeneric, 

LightmappedGeneric, 

LightmappedGeneric, 

LightmappedGeneric, 

LightmappedGeneric, 
I seem to get that in the compile window when I try to use a texture I made. Here is VMT file. I don't see any thing missing :X

"LightmappedGeneric"

{

"$basetexture "kami/k5_wall03"

"$bumpmap "kami/k5_wall03_normal" 

}

yea, the way all this stuff works is very file intensive. I wish it would compile everything into one texture file. My record is 160 files for one breakable model. Sometimes it just gets plain rediculous.

it would be cool if it was a type of pak file that each model had so all its info is self contained and seperated, this is going to be pure madness

yea, the way all this stuff works is very file intensive. I wish it would compile everything into one texture file. My record is 160 files for one breakable model. Sometimes it just gets plain rediculous.

it would be cool if it was a type of pak file that each model had so all its info is self contained and seperated, this is going to be pure madness

man this is gonna suck. I guess valve doesn't mind the chaos.

I huh well "discovered" something else...

When you have a look at the cobble vmf you notice that each window model has a hole behind it. If you have a lot of windows this takes a bit of your compiling time cause it has to create an extra vis with each window.

nodraw07.jpg

nodraw08.jpg

So what i did is this... I just removed the hole and replaced by a nodraw textured brush. There was no hole but the lighting from the model was fucked up.

light.jpg

So I added a info_lighting entity to the model. And the problem was fixed. If you can use that same info_lighting for almost every window it saves some precious compile time... and it doesnt have that hole.

1_entity_+_no_holes.jpg

So we can use the same info_lighting for all the models, where we normally have a hole for each model.

So 1 entity and no holes D:!

maybe it has something to do with all the same textures winding up into alot of different wad files in halflife... maybe they thought it would be smaller (filesize-wise) to keep each texture seperate, like... my cstrike folder har around 50 wads in it, and i bet i could delete at least 5 or 6 of them, and not loose one texture (but some maps wouldnt work tho)...

if you see what i mean?

Other question for Zaph

When you put sv_cheats and type impulse 107, the name of texture infront of you will show up in the console. So I did that with the shiny tile floor from de_dust and it gave a strange number after the texture name

] impulse 107

Texture: maps/de_dust/de_dust/tilefloor02_640_1232_72

] impulse 107

Texture: maps/de_dust/de_dust/tilefloor02_0_1376_72

] impulse 107

Texture: maps/de_dust/de_dust/tilefloor02_0_1648_72

I'm trying to get some specular looking textures ingame... I have lots of troubles.. but what the hell are those numbers?

Other question for Zaph

When you put sv_cheats and type impulse 107, the name of texture infront of you will show up in the console. So I did that with the shiny tile floor from de_dust and it gave a strange number after the texture name

] impulse 107

Texture: maps/de_dust/de_dust/tilefloor02_640_1232_72

] impulse 107

Texture: maps/de_dust/de_dust/tilefloor02_0_1376_72

] impulse 107

Texture: maps/de_dust/de_dust/tilefloor02_0_1648_72

I'm trying to get some specular looking textures ingame... I have lots of troubles.. but what the hell are those numbers?

I have no idea :)