Mcsnoogies

[WIP] De_Fend

Hello Mapcore!

I'm very proud to reveal the release candidate version #1 for my competitive defuse map, De_Fend.

Workshop Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=459929479

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/fLNzA#0

4k resolution Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/w7SvN#0

I've spent quite a bit of time in the past few weeks since the reddit playtest tweaking things and adding more detail everywhere. I'm happy to say one of my friends decided to jump on board and make quite a few custom 3d models for the map. He was a pleasure to work with and always was receptive of my opinions. On top of that he did an awesome job :) 

De_Fend_RC1

Theme: Fend Hospital & Medical Center has been taken over by a terrorist organization.  Terrorist's must destroy the evidence of their wrongdoings before it can be seized by the government.  As Counter-terrorists you are there to stop them.

Location: In Washington State near Mt. St. Helens (used in the panorama)

Map: Defuse map designed for competitive 5vs5.

Credit to:
3d Models: 
        CoachBob
Testers:
        Deathcrazy
        Renegade
        CoachBob
        Creative
        Neeso
        Bop
        Kahoob
        The Reddit Playtesting Community :D

Tophatwaffle for some sweet textures from his realworldtextures pack. 
Skybex for his awesome wheelchair, Ball, and Hot air balloon models from his cs_workout map :) 

I hope everyone has fun.  :D  

And good luck to everyone.

de_fend_rc1_radar_specwithsymbols.thumb.

de_fend_rc1.jpg

de_fend_rc1_003.jpg

de_fend_rc1_005.jpg

de_fend_rc1_007.jpg

Edited by Mcsnoogies

Quick question to all.  The theme of a map is one of the most important things in map making.  Is making the theme of my map a community college a poor idea?  It's certainly not modeled after anything in real life and is entirely fictional,  but I was wondering.. Is this too sensitive of a theme to be hopeful of being in a future operation?  Should I change it now?

First of all, yes, it's a bit "sensitive" to bigger companies like Valve but not to an extent not to make it.

By entering this competition you should aim solely for it and not an operation.

It might sound harsh but I see more and more people making maps just to get them into an operation, it's not what it's about. Valve rewards people who work for what they love, and mapping scene has been here for a looong long time.

Map making is an art, and art is freedom of speech, so whatever you make is up to you. Don't let that put you down! I have made many horrible maps in the past. Some guy even made a map set in his school (although he got expelled). 

Of course, I'll be honest here, In my opinion the theme is a bit boring. Apartments, offices and anything along those lines are a common sight in many maps.

You should try making a setting, for example, in Egypt. Have some pyramids in the background. Noone has done it yet, as far as I am aware.

Good luck!

Posted a workshop link for playtesting!

Thanks for the response guma.  I get what you mean but I'm not purely making this map for it to be in a valve operation.  I read a post from FMPONE about whats "okay" for this tourney that he posted on reddit the day the competition started where he said to not do anything that valve wouldn't feature in an operation.  So I was using that as a guideline for asking my question.   Like last years competition and my entry de_coalition  I am purely making this map for the competition.  I agree with everything you said though and thank you again :)

Is making the theme of my map a community college a poor idea?

​some guy did get arrested back in the day for making a map of his school. don't remember the full story, but yeah, it's for sure a sensitive thing to some people.

Quick question to all.  The theme of a map is one of the most important things in map making.  Is making the theme of my map a community college a poor idea?  It's certainly not modeled after anything in real life and is entirely fictional,  but I was wondering.. Is this too sensitive of a theme to be hopeful of being in a future operation?  Should I change it now?

​Tbh when I first saw it, train station was my first thought. It looks like a big one such as St Pancras or London Liverpool Street.

Hey all just a quick update.  As much as I thought it would be a good theme as a community college,  I decided to change it.  I'm all for free speech... But I'm also not out to offend anyone, and I certainly don't want to promote school shootings in any way at all, they are terrible and always will be.  That being said,  I decided to go with a hospital that has been recently abandoned and scheduled for demolition after a much larger hospital was built in town.  Terrorists have set up a counterfeiting operation and were on a lunch break when they got wind of the FBI about to take them down, and must destroy their evidence.  Ct's must prevent them.

I feel this will be a much more solid theme with quite a bit more details to work with that will help tie the map with the theme.  Not much has to change with brushwork as far as the layout goes, which is nice.  I will be making custom textures throughout, as well as working on custom models that will be needed for the theme.  I can't wait to see what it looks like completed and can say I am much more excited about this theme than the old.  I just hope I can get as much done that I want in the time frame.

Thanks for reading and any opinions are appreciated.

Hey all, pretty big update with the last patch.  Lost of stuff has changed.  3 main points being that the map has been nearly fully blocked out, some Custom textures have been made and added in, and some big optimization improvements have been made   With one month left my road map looks like it's mainly consisting of art passes (details), with some optimization tweaks to go with it. Would love to hear any feedback that you have to give and thanks for looking. :)