Sprony

The contest has ended, now what?

This is the general scorecard that the judges will be using to score each map. There are 4 judges, Adam "SyncError" Pyle, Ferdinand "cityy" List, Matthew "Lunaran" Breit, and myself. Scores from each map will be averaged between the 4 judges and winners selected from the highest scores.

Scorecard-RC.png

We haven't come to a conclusion for when we'll all be finishing the judging procedures. With the holidays coming up, we'll all naturally be very busy with work/family/life, etc. There are 16 completed map submissions in total and we hope to run though each map thoroughly. Please be patient and we'll try to come up with decisions as fairly and promptly as possible.

Best of luck to everyone! Hope everyone can polish/complete their maps in the meantime, there are some really promising looking stuff coming out of this contest.

Edited by Obsidian

This is the general scorecard that the judges will be using to score each map. There are 4 judges, Adam "SyncError" Pyle, Ferdinand "cityy" List, Matthew "Lunaran" Breit, and myself. Scores from each map will be averaged between the 4 judges and winners selected from the highest scores.

Scorecard-RC.png

We haven't come to a conclusion for when we'll all be finishing the judging procedures. With the holidays coming up, we'll all naturally be very busy with work/family/life, etc. There are 16 completed map submissions in total and we hope to run though each map thoroughly. Please be patient and we'll try to come up with decisions as fairly and promptly as possible.

Best of luck to everyone! Hope everyone can polish/complete their maps in the meantime, there are some really promising looking stuff coming out of this contest.

Impressive!

looks good to me. i like that gameplay is worth the majority. it does seem like a lot of work for the judges though. consider simplifying it if it takes too long to run through each map.

Edited by pat h

i thought about this more and i decided that, while i wouldn't mind if you kept this judging strategy, i would rather the score cards be more flexible. it's the fixed worth of each specific subsection that bothers me.

i understand why you want to be specific - it helps standardize things. but the more specific you get, the more you bias the scores, unfortunately. for example, let's say i'm a judge and i want to give an 18/20 to a map for its visuals because it has some of the best lighting/atmosphere i've ever seen. sadly, i can only give the map 5 points for its lighting, and i am forced give the same share of points to textures even though they may not be as important to the visuals in this case. in other words, i don't think the different subsections are going to be of equal worth all the time.

like i said, i think it's a good score card and it's not a big deal if you choose to do things this way, but i'd just feel a lot more comfortable with the judges doing what they want with the points in the four main sections (Gamplay - 40, Technical - 20, Presentation - 20, Creativity - 20) and just having the subsections as things to keep in mind while evaluating.

it would be interesting to hear what other people think about this.

I understand you, Pat,

This table is very sophisticated. So much, that person, who never played this game can easy judge maps. But for well experienced judge (we have) it may be too binding. Maybe they would like to have more "free hand".

On the other hand, now it is very easy to watch judge's thinking and compare different maps in different elements.

So, I am ok with both ways of rating. But If I was a judge, I would like to have rating system suggested by Pat.

I think the chart is a good way for us mappers to recieve feedback and to keep it in check for further mapping.

It also gives an insight for non-participants how the ranking of the maps came together.

For judging i think the judges can come to correct ranking without any chart...

The chart just makes it transparent for non-judges.

Edited by Takkie

Some good points there Pat. Judging is always going to be subjective, but we try to be as fair as possible. I think what we wanted to prevent is too many undefined points floating around without any clear guidelines on how to use them. In the same way, this can cause equal imbalances, do we give full points to someone with amazing texture work but ignore the fact that their lighting is weak? They do need to be docked points for things they do poorly. I'm not saying one way of judging is better than the other, just that both methods have their inherent flaws.

On the flip side, the Creativity section is kind of a point free-for-all, if a map displays amazing lighting and atmosphere, a judge can easily award full points for lighting as well as full points to Originality of Design and Outside of the Box, resulting in a total of 15 points.