Daniel Nilsson

DM-NewDamage [WiP] UE4 Whitebox Challenge

First iteration of my map for the UE4 whitebox challenge. It's a 2-4 player Deathmatch level. As a first iteration it feels pretty nice, some areas need more meaning and attention. I have some artifacts in the lighting but that shouldn't be a problem to fix. I feel that the area by the jump-pad with rounded walls is the weakest at the moment and will receive more attention.

post-19361-0-95242500-1410467408_thumb.p

post-19361-0-54099700-1410467413_thumb.p

post-19361-0-55302900-1410467417_thumb.p

post-19361-0-58591100-1410467420_thumb.p

cool - at first glance it could be a little tight, people like to perform dodging (double tap movement direction) and I think in this map you'd get a bit stuck.

Also, when you have players shooting at you spaces feel even smaller, because your concentrating on shooting them - so I would scale up the corridors a bit. I think there was a map in UT, the castle in space, which was really narrow - it definitely was unique and can add a lot of fun if you get the right weapon.

I really like all the bars and features blocking movement but allowing you to shoot through.  Agree with people saying to increase some of the scale though, there are lots of positions where you seem to have put lots of thought into the views the player gets and how vulnerable they are in those positions, but only a couple of steps of movement between them.  In a frantic firefight lots of the strategizing will just go out the window and at that point cramped spaces will just frustrate players.

My intention was to do a movie with voice over by now, to explain some of my design decisions. But unfortunately I've been struck with the cold of the century, and I thought that I should spare you the trouble of listening to my coughing and nasal voice. 

I'll upload a video in the coming days instead and here's a little sneak-peak on the progression: 

xvvmD2h.png

So finally I have recorded a second video of the map with some changes I made. I also did a voice over (sidenote: Still got that cold and English is not my native tongue so bare with me ^^ ) 
I thought some about the things you said before with the scale and the path to the RL being a bit too tough. What do you think now? And if you got any other feedback please don't hesitate! :) 

btw. Forgot to mention a thing in the video I thought was good, by the catwalk I put the health pickups on the wall so if you want to get the you must jump towards them and wall jump back if you don't want to fall down.

/ Daniel

Almost done with my submission, going away this weekend so need to submit it tomorrow morning. So here comes a last update before the final submission! Will probably just record a video and bake the final lighting tomorrow. Quite happy with how the gameplay feels so I will definitively keep developing it after the challenge.

cgsEqUq.jpg

7j0gnFr.jpg

PASJTdZ.jpg

ApWpbUQ.jpg

eOO95Uz.jpg

uZouet1.jpg

Edited by Daniel Nilsson

The following is a copy of what I submitted in the submission thread, just thought it would be nice to have the whole progression collected in one place:

Submission thread: 

DM-NewDamage

So here's my submission!

Link to Map and assets: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6rVDrqTYIfaNW5vaUJwczZXcVU&usp=sharing

It's a small Deatmatch level for 2-4 players.

video below does not have the levels final design and look but I talk about the levels design

9iW5zdI.jpg

V4mHUeG.jpg

Y8lGF90.jpg

e5zfSou.jpg

6U88WzV.jpg

Edited by Daniel Nilsson