[Mirror's Edge] "Overtime"

Chimeray

I made this custom level for Mirror's Edge in the last couple of weeks/months, been working my ass off to get it finished and it's finally done!

It's actually a lot of fun, so download and play it if you'd like! Or just watch the walkthrough video... But it's a walkthrough, so the whole thing's a spoiler :P

It should take about 10 minutes, but if you know everything then you can do it in 3,5.

Background: In the tutorial level of Mirror's Edge, Merc talks about your fall that took you out of commission for a while. My level is a prologue to Mirror's Edge and explains why she got injured. The level starts off after a long day of work, but it's not over yet because Faith gets a call to do some overtime. You must retrieve a bag inside a building that Celeste hid there because she dropped out, so you need to finish her assignment instead.

Walkthrough Video:

Download:

http://www.lukasvandaele.net/Mirrors_Ed ... e_v1_1.zip

Screenshots:

The High-res version of these screenshots can be found on my portfolio if you'd like them.

overtime1.jpg

overtime2.jpg

overtime3.jpg

overtime4.jpg

overtime5.jpg

overtime6.jpg

overtime7.jpg

overtime8.jpg

overtime9.jpg

overtime10.jpg

So... What do you think, any constructive feedback? I'd very much appreciate it considering the amount of time I've spent on it...

Thanks! And enjoy!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can open the unreal editor if you add -editor in the executable, you need to copy 2 folders (wxRC and wxRes) from another unreal game (like UT3 or something) inside the binaries folder of Mirror's Edge so it doesn't crash.

There's a bunch of tutorials on it on youtube and on the "on mirrors edge forum".

There's some quirks though :( Modding for Mirror's Edge isn't very mod friendly... If you play in the editor you die after 10 seconds or faster (if you jump you die faster, yeah...weird) , it's because of some copy protection apparantly. From what I've heard the steam version doesn't have this problem. This doesn't happen if you fire it up in the real game however so that's good.

- Brush wireframe doesn't work, but you can press w to hide your objects and go to the wireframe anyways so it isn't much of an issue...

- Lighting only/texture density/light complexity views don't work.

- Your map NEEDS to be named after a real ingame map or it fails to open and it needs to be in the unpublished folder.

- You need to select every object and check "force mip streaming" or otherwise they're all blurry in the game.

- I don't think you can make custom packages, just place everything in your level package.

- Couldn't get checkpoints to work so I added a teleportation system if you fall of a building but if you "really" die, well then it's all from the beginning. Should only happen if you die by cops or happen to fall on an unfortunate ledge :P

- In the end of my project lighting crashed every other while, so build lighting, save, restart, build again...

- Tutorials for volumes to climb/zipline/whatever can be found "on mirrors edge forum, modding section"

If you can overcome these issues then making a map for Mirror's Edge is a blast, the mechanics are just awsome! :)

Not so much random errors so that's good, and unfortunately... no Beast lighting :P

In case you want to look at my map to see how things are done, place the same folder structure in "unpublished" instead of "published" and then you can open it. There's a bunch of examples on "on mirrors edge forum" as well but most of them are either timetrials or "funmaps", not a lot of singleplayer levels.

If you find any bugs post here! :)

First of all: I like what I see, missed some of the red-overlays on some objects but nothing too big.

Technical question: Can you use ME light baking system when you mod yourself? because the lighting and shadows looked different to me when in the game (although I haven't played it in ages).

No, you can only use the default UE3 lighting system. If anyone can get their BEAST lighting engine to work however... that'd be great! But I'm guessing it just isn't included on disc...

First of all: I like what I see, missed some of the red-overlays on some objects but nothing too big.

Technical question: Can you use ME light baking system when you mod yourself? because the lighting and shadows looked different to me when in the game (although I haven't played it in ages).

No, you can only use the default UE3 lighting system. If anyone can get their BEAST lighting engine to work however... that'd be great! But I'm guessing it just isn't included on disc...

Maybe ask WesleyTack about it? Afterall, he was working on ME.