Collaborative SP game?

twiz

Didn't know where to put this, but I figured this would be the best place...

I've seen a bunch of continue-this-story based threads.. so I thought it might be an interseting exercise for us to do a little continue-this-game kinda thing. Since I guess most of us know how to map for HL2, we should use the source engine.

I don't expect it to be anything fancy.. I doubt people will want to put a few months effort into a level.. Just keep it simple, doesn't have to be really pretty, just good gameplay and interesting plot. I think the easiest way to do it is just to sorta write our own HL episode, just use the baddies and weapons from HL2. But I'd really like to see something completely different from HL/HL2, just poach the enemies. Entirely different storyline, etc. If someone wants to model in a new weapon or bad guy and someone wants to code it, that'd be super cool.

I don't care if the plot has holes and shit, thats bound to happen with somethin like this. Just thought it'd be a neat lil project to work on, I personally have never done any single player stuff and I'd like to. Obviously we can't have 8 people working on the same level at once, so we'd have to designate who goes next.

Horrible idea?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferrett, I agree with you its not easy to do. As spartan said environments can tell a lot about what is going on. We could do some voice acting, even if it sounds like shit, who cares? I have a great digital recording device(M-Audio) and some pretty good mics, I wouldn't mind recording some small stuff. But it is the small stuff that drives a good storyline, the marine chatter in HL1 was a huge reason it was so good... Honestly when I got to Xen it got a little tired.

I was thinking of doing one of the different perspective add-ons, like Opposing Force or Blue shift, like you mentioned Spartan. We could do a Combine one, I don't think that has been done yet. That way we could use all the HL2 stuff and the basic background story, and write our own series of events that happened to one combine soldier along the way. However to do this we'd have to have someone do some coding, we'd need the rebels to act like enemies and the combine guys to act as teammates.. I don't know how hard that'd be to switch them around.. maybe as simple as re-naming the models so they get switched in-game? I like this idea, it gives us a good open setting to start from, we have all the models, weapons, and textures already made for us(although custom stuff is always welcome)... I like it.

If we have even a couple guys interested, I'd like to try it. I could make new hand-models to look like a combine soldier.

Both combine and rebel point-of-view mods have already been done. :(

Though I have to say Combine Destiny got a pretty bad review at Planet Half-Life so it may be worth another try.

d'oh, well who cares lets do it anyways, it makes the most sense.

Well if you can code in things like the combine sniper rifle, rappling and the dropship it would make the mod really stand out.

But I want to get back to the orginal idea here. How exactly is it collaborative again?

you can still tell the story through the environments.

Isn't that what Minerva does? I still haven't got around to playing that for some reason.

However to do this we'd have to have someone do some coding, we'd need the rebels to act like enemies and the combine guys to act as teammates.. I don't know how hard that'd be to switch them around.. maybe as simple as re-naming the models so they get switched in-game?

That's not necessary, just use an ai_relationship entity in Hammer and set the rebels to hate the player and the combine to adore him.

That's not necessary, just use an ai_relationship entity in Hammer and set the rebels to hate the player and the combine to adore him.

Well that makes it easy. Thanks insta.

As for how is this collaborative, its just that everyone writes their own little 'episode' of the game. Collaborative story telling I guess you could call it.

I just think it'd be interesting to see where the game goes.