Collaborative SP game?

twiz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great idea.

To make it from a combine point of view has already been done as mentioned, but we could do a better job, right?

And how much space does each one get? 512x512 units is a bit small I think.. I'd let everyone joining in have 1024x1024 units, cause then you get room for a little more than just one single room or extremely small outdoor area.

I'm in!

Sounds like a great idea.

To make it from a combine point of view has already been done as mentioned, but we could do a better job, right?

And how much space does each one get? 512x512 units is a bit small I think.. I'd let everyone joining in have 1024x1024 units, cause then you get room for a little more than just one single room or extremely small outdoor area.

I'm in!

Originally I had just planned on everyone doing a decent size level, so we can get some sort of plot going. If everyone does really small ones, I don't really think it'd play well. I'm not going to put a limit on map size, it should be make whatever size you want to make it. This way people won't shy away from it because they don't have time or want to make a full map, but if someone wants to they can. If we get a handful of rather small levels in a row, we can always combine them into one larger level to cut down on load points.

I'm going to start on the first one soon, tonight or tomorrow probably, I just have to think up a way to start it. Of course I'm always open to suggestions. I was thinking of making you part of an 'elite' squad who's job is to take out key Rebel positions, and such and such happens where your team and transportation is taken out, you're the only guy left. You have to work your way back to a combine base or something. That should leave it open enough for someone else to take it and run with it wherever they feel it should go.

On that note.. I'm not sure if we should go about sharing our ideas too publicly, I'd like to keep it as spontaneous as possible. I only posted my idea since it is the beginning of the 'game', and since this is going to really dictate the general plot, I thought it'd be good to get everyone's opinion on it. That way if someone doesn't like it, has a better idea, or wants to improve on it before it gets started they have the chance to voice their opinion. After all, everyone is making this game so I think everyone should have an input on to what its going to be about.

However.. To keep things moving along nicely, I think the person currently mapping should disclose their little plot to the next mapper, so they can start brewing ideas early and possibly start on it before the previous map is finished. Also, the previous mapper should at least send the next mapper the last bits of his/her level so we don't have to waste time re-mapping the end of the previous level to make it continuous. Either that or we do some cheesy thing like ending in an elevator every time like wolf3d and a zillion other mid-90s shooters. That would kill the whole idea of a continual plot.

I like dissonance's idea too, but I'd rather not discuss that in here, I'd like to keep it on topic... in another thread I'd be happy to talk about it. :D

So, do you guys think thats a good basic plot?

Actually..when you mention "key rebel hideout" I have just started my own little singleplayer map that could easily be a rebel hideout..an old abandoned factory..I'll keep developing it and keep it open for this project here.. I'm starting to like this more and more and I'm definatly up for it!

Nope, no M16 I'm afraid.

Could make one, can defintely get permission to use a high quality one that someone else has made.

I've just had the idea of setting it in some alternate HL2 future where the war is still going about 10 years in the future and the rebels have got themselves a bit more organised - so they've got slightly better weapons and maybe combine style armour. Could make for quite interesting scenarios IMO.

Combine sniper rifle also doable. All of this needs a coder though, not that any of it would be particularly complex (from what little I know).

Hmm glad to see we've got some people serious about this. I've got the starting plot written, the scenery is in my head.. so I'm ready to go. I can put about 3 hours into it a night if I can stay focused(my ADD is getting bad.. should see a doctor about it...). I'm fairly excited about this, and having all the textures I need ready to go certainly helps. I'll try to keep the intro level pretty short.

Schmung, maybe I got a different impression of HL2 than you did, but I figured outside the walls of the main combine cities it was pretty much just open ground, either inhabited by aliens or rebels. Its been a while since I've played but thats what I remember. I figure the rebels have to have some good hideouts and bunkers etc out there. At least thats what I imagined :D. But we could certainly do it further in the future, theres no reason why not. I like the idea of better weapons and armor, etc for the rebels. Maybe the mission for your character is to destroy a secret foundry that the rebels had built to make weapons and armor... I like it! That'd work nice with the setting for the level I'm planning.

#collabsp on IRC for anyone interested.

I'll try putting together a website soon, I'm not the best at web dev but it should be good enough to serve its purpose. I have begun the first map, its fairly small so it shouldn't take me extremely long to finish it.

Rick_D, as far as I understand, you do models?

I, however, am only interested in playing it, I'll tweak/uv/compile any models or such if ppl need that.

I am gonna need a model for one map. I don't know what this thing is called, but.. When people blow up things, the have a wire connected to the explosives, that again are connected to a box. This box has a handle that you push down, and then the explosives go off.

make dimensions (wire/"rope" length and path; and the actual "box" itself - whether it's on a raised surface or what, etc) using blocks in Hammer, save as a vmf and send it to me (or upload somewhere etc) and I'll see what I can do. Does it need to be animated (the handle going down)? Because I haven't learnt to animate and I doubt I'll have time to do so - I might be able to get someone to animate it for me though, so just let me have some more details.