De_Hongya [WIP]

Today I spent some time optimising the compile times by trying to reduce the amount of numportals (5h to compile on Full HDR only). I started with 9118 numportals with only major brushes being converted to details. After running around the map and converting a bunch more brushes to details I was able to reduce the numportals down to 5548. Lastly I added an optimised skybox which drastically reduced the numportals to 2145 (3-35min to compile).

Next up I'll be adding more detail to my maps building and reduce the amount of unnecessary brushes used currently.

EDIT: Compile times seem to be ranged. Sometimes it will load super quick and sometimes it will hang at 9.. (no I don't have other applications on hogging CPU usage)

Edited by Vintendi

1 hour ago, Vintendi said:

Today I spent some time optimising the compile times by trying to reduce the amount of numportals (5h to compile on Full HDR only). I started with 9118 numportals with only major brushes being converted to details. After running around the map and converting a bunch more brushes to details I was able to reduce the numportals down to 5548. Lastly I added an optimised skybox which drastically reduced the numportals to 2145 (3-35min to compile).

Next up I'll be adding more detail to my maps building and reduce the amount of unnecessary brushes used currently.

EDIT: Compile times seem to be ranged. Sometimes it will load super quick and sometimes it will hang at 9.. (no I don't have other applications on hogging CPU usage)

Make sure that non blocking and complex geometry is func_detail. 

1 hour ago, Vintendi said:

At the very beginning of development, all brushes i converted to func_detail. Because it is doesn't metter for final results, but save you're time. If after compile you have a bad performance on map, you should made simple base brush inside func_detail geometry (i was made it after final visual results.) 

9 minutes ago, untor said:

At the very beginning of development, all brushes i converted to func_detail. Because it is doesn't metter for final results, but save you're time. If after compile you have a bad performance on map, you should made simple base brush inside func_detail geometry (i was made it after final visual results.) 

I usually do basic geometry with brushes, and add the more detail over it as a func_detail. 

Edited by RedSkittleFox

18 minutes ago, RedSkittleFox said:

I usually do basic geometry with brushes, and add the more detail over it as a func_detail. 

Yeah that's what I did mostly however I didn't plan very well in the beginning which resulted in a lot of wasted time.

Cool stuff @Vintendi!!

Be sure to present an overview or workshop link once you got a solid build, so we can see what the whole thing looks like! ?

Good luck!!

On 10/2/2019 at 1:38 AM, Vintendi said:

Currently working on a map set in china... location will be revealed later.

Wild guess here, but is it located in Hongya? ?

Your theme is shaping up nicely! Watch out for those long sight lines though. The area in your first image seems really long and fairly wide, and leads directly into another large open space which I’m guessing will be a Bombsite. If you weren’t planning on adding more geometry along that route, you’re probably going to want to add some additional cover of some sort. Just be careful not to try and force a solution. Many times the issue is inherent to the way you’ve designed a space and anything else you do to it is more of a bandaid than a solve. This especially applies to large open spaces. You run the risk of adding too much cover to compensate, which consequently creates more angles and adds complexity (in a non-deliberate way).

• Mapcore Supporters

Funds go towards hosting and license costs, Discord server boosts, and more. If you'd like to donate, check out our Patreon announcement.