sn0wsh00

[CS:GO] Round-to-round map randomization guide

A few months ago, I wrote a guide on how to vary CS:GO maps round-to-round using logic_case and logic_eventlistener entities. Would be nice to hear some feedback from you guys regarding my guide's accuracy, as well as any additions I should add:

How to Randomize Your Map Round-to-Round in Hammer

I owe of lot of the guide's contents to Reddit user Nymphalow and Valve's developer wiki. I do have some questions regarding some game_player_equip flags, however. Specifically, if you scroll down to the "Starting Weapons" section, you'll see that, for the game_player_equip entity named "equip_players," I say that you should only enable the "Only Strip Same Weapon Type" flag. In Nymphalow's original post, on the other hand, Nymphalow says that the "equip_players" game_player_equip entity only enable the "Use Only" flag. In my experience, though, having only "Use Only" checked caused a crapton of weapons to spawn, while having only the "Only Strip Same Weapon Type" flag checked caused the trigger_multiple entity to correctly spawn only 1 weapon. Hopefully, someone knowledgeable can help clear up this issue. I think I figured out how to use "Use Only" with game_player_equip and trigger_multiple. See post here.

You probably won't be using many of these randomization techniques in a competitive map (heard people really disliked cs_havana for doing just that). However, I do think there's a bunch of potential for round-to-round variation in AIM, Coop and obstacle course maps, for those who want to give those maps more replayability. In fact (self-promotion ahead!), here are some maps I've created that uses some of the concepts explained in my guide:

Edited by sn0wsh00
wording

Ok, so I probably figured out the whole "use only" thing with regards to game_player_equip. It turns out what Nymphalow probably meant to say was:

1. For "equip_player", make sure that "Use Only" and "Only Strip Weapon Type" are checked
  2. In the trigger_multiple output, the "Via this input" field should be "Use" instead of "TriggerForActivatedPlayer." Given that "Use" is by default a non-FGD input, "Use" will appear red.

I'll update the guide to incorporate this new way to randomize weapons once I get close to finishing my aim_six_arenas spinoff.

Shoutout to @Kokopelli's Snowball Fight - Country House map for showing how to correctly do this.

Edited by sn0wsh00
Formatting, credit

Talk about really randomizing your stuff: OrelStealth has just released a map with procedural generation:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2362387875

Skimming through the decompiled files, it looks like most of the procedural generation was done through Vscript combined with a bunch of prop_dynamic entities.

Edited by sn0wsh00
link