Level Design Portfolio Feedback (Junior/intern Level)

JollyHolly

Hey everyone!

I am currently in the middle of looking for an internships. I have created a portolio with Individual and team projects, and i am wondering if someone with a bit more experience could take a look at it. Both from how its presented but also it's content. This looking-for-internship process has not been going as smooth as i was hoping, and it would be great if someone could point out my own weak-spots with fresh eyes! I also attached my resume, should anyone be more interested in giving feedback there!

johannes-olsson.se

Thanks in Advance!

Johannes Erik Olsson

JohannesOlssonCV.pdf

Edited by JollyHolly
Changed Docx R3esume for PDF

Hey!

The font used for your name and role in the upper left corner is a lot more rounded and doesn't go well with the other font on your page. I'd recommend taking a look at what pairings of fonts work well together over here: https://fontpair.co/

The same name/role image also makes the page feel a bit messy, because each row has a different starting point:
Title.png.70b10dcdea9be51afab2dfdda77899bf.png

I would put the rows in that image so that each row has the same horizontal starting point as the projects title on the page. I think that small thing would make the entire page feel a lot cleaner. :D 

I find it a bit odd that your Dying Light map is listed as an "in-house engine" and not a individual project. 

On the banners of Skylar & Plux and Trial you mention level art but don't really go into or show if you have modeled anything for the projects as far as I can see. 

But overall your documentation seems pretty dope to me. I love small touches here and there, especially that you show multiple .cs files that you can open and close, integrated into the site design. 

Saving your CV as a .docx file can be a bit risky by the way as some of the formatting might get lost for different peeps. I'd go for a .pdf which is more reliable when it comes to that.  

I am looking for work myself at the moment so maybe take my feedback with a grain of salt. I have been where you are and looked for internships before though. :) 

I wouldn't worry too much, just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find something soon! :D  

Thanks for the feedback, especially with the docx and font pair. I had not thought about that. I agree that it is a bit weird regarding the Dying Light map, however i noticed that sometimes people would miss it if it were put under "individual projects". I wanted to stress that i have worked with one in-house engine! 

anyways, great feedback, thanks!

Edited by JollyHolly
Words are hard

Ah okay, composition and propping makes sense as level art to me. Though prop modelling is the first thing that pops into my head as I see "level art". 
It's up for interpretation a bit as a lot of level artist and level designer tasks are so interchangeable with each other depending on the company. I think it's probably safe to call it level art though. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't read everything in detail, but the first of it is : It's very good. 

i like the classic front page presentation (i have the same), It's responsive, it's simple, it's efficient. The sections about your projects are super cool. 

Good job, keep it that way. 

Would you mind if I use it during my lessons to students? 

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2018 at 9:31 AM, TheOnlyDoubleF said:

I didn't read everything in detail, but the first of it is : It's very good. 

i like the classic front page presentation (i have the same), It's responsive, it's simple, it's efficient. The sections about your projects are super cool. 

Good job, keep it that way. 

Would you mind if I use it during my lessons to students? 

Sorry i did not see your reply! Yes of course it is Okay to use it, and i hope you did!
If you need technical details of how i made it or similar i would be happy to help!

Thank you

• 7 months later...