Thurnip

Untitled1 - Thurnip's Entry

Nice. I asked Steam to delete Team Arena, to try fix that texture issues.

Steam deleted all my quake3 folder and started downloading Q3A from scratch.

All .map deleted.

I have a version at office but I think i lost all my Saturday  and sunday work.

You could try to recover the files with a Ubuntu installation on an USB drive. Have used it before, here's a tutorial (not sure it it was the one I used). If you want to try it, try to use the computer as little as possible, so idealy download the linux install from another computer. There's also other software you can use but this worked for me and was quite simple.

edit: forgot the link :) http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13706/recover-deleted-files-on-an-ntfs-hard-drive-from-a-ubuntu-live-cd/

Edited by Daniel Nilsson

hummmm i have ubuntu installed on another partition, i use it to scan with a very old scanner that runs on a scsi controller card. But since my scanner died, im not using it anymore. This recovery process works fine on sdd? i tried recovering using a random soft i downloaded, but the .map file was corrupted and (apparently) old.

i'll try to recover using ubuntu. Meanwhile, i setup a very clean install in other hdd... outside (scumbag) steam. Right now i'm working on a 2 day old version of the map. Lost around 7 hours of work.

Thanks for the tips :)

im having some trouble to make a shader to be used as circular flare...

I have a thurnip_fx.shader file on scripts folder. on this.shader file i have this shader:

textures/thurnip/fx_flareRed
{
    surfaceparm nolightmap
    surfaceparm nomarks
    cull disable
    deformVertexes autosprite
    {
        clampmap textures/thurnip/fx_flareRed.tga
        rgbGen wave sin 0.5 0.5 0 0.2
        tcMod rotate 20
        alphaFunc GE128
    }
    {
        clampmap textures/thurnip/fx_flareRed_stripe.tga
        blendfunc add
        rgbGen wave sin 0.5 0.5 0 0.2
        tcMod stretch sin 1.1 0.1 0 0.2
    }
}

My idea is to have a circular glow on a layer, and a horizontal stripe of light on other layer. Both will scale up and down using sin.

I'm havin some trouble because neither quake3 or q3ase are loading my fx_flareRed.tga and the stripe file file. I think

using this assets.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5442600/fx_flareRed.tga

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5442600/fx_flareRed_stripe.tga

there's some catch to make those guys load the assets?

Update:

omg, it's working. As always, human mistake. :)

here's the final result

shader.gif

And yet, my Q3Ase is not loading the assets.... Any idea if there's some config i must setup ?

Edited by Thurnip

worked all the sunday... and today night.

shot0059.jpg

shot0058.jpg

shot0057.jpg

shot0056.jpg

now i think i'm trying to make it look the same all the map. Today i think i have different vibes in each area... so im trying to unify it :)

Download file updated (all leaked lol)

http://arthurdepadua.com/labs/leveldesign/q3trnp1.pk3

For me it looked a bit darker in game then on those shots, but not too dark. But then again my monitor might be brighter then others so can't swear that it's not too dark. I really liked the level though! And some brave texturing :) Some textures that I wouldn't guess mixed good but somehow works great. 

Thanks! I have some questions about the lighting... i mean, here at work the map looks dark, but at home just fine. And there's the gamma setting inside quake3, that i have no idea how to deal with :/

I guess you'll want it to look as good as possible on default settings, so I would set gamma to 1.0 and look at it on a screen that's pretty standard. Or if you know that the monitor is brighter then standard lower the brightness.