Caldera by Joacim "Grillet" Rappu

you need to add a levelshot dir with a pic for the map (jpg/tga fine) to be displayed in the menues, and a .arena file in a shaders dir. an arena file is just a txt file with the file extension changed from .txt to .arena 

here is an example of a .arena file from q3dmp29.arena:

{
map        "q3dmp29"                                  
longname    "Jackal"                                
bots        "ranger grunt sarge"
fraglimit    20
timelimit    20
type        "ffa tourney"
}

so all up you should have a levelshot dir, a shaders dir and a maps dir.

hope that helps. :)

Edited by fKd

how much time you spent on compiling this maps?

Full final with Q3Map2Toolz takes approximately ~5 minutes.

.aas file takes approximately ~1 minute.

Map is not optimized in any way and I probably won't have time to do it either.

Edit: Managed to fix the .pk3 file I think.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64384600/q3dmcalderav4.pk3

Edited by Grillet

First pk3 stuff. Almost, but not quite there yet.

1: You dont need to add a shaders dir if you have no custom shaders.

2: You can get rid of the .txt file. you only need the .arena file.

If i was you i'd download a custom map and take a look at the file structure. I'd recommend one of the new maps at ..:lvl. Both Cityy and Pat H have a nice new map right there on the front page. These guys have good file structure as they are old hands with the q3 engine. http://lvlworld.com/

Works now and its fun to play! YAY!!

Visuals

The visuals need quite a lot more polish. You have some nice combinations of textures and the layout has lots of really nice ideas but with these kind of maps you should have a good long look at some of the default q3 maps. Take note of the little details here and there that tie the visuals together... i think that will help you.

Gameplay

i feel like some of the corridors are a bit long and the rail gun kind of becomes a bit op. Maybe add a few objects to break some the areas with long lines of sight?

Can the bots reach the quad? If not that might be a bit rough on the poor we guys :)

How did you get the bots jumping to the rail gun that is on that pillar? (nice touch)

The yellow armor where you have to jump across a bunch of pillars should prolly be switched to a red armor.

Summery

Well done mate, this engine is fiddly and your progress has been really great. Looking forward to playing the map once its in its final form. Good job and good luck  :)

*one last thing. Before taking your lvlshot bring down the console and type /cg_draw2d 0 and /cg_drawgun 0 This gets rid of the hud and other stuff.

Edited by fKd

*feedback*

PK3 stuff:

I was messing around to try to get it to work and this is how it looked when I got it to work. Will create a proper one for later versions. Will also check the structure on other maps.

Visuals:

Will look more into it. Still have a lot of work with the visuals left. Hopefully I will make it in time.

Gameplay:

Will try to mix it up/add cover when working on the visuals to nerf the railgun.

Bots can't reach the quad. Don't really know how to fix it without adding a jump pad though, will see if I can find something to make it work.

I didn't do anything to make the bots jump over to the railgun. It's just working.

Could work with a red armor there. I can make a version with the red armor and see how it plays out.

Thanks for the feedback!

Progress is slow. One week left and it feels like I have to much left to do. I will probably have to work in the weekend when Super Smash is released. Going to be hard time to choose what to do ;)

Though, I think I will make it in time. Not that many things to make pretty at the moment. It will probably be to make good lighting that will take the longest time.

Playable update will come later this week, have some pictures in the mean time.

post-30953-0-07513500-1417030218_thumb.ppost-30953-0-31461600-1417030220_thumb.ppost-30953-0-41355100-1417030222_thumb.ppost-30953-0-76559400-1417030224_thumb.p