1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Finaly taking the plunge

  • omega322
  • September 18, 2009 at 4:56 AM
  • omega322
    • September 18, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    • #1

    Well, over the past few years I've gotten into basically everything there is to level design, architect, lighting, texture creation, custom sounds for ambiance, hell even particle editing for Half life 2 EP2 and TF2. By no means am I a pro at any of them but I can say I'm fairly decent. I've allways had this soft fear of learning how to model, mostly due in part since I see the amazing things others make and I say to myself ' How can I ever compete with that?' But, enough is enough, I need to bite the bullet and jump into the world of modeling, so i ask you all, those with heavy experience and knowledge of modeling, where is a good place to start? what are the best resources to teach some underfunded student with an urge to create? what program is the best(To start with)?

  • -HP-
    • September 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    • #2

    if your going for 3dsmax, start with http://eat3d.com/ video tutorials! they have an introduction to 3dsmax DVD.

    Also check the usual tutorals DB, http://www.3dtotal.com/ (This guys have some GREAT video tuts, really phun and educational to watch!

    Obviously, there's more, but this should cover it for a beginner.

    Once you really start getting into it, you'll need to visit often forums like polycount and game-artists, for obvious reasons.

  • Seldoon182
    • September 18, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    • #3

    http://cg.tutsplus.com/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™