1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Source Cables and Ropes

  • m8nkey
  • April 22, 2008 at 8:16 AM
  • m8nkey
    • April 22, 2008 at 8:16 AM
    • #1

    Yesterday I made a pole and rope barrier and ran into a couple of issues.

    According the the Valve Wiki, "Cable" is a valid shader but my material just appears black when I use it. "UnlitGeneric" works fine but I'm curious if there's a better way to do it. Also tried "LightmappedGeneric" which resulted in errors.

    http://%7boption%7d

    I'm also wondering if there's a way have player collision with ropes? I think it can only collide with world though.

    Here's a WIP of my barrier

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/interior0000.jpg]

  • Seldoon182
    • April 22, 2008 at 5:40 PM
    • #2

    [Blocked Image: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/a/ab/Toolsplayercont.gif]

    I think you can only use the static Player Clip... Cheer !

  • m8nkey
    • April 25, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    • #3

    Yeah, looks like I'm just going to have to use player clip.

    Any ideas for the material? Only shader that works for me is "UnlitGeneric". It isn't very noticable that it's unlit but I'm hoping there's a more suitable shader.

  • Minos
    • April 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM
    • #4

    Have you tried VertexLitGeneric? Maybe it works, since the cable is dynamic and stuff (lightmappedgeneric is for static brushes only)

  • m8nkey
    • April 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    • #5

    Thanks for the idea Minos, I hadn't tried that.

    Just tried it then and the rope just displayed pure black.

  • robert.briscoe
    • April 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    • #6

    make sure you have a normal map for the rope!

  • m8nkey
    • May 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM
    • #7

    Thanks for the tip Robert. I tried both "LightmappedGeneric" and "VertexLitGeneric". I also tried variants of both with normal maps, neither worked though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™