1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. sixbyseven

Posts by sixbyseven

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • April 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

    1st Place

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_i…rhood_Forum.png]

    Brotherhood will receive the top prize of $500, and a full year subscription to CG Cookie! Congrats Brotherhood, and thanks for making such an awesome level with ProBuilder!

    Runner-Up

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_i…esign_Forum.jpg]

    Zedalis design will receive the runner-up prize of all SixBySeven tools, plus a 3 month subscription to CG Cookie! Amazing work Zedalis, I'm sure we'll see more from you in the future too

    Honorary

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_i…inite_Forum.png]

    AlexM_Infinite takes an honorary win- so we'll honor him/her with any SixBySeven tool for free, just choose. Great work, especially for a first time ProBuilder user!

    ~

    That's a wrap for Mapping Contest #2, folks- my sincere, humble thanks to everyone for participating, especially since I know many of you are first-time or early Unity/ProBuilder users. Your creativity and willingness to dive head-first into a challenge like this, is what makes the indie game-dev revolution so powerful! Keep at it!

    Of course, thanks to the Judges as well! Much appreciated, having your votes and input really makes the contest more fun and serious at the same time. So that's a big thanks to:

    Simon Dean of Games Foundry - http://www.gamesfoundry.com/

    SamV - http://www.rochardthegame.com/en/

    Megafiers Team - http://www.west-racing.com/mf/

    EricV - http://www.redchurch.com/

    BenColeman of U4iA - http://u4iagames.com/

    Jess Rahbek of Zero Point Software - http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

    ~

    As always, all contestants can pick up ProBuilder, or any other SixBySeven tool, for 25% off- just email/PM me

    Mapping Contest #3 is already being planned, and for various top-secret reasons, I am especially excited about this next one! Details will come in the next couple weeks, you can stay up-to-date via our facebook, twitter, or by signing up for the Newsletter (lots of goodies in there!). Thanks all!

    ~

    A note on final score calculation:

    Rank 1 was given 3 points, Rank 2 gave 2 points, Rank 3 gave 1 point.

    Total Scores were 19, 14, 9, for Brotherhood, ZedalisDesign, and AlexM_Infinite (respectively)

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • April 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

    Sadly, the contest is over already

    But, we'll be having another very soon!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • April 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM

    Hey Mapcore folks Sorry, I've been neglecting you, I'll fix that!

    Here are fancy links to each person's Contest Gallery- spread the word! We will also be posting all of these on our Facebook, at "http://www.facebook.com/probuilder3d". We'd love to see you "Like" the page and claim your album with a comment/etc, hopefully we can get some good design critique going there as well. Note: Would you like a link added to your Gallery? Just let me know! Also, if I somehow forgot anyone, PM me ASAP!

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/AlexM_Infinite_Forum.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/Brotherhood_Forum.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/BucketMonkey_Forum.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/Cybershead_Forum.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/Ebkac_Forum.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/FreakForFreedom_Forum.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/Jesus_Forum.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/JorgeLuis_Forum.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/MetaKid_Forum.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/Trashgames_Forum.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/probuilder_mappingcontest2/ZedelisDesign_Forum.jpg]

    I'm just going to say it myself- wow, this all looks AWESOME! Great work, everyone!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

    Glad you got that working It's a strange bug with Deferred lighting...honestly, I have no clue how the rendering method could cause that , but I'm sure we'll figure it out. I think you meant to say "ProBuilder" instead of ProGrids?

    More screenshots?

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

    Cool, nice work already!

    A clip tool, extrude, proper Auto NoDraw...we have a lot to add - and we will!

    The free version is only geometry editing, but you can drag-n-drop materials onto the ProBuilder objects. This is actually not supposed to work, ha, but I'm leaving the loophole open until the contest is over at least. Of course, with only the free version you won't be able to actually manipulate that material on the object, but it does give some texturing ability.

    If you have some free time, you can check out the Unity tutorials I made for Unity Cookie, here: http://www.unitycookie.com. The "Getting Started With Unity" tuts are quick and simple, but go over the basics, so you won't miss anything obvious. I apologize in advance for my under-par mic, it has since been fixed

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

    Yeah, but Adobe gets around that by constantly checking your registry, chatting with it's servers, etc. I can't really enforce a trial very well, sadly. There must be a good solution though!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    Quote from blackdog

    Maybe the free version could have the complete feature-set for a limited time (eg: one month) so anybody installing it motivated by a contest like this get the full potential and are motivated to discover everything, then they must upgrade or stay with the limited features.

    I've thought of that, yep. Mostly, the problem is how to keep users from simply using the trial/watermarked version all they need, then removing it entirely...and keeping all the geometry created, heh. Hopefully I can figure something out.

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

    Awesome, one MapCore user converted! I like what you've sketched up, and that graph paper is a great idea...why have I never thought of that?

    "I haven't had great experiences with Unity in the past but this really makes it a hell of a lot easier and nicer to use" - I might have to quote you on that. Thanks!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM

    Yep, the coordinate switching is a "Full" version item. I'm hoping I can figure out how to release a watermarked "Free" version, so all the features, just with an in-game watermark...I'd love for everyone to be able to try all the awesome that the tool can do. But at least the free version can show the super fast geometry editing, glad you are enjoying that! Great to hear it's been simple and fun for you too, that was a big focus. Too many tools/etc get lost in adding tons of features, and just end up a pile of self-obfuscated *bleep*. (I'm looking at you, 3DS Max...)

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 18, 2013 at 4:07 AM

    Thanks Alex! Definitely let me know if any questions come up. And just let me know if you think certain parts need more tutorials!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

    Ha, no worries Alex. By the way- your Level Design Inspiration tumblr is absolutely epic. I had to stop browsing only because I was getting wayy to many ideas, and have to much else to focus on! But I'll be back

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM

    Hi AlexM! Looks like Beck already got to it, but ProBuilder is the focus, yes. Perfectly fine to use the "Free" version of the tool of course

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 17, 2013 at 2:32 AM

    Bump? I'd love to see some talent from the Mapcore community join in on this!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM

    Ah! You make a good point. I was originally intending to make it "Playable only", and I am still assuming most will be playable as a "map", but I can't require it without really forcing out the Free version users (only Full version has optimization). And I don't want to do that!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

    Exactly- that's what I meant by "mapping contest". Maybe that terminology is only used in TF2? Hope I'm not making people think it's actually "drawing maps", ha.

    Thanks!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM

    Hi blackdog! Sorry for the delay, a bit crazy with this + getting ready for GDC + even more.

    Only screenshots will be required, although if (hopefully not) doubt arises that a particular scene was not made using ProBuilder, the author will need to send over (to me) a video demonstrating clearly that all is well.

    Thanks for the congrats!

    gw

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

    Not a lot of Unity folks here? Or everyone is just busy creating maps for this already?

    A quick update- CG Cookie has joined in, and will be offering a whopping 1 year membership to all their sites, to the top entry, as well!

  • $500 Mapping Contest! Sci-Fi/Horror Theme, March 1st-31st

    • sixbyseven
    • March 2, 2013 at 4:59 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/files/linked_images/ProBuilderContest_Giger_Header_620.png]

    ProBuilder Mapping Contest #2

    Timeline: March 1st – March 31st

    Top Prize: $500

    Theme: Sci-Fi/Horror, H.R. Giger

    Entries will be judged by a panel of industry professionals, TBA

    Detail meshes and textures are encouraged for this contest

    Free Sci-Fi textures pack provided by GameTextures!

    More Info: "http://www.probuilder3d.com/sfhcontest"

    Time for a serious mapping contest with ProBuilder!

    Hi everyone! The "Greybox Mapping Contest" was a great success (thanks to all how participated!), and we are finally launching another! For the second ProBuilder mapping contest, we want to see what you can really create, with the full power of newly-released ProBuilder 2.0. This is your chance to go all-out and show off a truly awesome level design, and compete to win a $500 cash prize.

    Detail meshes are heavily encouraged for this contest. We’d love to see maps that could be part of a real game, with details like light fixtures, crates and barrels, wires, anything that brings realism, life, and visual interest to your map. Of course, ProBuilder geometry should make up the majority of your map (around 85-95%). Also, to keep competition fair, any meshes must be either your own, or available completely free for anyone else to use as well.

    The contest’s theme is “Sci-Fi / Horror”, and extra points will be awarded for any H.R. Giger style influences you can add. Some great reference materials are Alien, Prometheus, Dead Space, Doom 3, and Event Horizon. To help with this theme, the awesome folks at GameTextures are providing a totally free pack of their top-quality Sci-Fi textures, to everyone entering the contest. You can download the pack here: http://bit.ly/WnKcZv

    A panel of industry professionals (to be announced) will be judging the entries, and choosing a winner. If you are just starting in the game industry, this could be a great way to make your name known, and gain invaluable critique. For everyone, it means zero chance of a “popularity contest” happening.

    Throughout the month, we will also be giving away smaller prizes for the best WIP art, so be sure to drop those images here, as your work progresses!

    Best of luck to everyone, can't wait to see what you create!

    Questions/Comments/etc? Just ask!

    Other links: Unity Forums Thread | Website | Facebook

  • CS_MUSEUM

    • sixbyseven
    • February 14, 2013 at 4:33 AM

    This is beautiful, great work!

  • Unity Mapping Contest!

    • sixbyseven
    • December 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Quote from Skjalg

    This is awesome. Great place to start out with unity if you haven't already.

    Thanks Skjalg! Does this mean we'll see an Oliver and Spike-themed entry?

    Quote from LATTEH

    Never used unity before. I may try to make something if i have time.

    also 2 draw calls holy crap.

    Looking forward to it! There are plenty of tutorials at "http://www.sixbysevenstudio.com/probuilder", and for unity in general you can go to "http://www.unitycookie.com". It's a great engine, incredibly artist-friendly and easy to use. I used UDK and Hammer for many years previously, and can honestly say Unity tops them both, by a large amount, in terms of ease-of-use.

    And yep, 2 draw calls! ProBuilder 2.0 is much, much more efficient than 1.x, it's something we are working really hard to get right!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™