1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. onji

Posts by onji

  • Thief 4

    • onji
    • March 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    i think i'm more pissed about his facerag than about the architecture. garrett never hid his face, and he was well known by the city guard. also, no mechanical eye?

    Garret never asked for this.

    Anyway I'm glad this thing looks on track, take my money too

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • onji
    • March 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM

    I'm interested to see how Bitsquid comes along. I've liked the rendering & physics stuff put out by a few of the devs on this team.

  • Deus Ex: Human Defiance

    • onji
    • March 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

    The idea of putting the Deux Ex universe into a movie looks good on paper, but yeah games->film or film->games never really seems to work that well. Maybe someone should make a film based on Aliens: Colonial Marines.

    PS Dishonored is a great game to get your stealth on, reminded me a lot of Thief, especially the stealing parts

  • Andres Walsh - Level Designer

    • onji
    • March 3, 2013 at 3:48 AM

    http://www.andreswalsh.com/

    I'm at the point where I'm applying for entry-level jobs in level design and would like to see if the folks on Mapcore have any comments, positive or negative. I'd be interested in any feedback regarding the actual portfolio content, and/or the website design.

    I've also done some basic 3d engine design & implementation in C++ in university, which I'd like to add but I'm not sure. It looks super ghetto compared to CryEngine.

    [Blocked Image: http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5129/vidspace.png]

    I've left some spare here for video footage.

  • Crysis 3

    • onji
    • February 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM

    Congrats to everyone at Crytek. I need a day off, so I can play through this thing.

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • onji
    • February 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM

    I'm sure it wouldn't be too much effort to write the What Went Right section

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • onji
    • February 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM

    I think this is worse than Duke Nukem Forever. What happened between the tech-demo and release!? Post mortem please.

  • Portfolio of level designer - Need feedback on work

    • onji
    • February 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

    I'll agree with Kinky in that it's quality over quantity. I think if a prospective employer is taking a look at your folio, they'll probably only look at 2 or three pieces, so make sure they see your best. If may also be beneficial to discuss your rationale, and show your pre-production work (if you've done it), behind each level.

    PS good to see another CryEngine user here

  • RAGE: The Scorchers

    • onji
    • February 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM

    Still might be worth an install, I like to poke around every new idTech at least once.

  • What are you playing now?

    • onji
    • February 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    Quote from Thrik

    Holy shit, I've literally only opened the main menu of Deus Ex: HR and I can already tell this is gonna be something special.

    I thought the same thing as soon as I saw that menu as well . I've finished it twice and can't speak highly enough of the game. Character animation maybe loses a couple of points but that's only in comparison to such a perfect game.

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • onji
    • February 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    Quote from knj

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    something worth watching !

    I forgot how nasty those AA batteries were in Aliens

    +999 Points for Clint Mansell

  • Crysis 3

    • onji
    • January 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

    Bioshock? It's a lot more flexible with the combination of weapons, and plasmids when compared to Doom 3. But you can't really be as creative when you approach encounters as in Deus Ex 3.

  • Crysis 3

    • onji
    • January 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

    Flamethrower

  • Cyberpunk 2077

    • onji
    • January 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    Quote

    ' timestamp='1359054136' post='322095']I look at porn whole day. it's ok. Really.

    Yeah it's a good resume builder that.

  • Q1 - In the Shadows

    • onji
    • January 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM

    This thing looks awesome , I've got a lot of fond memories from playing Quake. I really hope I can find some time to reinstall and play this mod.

  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist

    • onji
    • January 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM

    Happy to hear it's going in a direction closer to the first couple of Splinter Cell games. I loved Conviction as a game, but it didn't feel very Splinter Cellish.

    Looking forward to seeing more.

  • The grind

    • onji
    • January 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM

    That's really cool that some of you guys are doing the crunch for fun. I'm also finding it's a lot easier to continue for long hours when the work is good.

    Quote from Minos

    Yeah it highly depends on the studio you work at. I can stay late now whenever I feel like or when I'm having fun with what I'm doing but on the previous studio I worked I never really cared because:

    * Overtime was usually unpaid and when it was paid the rules were never clear

    * Overtime was usually a result of piss poor planning by other people

    * Personal reasons (for example, some of the stuff I was more passionate about and actually did some crunch on was cut from the game due to stupid decisions)

    I believe one should never crunch for free unless they work at their own company. By crunch I mean consistently working long workdays for a long period of time. Staying late to finish something you feel passionate about every now and then is fine imo.

    Sometimes it's not as simple as just refusing to stay though, specially if it's your first job in the industry, so use your best judgement and what fits your case

    Display More

    You *can* stay late now? Did you have a boss before that actually said you couldn't work late?

  • Cyberpunk 2077

    • onji
    • January 14, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    Quote from Kedhrin

    Makes me go "awwww"... what we're working on right now is very similar... oh well (

    Awesome, I'll buy both of them

  • The grind

    • onji
    • January 13, 2013 at 5:33 AM

    ..... So you're saying I should equip a more flamboyant red hat.

  • The grind

    • onji
    • January 13, 2013 at 1:58 AM

    As a developer how often do you guys have to grind to get assets, maps, or deliverables complete?

    I haven't worked in the industry, but it's I'm going to try and break in sometime this year. I'm working about 35hrs/week for my day job, and I'm doing maybe 30-33hrs/week on my folio. I usually take a day off twice a month.

    Do you guys think working 60-70 hours a week is productive to the project, or maybe quality starts to decrease somewhere after the 50-60hrs/week mark?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™