1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Mapcore Book Club

  • JynxDaddy
  • August 24, 2004 at 6:12 AM
  • Bic-B@ll
    • September 28, 2004 at 10:27 PM
    • #41

    i finshed halo 1 2 nights ago and it was quite good

    /me dodges bricks (OMG WAS THE BOOK REDUNDANT TOO!?)

  • The Postman
    • September 28, 2004 at 10:28 PM
    • #42

    You read videogame themed books.

    NERRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

  • Taylor
    • September 29, 2004 at 12:44 AM
    • #43

    Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything, plz

  • Bic-B@ll
    • September 29, 2004 at 2:24 AM
    • #44
    Quote from The Postman

    You read videogame themed books.NERRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

    not to make excuses but it was given to me, so i read it, it was a good book so suck me

  • Duff-e
    • September 29, 2004 at 2:29 AM
    • #45
    Quote

    Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything, plz

    i actually liked this book.....it made you realize just how insignificant earth really is

    the sad part is though i forgot almost all the cool facts and most of the book.....just didnt stick with me i guess

  • Section_Ei8ht
    • September 29, 2004 at 1:34 PM
    • #46

    Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse Five are my favorites. Anything Phillip K. Dick is great for a short read, as well.

  • Skjalg
    • October 1, 2004 at 2:28 AM
    • #47

    OMG THE DA VINCI CODE!!!!!1111111

    seriously tho, that book really owns.. blew me away (and ive just read half:o)

  • JynxDaddy
    • October 1, 2004 at 4:32 AM
    • #48

    I refuse to read Da Vinci code because silly people at school love it.

  • Skjalg
    • October 1, 2004 at 5:49 AM
    • #49

    Then I guess you refuse to play games like Half-Life, Doom 3 or NS, because stupid people like it..

    Then I guess you refuse to eat pizza, hamburgers, taco or kebab. Because stupid people like that too...

    Then I guess you dont like breathing, because stupid people like that too...

    see where im going?

    I suggest you read the first 20 chapters (1 chapter = 3-5 pages), and then tell me if you refuse to read the rest...

  • TomWithTheWeather
    • June 4, 2006 at 10:13 PM
    • #50
    Quote from TomWithTheWeather

    I'm currently digging Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Two very good and expertly written books.

    Upon finishing them and analyzing them a little bit, the underlying, psuedo-philosophical themes kind of suck. It all seemed cool at first, until I realized it's based on emotion, rather than reason; sort of like Scientology. Objectivism provides nothing more than easy answers to non-black-and-white social questions, in the same way that fundamentalist Christanity does.

    Just thought I'd update my opinion of these books for anyone re-reading through this thread.

  • RD
    • June 4, 2006 at 10:33 PM
    • #51

    what the hell is this thread

  • Polaris
    • June 4, 2006 at 11:27 PM
    • #52

    Aparently people who map also read books

    lol, but so do i

  • skdr
    • June 4, 2006 at 11:29 PM
    • #53

    This thread is 2 years old :S

  • Mazy
    • June 5, 2006 at 12:20 AM
    • #54

    lolo smells of eot

  • mabufo
    • June 5, 2006 at 1:25 AM
    • #55
    Quote from kleinluka

    Not reading any books at the moment. But now that I see this thread I'm really tempted to buy one. I need something to help me not be bored on weekends (besides my digi cam)... Any suggestions? Let's hear!

    Read 1984(Orwell), or This Side of Paradise(Fitzgerald).

  • Section_Ei8ht
    • June 5, 2006 at 4:57 AM
    • #56

    e: The Story of a Number by Eli Maor

    Yeah, I'm a geek. Seriously, though, if you have an interest in math, this book is really interesting (you know, what with e being the most important number ever).

  • Erratic
    • June 5, 2006 at 5:46 AM
    • #57
    Quote from Polaris

    Aparently people who map also read books

    There should be a Mapcore reading list for the uninitiated, as a sort of primer on the subtle innerworkings of the community.

    Although it would probably just consist of Wheres Waldo books...

  • Polaris
    • June 5, 2006 at 5:58 AM
    • #58
    Quote from Erratic

    Wheres Waldo books

    omg, I miss those...

    I mean er, those were so childish, same thing with those eye spy books

  • Erratic
    • June 5, 2006 at 8:32 AM
    • #59
    Quote from Polaris

    omg, I miss those...

    I mean er, those were so childish, same thing with those eye spy books

    It was funny how in grade school those were the only books kids would take out. And teachers never really bothered caring...

  • Minos
    • June 5, 2006 at 6:28 PM
    • #60

    I recommend Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor (fight club author). It's a neat book with a neat story and crazy twists. They are also making a movie based on this book.

    http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net/books/survivor/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™