1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

So, anyone made a HL2 map yet?

  • mawibse
  • October 16, 2003 at 9:21 PM
  • Fletch
    • October 31, 2003 at 3:04 AM
    • #41

    i'm gonna be that guy that makes retardedly simple levels for HL2 because i'm too lazy to learn new technology. fy_iceworld_hl2 baby! its on its way!

  • Taylor
    • October 31, 2003 at 7:42 AM
    • #42

    I know Zappy, but I assume you want parts in your model more detailed than what worldcraft can provide at 1x. Silly idea anyway.

    Eitherway HL2 MAPPING is going to be really simple in comparison to HL1 - what with materials doing all the work for you and discoraged brush detailing. They even have their own hulls, flat window texture -> 3d indented window. What do you need to make these uber textures and details? Models. Being that WC 'skills' are barely needed you might as well start learning to model instead because it ain't going to be long before you are redundant. GGTHXNORE.

  • Slapshot
    • October 31, 2003 at 11:57 AM
    • #43

    Hopefully it will get rid of the ever present pos nub maps....

    or they will all be the smae map with different model prefabs tossed in different places...

  • zaphod
    • October 31, 2003 at 6:46 PM
    • #44
    Quote

    They even have their own hulls, flat window texture -> 3d indented window

    ?

    anyway, my prediction is just that the majority of maps for the first 6 months after hl2 comes out will be similar in relation to the first maps when hl came out. All the stock hl2 textures and scenery objects will be overused to the max. At least there are a lot more assets to be used in hl2 in relation to hl1.

  • Taylor
    • October 31, 2003 at 11:25 PM
    • #45

    There was a big thing about you specifying hulls in the million different material options. In the prison wc screenshots the rails are { textures, in game they're 3D, same for the flat-ass walls and { in the material-fileless beta and offical screenshots. It might be something else but that's the impression i got, kind of a normal mapping for brushes.

  • zaphod
    • November 1, 2003 at 1:58 AM
    • #46

    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

    no.

    those rails are just models.

  • Taylor
    • November 1, 2003 at 12:04 PM
    • #47

    So how are they placed with brushes? Or are they not and it's just an old/odd WC shot? That's what I thought at first, but in the beta everything looks horrible and flat with { textures everywhere, nothing like the actual screenshots... CONFUSED.

  • kleinluka
    • November 1, 2003 at 1:16 PM
    • #48

    maybe the brushes in the wc shot are place holders or CLIP brushes ?

  • Taylor
    • November 1, 2003 at 4:00 PM
    • #49

    Placeholders maybe. Clip? Errr... no.

    But the beta is in-game and everything is flat and detail-less, I presumed this was in correlation with it not having the uber material settings that it apparently doesn't actually have.

  • zaphod
    • November 1, 2003 at 8:24 PM
    • #50

    No, there is definetly nothing like that. If I showed you the picture, I could tell you what you are tlaking about, it sounds like clip brushes, triggers, etc. I can't really comment on the content of the leaked beta, since it wasn't meant to be judged by anyone outside of valve.

  • Taylor
    • November 1, 2003 at 10:31 PM
    • #51

    Oh please, I know the difference between a {textured rail and a clip brush. It probably was a placeholder, but there's no need to patronize.

  • zaphod
    • November 2, 2003 at 2:04 AM
    • #52

    I meant, if you could show me the picture, my bad. Not meaning to patronize you, if I'm who your talking to.

  • Taylor
    • November 2, 2003 at 8:04 AM
    • #53

    It takes too much effort to find. I was just being optimistic about the materials, which is like the first time I've been optimistic ever, and look where it got me.

    I'm going to try and up the bitterness a little to compensate, if that's possible.

  • zaphod
    • November 2, 2003 at 7:23 PM
    • #54

    sorry if your dissapointed. It seems like most people over-complicate what the source engine is capable of doing, which is understandable given the complicated wording valve likes to use to describe thier technology. I'm just trying to ground everyone here so they don't get decieved and then dissapointed.

  • Fletch
    • November 2, 2003 at 7:38 PM
    • #55

    if it doesn't make monkies fly out of my ass, i won't be impressed.

  • Bic-B@ll
    • November 2, 2003 at 8:05 PM
    • #56

    When was the last time you could see your ass you fat bastard?

  • Fletch
    • November 2, 2003 at 8:34 PM
    • #57

    Actually I'm really skinny. I have an overactive metabolism and exercise 2 hours every day. Now I'm a lean mean drinkin machine.

  • Bic-B@ll
    • November 3, 2003 at 2:26 AM
    • #58

    /me refers to Fletch's avatar

  • mawibse
    • November 6, 2003 at 2:31 PM
    • #59

    Already in HL1 the best way to add details is through models, problem is that you hit the HL1 "model" memmory limitations pretty soon.

    I've made and are making lots of models with low texture usage for my latest map and it turns out pretty good.

    And if you're too lazy for MAX try Milkshape which will fast enough get you into modeling even though it has loads of limitations compared to the major packes.

    Making HL models in Milkshape are not harder then making maps in Hammer, just a little diffrent.

  • Ewok
    • April 7, 2004 at 10:10 PM
    • #60

    I'll map for Half-Life 2. If you too lazy it's your own problem. If you took the time to research you would find world / prop models in general are rather easy to make. Use Milkshape 3D or something, I don't care what anyone says, it's good enough for any world / prop model.

    - Ewok

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™