1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

The random model thread!

  • KIIIA
  • August 29, 2005 at 6:28 PM
  • st0lve
    • May 29, 2007 at 2:13 PM
    • #2,121

    Yeah you do not need to unwrap the high poly one

    If you see Phils max to normalmap texture guide, then it's basically the same thing.

  • Minos
    • May 29, 2007 at 3:33 PM
    • #2,122

    I'm just being a bit too dumb again

  • Zeta
    • May 29, 2007 at 5:05 PM
    • #2,123

    hey at least it gave you some practice

  • von*ferret
    • May 29, 2007 at 7:10 PM
    • #2,124

    Everyone was new at one point.

  • Defrag
    • May 31, 2007 at 4:41 AM
    • #2,125

    Been pottering away with some various models for practice.

    Lighthoose #1 updated a bit:

    [Blocked Image: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~msimp2k2/models/lighthouse01.jpg]

    New lighthoose. Hard to finish this one as the only reference pic (wikipedia) doesn't show the top of the lighthouse I'll probably just make something up to finish it.

    [Blocked Image: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~msimp2k2/models/lighthouse02.jpg]

    ... and I fancied doing some vehicle modelling, so I started working on a BTR-70. Got the basic shape done (tricky bugger this, even with a lot of ref pics it still has a lot of areas with ambiguous geometry).

    [Blocked Image: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~msimp2k2/models/btr_01.jpg]

    Started the detailing. Needs cleaned up a bit later on. Need to redo the exhaust shape too since I found some better pics.

    [Blocked Image: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~msimp2k2/models/btr_02.jpg]

    This ends my model spam.

  • Zacker
    • May 31, 2007 at 11:13 AM
    • #2,126

    That round tower definitely needs some height segments if you want proper looking vertex lighting.

  • Skjalg
    • May 31, 2007 at 3:20 PM
    • #2,127

    electric toothbrush?

  • bartollo
    • May 31, 2007 at 3:45 PM
    • #2,128

    Defrag - few links:

    http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/btr-70.htm

    http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/de ... rmor_id=52

    http://armoured.vif2.ru/btr-70.htm

    http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/inf/BTR-70.html

    http://www.greendevils.pl/t_h_c/btr-70/ ... chemat.gif

    http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/armour/r ... /index.htm - best IMO

    keep up!

  • Defrag
    • May 31, 2007 at 7:12 PM
    • #2,129

    bartollo: Thanks a lot. That last link is particularly excellent

  • bartollo
    • June 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM
    • #2,130

  • MrBaracuda
    • June 1, 2007 at 12:40 AM
    • #2,131

    hrrm maybe I should give modelling another try. I kinda lost interest after my ~48x96x48 table for source ended up being an invisible 20k unit box

  • Defrag
    • June 1, 2007 at 8:22 AM
    • #2,132

    Bit more detailing. The turret housing reminds me of the Juggernaut, bitch!

    [Blocked Image: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~msimp2k2/models/btr_03.jpg]

  • nooba
    • June 2, 2007 at 3:21 AM
    • #2,133

    Looking good Defrag Are you planning on texturing it after you've finished? or is it just modelling practice?

    Here is a little RTS scene I'm working on:

    [Blocked Image: http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/2453/scene2034222gb9.jpg]

    I hope to have 4 variations of this scene, each on a different planet.

  • Defrag
    • June 2, 2007 at 3:23 AM
    • #2,134

    I doubt I'll texture it as I wouldn't know where to start

    Cool scene, Nooba. I especially like the trees.

  • Buddy
    • June 2, 2007 at 10:13 AM
    • #2,135

    Awesome Nooba

  • dux
    • June 2, 2007 at 12:08 PM
    • #2,136
    Quote from nooba

    Looking good Defrag Are you planning on texturing it after you've finished? or is it just modelling practice?Here is a little RTS scene I'm working on:

    [Blocked Image: http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/2453/scene2034222gb9.jpg]

    I hope to have 4 variations of this scene, each on a different planet.

    Dungeon Siege style ftw.

  • Rick_D
    • June 2, 2007 at 5:52 PM
    • #2,137

    a little something for my brother from another mother, skjalg. I liked the colours and hopefully it'll work with the textures in his map :0

    [Blocked Image: http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/18462/2004869847107026448_rs.jpg]

  • Minos
    • June 2, 2007 at 6:39 PM
    • #2,138

    Nice one rick~

  • Psy
    • June 2, 2007 at 6:55 PM
    • #2,139

    The normal map is too noisy!

  • Rick_D
    • June 2, 2007 at 7:16 PM
    • #2,140

    it's ''noisy'' where the material is noisy.

    besides that's a max render, once in source and at the distance it will be viewed from it'll be hard to pick out smaller details, hence a strong overall normal map.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™