1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Creative Chat

Shaders / Specular Maps

  • U37
  • July 22, 2005 at 5:33 AM
  • U37
    • July 24, 2005 at 2:36 AM
    • #21

    Hey Peri, how do you create specular maps for Source? Take selections that are relevant, and simply lower the contrast and desaturate?

  • mikezilla
    • July 24, 2005 at 6:38 AM
    • #22

    holy hell peri when did you get so good and do you have a portfolio?

  • Campaignjunkie
    • July 24, 2005 at 7:34 AM
    • #23

    I'm pretty sure lighter = shinier. Here's an example of a texture I did (although it's not anywhere near as great as Peri's):

    [Blocked Image: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8712/diffusespecular4sh.jpg]

    I saved the specular as an alpha channel in the normal map. It works great in-game.

  • st0lve
    • July 24, 2005 at 12:02 PM
    • #24
    Quote from mikezilla

    holy hell peri when did you get so good and do you have a portfolio?

    I smell that mike wants you.peri go update ur folio.

  • FrieChamp
    • July 24, 2005 at 1:17 PM
    • #25

    mmmh I luv the peri~~~

  • kleinluka
    • July 24, 2005 at 3:51 PM
    • #26

    Yeah I don't get it, specular maps EVERYWHERE are bright= shiny, dark= unshiny.. I mean everywhere, movie CG, other games, whatever

    So has anyone found out if Source supports color speculars?

  • kleinluka
    • July 25, 2005 at 4:42 PM
    • #27

    have you tried just making a color spec and compiling it?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™