1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Viable lighting for night environment for Source?

  • kinggambit
  • January 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM
  • kinggambit
    • January 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM
    • #1

    For a while I've tested night environments or overcast skies and a lot of people suggested Source engine just doesn't look as good without shadows from the environment.

    I agree with them but I'm hoping to give it another try for a small project right now for a kz climbing map for CSGO and was wondering if anyone found much success with it.

    I'm hoping to achieve a sci-fi metropolis like "Mirror's Edge/Deus Ex" but with an night-time atmosphere i.e.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--M_nWkkoP--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/apa35byi4kfxzvghqys8.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mirrorsedge/images/e/ec/Shard_City_Night.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110804131857]

    Quick test map. Forgive the awful lighting. I've been tinkering around with blending values but it's hard to tell if I could achieve decent results from just a rough sketch w/o textures and details and selfillum+HDR:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/LMggKzb.jpg]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™