1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

First Unreal 2004 Experience

  • von*ferret
  • April 5, 2005 at 8:47 PM
  • von*ferret
    • April 5, 2005 at 8:47 PM
    • #1

    My first experience with Unreal. For class we had to create a room that you might see in a functional game level with a focal point. I had a week to learn the editor and do what I could, so this is what I present to you. Its a total of 27 seperate static meshes. I didn't have time to put in the volumetric lighting from the cave opening. I might fix this up later because I'm not pleased with the pose of the statue (needless to say I didn't get to clothing him either lol) and some of the model's skins are pretty blurry. Lighting was supposed to be moody but I think it just came out dark. I wanted the emphasis to be on the blue light coming through the center cavity in the cavern. Hope you guys enjoy, I learned a lot from Unreal and making/skinning prop models.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/alpha/a1.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/alpha/a2.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/alpha/a3.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/alpha/a4.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/alpha/a5.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thevon.net/alpha/a6.jpg]

    clearification, the statue's right arm was going to carry a staff at a different angle, the ball was going to glow blue, but like I said I ran out of time and did what I could.

  • KidDynamite
    • April 5, 2005 at 8:49 PM
    • #2

    Very cool fetter, now link to download gogogo

  • Minos
    • April 5, 2005 at 8:55 PM
    • #3

    Nice meshes fetter, cant say the same of the lighting though

  • spine
    • April 5, 2005 at 9:27 PM
    • #4

    Hey, gj on such short time aswell man.

  • Kamikazi!
    • April 5, 2005 at 9:54 PM
    • #5

    Yeah it seems you lose a lot of your nice work in the darkness

  • wacko
    • April 5, 2005 at 9:55 PM
    • #6
    Quote from Minotauro

    Nice meshes fetter, cant say the same of the lighting though

    it looked very orange at one point... and I just was to fucking tired to fix the lighting I had some cool effects in there but I never sent them back to ferret. Then again I never worked on this map according to ferrets post

  • DaanO
    • April 5, 2005 at 10:13 PM
    • #7

    i actually really like how that looks,good job!

  • kleinluka
    • April 5, 2005 at 10:18 PM
    • #8

    thats quite rad for the short amount of time you had. good job!

  • Fullauto
    • April 5, 2005 at 10:46 PM
    • #9

    Very nice static propage.

    Scene is solid, but not as spectatular as it could have been, still, good work for making something in ut2k4

  • ReNo
    • April 5, 2005 at 10:55 PM
    • #10

    Given the time span I think you did a great job Planning on doing any more work in the Unreal engine? Or perhaps finishing off the scene with what you had planned? A little bit more work and this would be a lovely little portfolio piece.

  • von*ferret
    • April 6, 2005 at 12:32 AM
    • #11

    Since wacko has his panties in a bunch, wacko helped me understand how to do skyboxes, helped me re arrange my lighting, and strenghten the center light.

  • mike-0
    • April 6, 2005 at 1:26 AM
    • #12

    Is unreal a brush based engine?

  • jfas
    • April 6, 2005 at 1:52 AM
    • #13

    nod of approval! thats pretty damn good for what i gather is your first project, like you said, lighting could have been alot better, but either way it looks bueno

  • wacko
    • April 6, 2005 at 1:59 AM
    • #14
    Quote from von*ferret

    Since wacko has his panties in a bunch, wacko helped me understand how to do skyboxes, helped me re arrange my lighting, and strenghten the center light.

    I just wanted to say I hate you

  • MJ
    • April 6, 2005 at 3:06 AM
    • #15

    looks a bit close quarters. What weapons will be added?

  • von*ferret
    • April 6, 2005 at 4:43 AM
    • #16

    like I said its only something you might see in a functional game level, its not intended for actual gameplay although I designed it to have the ABILITIY to become one. So I'm not going to add any weapons.

  • xRYqX7pY2Kko2YBOCL
    • April 6, 2005 at 9:46 AM
    • #17

    Well done von.

    Looks so much better than that max file you gave me.

    Can't believe you uv wraped everything in like, 1 night.

  • mike-0
    • April 7, 2005 at 2:01 AM
    • #18

    yea, uh... is unreal a brush based engine?

  • von*ferret
    • April 7, 2005 at 2:28 AM
    • #19

    of course it has brushes, however 90% of the level was built out of static meshes.

  • MJ
    • April 7, 2005 at 2:56 AM
    • #20

    i loaded unreal ed once, i quickly clicked the X.

    ::huggles worldcraft::

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™