1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

[UT:2004] DM-Crater

  • StormAndy
  • February 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM
  • StormAndy
    • February 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    • #1

    Hey guys,


    I recently started working on a small 2-8 player deathmatch for Unreal Tournament 2004. The maps centered around a large crater which will eventually have some nice crystals/better ore mesh in the centre. The blackrock meshes are blackholder textures as they've not been sculpted yet. I've been handpainting and sculpting all the textures for the environment.


    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pVreaWfWxKc/VOxxqZosGsI/AAAAAAAAAvU/bA2kzQfF0fA/s1600/Shot00015.bmp][Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mgWv6BuO1fs/VOxyT-vKdgI/AAAAAAAAAvk/fryFDwbu4GA/s1600/Shot00021.bmp]


    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Q_JhcxSadNk/VOxxqqjdgLI/AAAAAAAAAvY/k8LhhjS_r3s/s1600/Shot00014.bmp]


    Here's the intial blockout of the map I made before gathering references for the artwork/theming of the map.

    [Blocked Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w0gETirgvOY/VOngAt69MyI/AAAAAAAAAvE/bI3jV23EWkE/s1600/CrateLevel_wip4.png]


    Once I was happy with the general layout I started looking over a lot reference imagry, first being a concept skecth i produced about 2 years ago

    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g7Tn182le_Q/UPxEJ31TXfI/AAAAAAAAAOw/iCR-6tzBxx0/s1600/Lunar_WIP4.jpg]


    I then spent a lot of time looking over modern World of Warcraft art, particually the Draenei cities/areas.


    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ARR7f3F8K0g/VOneLC_TLlI/AAAAAAAAAus/i0_ddNqc5Us/s1600/B6SXOIs.jpg][Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2W3KwfY1KVY/VOneLBVzzEI/AAAAAAAAAu0/1dH6-l5U8cc/s1600/The-Crystal-Hall.jpg][Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-b0PHGOedmr4/VOneKy_2QNI/AAAAAAAAAuo/tMgaw-EuyXA/s1600/yLZoe.jpg]


    and I also had some small inspiration from the overall theme of one of my favourite campaign maps fom halo 1 "The truth and Reconciliation"

    [Blocked Image: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090604233356/halo/images/f/fd/Truth_%26_Reconciliation.jpg]


    I'm just drawn up a short list of the extra meshs I might need and I've started sculpting some of the new assets like this runestone based on the stones in the World of Warcraft screenshots.

    [Blocked Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZOdUWEEdo70/VOxy76U4onI/AAAAAAAAAvw/E3z7UW_0FK0/s1600/runestone_wip.png][Blocked Image: https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-24zcdg2nQog%2FVOzbsiP8BuI%2FAAAAAAAAAwA%2FNwzzBDw-oT4%2Fs1600%2Frunestones_wip2.bmp&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*]


    If you guys have thoughts or suggestions for assets or art reference that would appreciated, especially for the cave areas I've been thinking hard about what i can do to make them more interesting other than just adding ore and runestones. I might add some artifical props like mining shafts but I'm not sure if i really want it to appear touched by civilization.


    Thanks for reading,

    -Andy

  • StormAndy
    • February 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    • #2

    Hey guys,


    Quick update on the progress of the map.


    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3ecwgTK3chE/VPHGjycrOpI/AAAAAAAAAwQ/Cf2WL3HtuY0/s1600/Shot00016.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PG0cr1w1mDI/VPHGknbqbrI/AAAAAAAAAwc/pZ8tfmmm1Bg/s1600/Shot00018.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IhqpWgJY8eE/VPHGkWa0dFI/AAAAAAAAAwU/KFgBAuxCp6A/s1600/Shot00020.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-E3sn6q2w7dk/VPHGnsnTVXI/AAAAAAAAAwo/UGo04O1iN2o/s1600/Shot00021.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Y5Pmv6x19lo/VPHGpeB_ekI/AAAAAAAAAww/etXEp9bacA4/s1600/Shot00022.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_B1k16duN04/VPHGplPvbzI/AAAAAAAAAw0/qneYaY_VeZk/s1600/Shot00024.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V17SFT8BFds/VPHGrrZTGyI/AAAAAAAAAxA/ba16lEto59c/s1600/Shot00026.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ukdLIORC1HI/VPHGsJWcd3I/AAAAAAAAAxE/aBiJRlSdvEk/s1600/Shot00027.jpg]


    I'm currently sculpting the bark texture at the moment, I'm quite happy with how the maps turned out so far, I've just started working on the skybox and looking at reference for ideas as to what i can add to it. So I've been looking at clouds, planets and starts etc.


    [Blocked Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kf0eqA0u7Dc/VPHG5X7-s9I/AAAAAAAAAxQ/e311-eydLA8/s1600/barksculpt_wip3.jpg]


    Thank you for your time,

    Andy

  • StormAndy
    • September 8, 2015 at 12:51 AM
    • #3

    Hey guys,

    Just a quick update but the map has been released online yesterday :) I've had some great feedback from playtesters over at gamebanana.




    You can find the download like here http://ut2k4.gamebanana.com/maps/187234

    and more screenshots on the link below

    http://abishopart.wix.com/abishopart#!dm-crater-ut2004/c1gw8


    Thanks for reading,

    -Andy

  • 2d-chris
    • September 8, 2015 at 1:11 AM
    • #4

    Colors are cool, grats :)

  • StormAndy
    • September 17, 2015 at 11:15 PM
    • #5

    Cheers :) Working on another level inspired by an old level called Starlight from Turok - Rage Wars

    This is the level in the original game, its a floating temple in space

    [Blocked Image: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/turok/images/3/3c/Turok_Rage_Wars_Multiplayer_Maps_-_Star_Light_%282%29.jpg]


    I'm going for a slightly larger version of the map with a visual theme heavily inspired by Protoss and Dreanei architechures from Warcraft/Starcraft as well as stargate and Egyptian temples. I'm currently painting the textures for the palace surface :) heres my mockup so far in max its very early days but i want a nice big floating crystal in the centre perhaps with some rings panning around it slowly like the protoss Pylons.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™