1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Past Contests
  4. Quake 3 15th Anniversary Contest

Caldera by Joacim "Grillet" Rappu

  • Grillet
  • October 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM
  • Grillet
    • October 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    • #1

    Decided to participate.

    Pictures will come later

  • Grillet
    • October 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    • #2

    Done with the very first layout. I'm not really happy with it since I'm not really 100% familiar with the level design of Quake.
    I'm going to redraw the layout to make it feel more Quake-ish, hopefully it won't be too much to redo.

    Some pictures of the block-out

  • Sprony
    • October 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    • #3

    Think less in squares as rooms and try to interconnect it a bit more. Look at the stock maps or best custom maps for inspiration. Also, different tiers doesn't mean they have to have the same height. Play around a bit with your floor levels to make it less flat. Just add some subtle height variation.

  • Grillet
    • October 16, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    • #4
    Quote from SpronyvanJohnson

    Think less in squares as rooms and try to interconnect it a bit more. Look at the stock maps or best custom maps for inspiration. Also, different tiers doesn't mean they have to have the same height. Play around a bit with your floor levels to make it less flat. Just add some subtle height variation.

    Yeah, that was the problem I noticed when I made the layout. I've drawn a new layout and will start blocking that tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a lot better.

  • Daniel Nilsson
    • October 18, 2014 at 1:25 AM
    • #5

    Don't think you'll need to throw out the whole the whole layout. Maybe you could tear it apart a bit, then patch it up and then adjust it to your liking and interconnect a bit more. Or maybe it's just my way to go from square rooms to "quakeish"

  • Grillet
    • October 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM
    • #6

    Reworked the layout. A lot happier with it, but it still needs work.
    Need to add some height variations, covers and things like that. But at least I have something to work with right now.

  • Grillet
    • October 21, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    • #7

    Had a small playtest yesterday and got some valuable feedback. Will post pictures when all that has been fixed.

    One question though, how do make so that pickups float in the air? I want a mega health in the air but I can't figure out how to make it stay there.

  • Z(Rus)
    • October 21, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    • #8

    select item, press N, and press flag "suspended", item will be hanging out there where you put it(spawn, armor, health, weapon)


    [Blocked Image: http://f5.s.qip.ru/13jhip3aE.png]

  • Grillet
    • October 21, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    • #9

    Well, that was simple. Thank you!

  • Z(Rus)
    • October 21, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    • #10

    np

  • Grillet
    • October 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    • #11

    Been working on the map according to the feedback I got and also played around some with some brushwork. Will probably change most of the brushwork since it's mostly copy pasted around the map at the moment.


  • Z(Rus)
    • October 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    • #12

    [Blocked Image: http://f6.s.qip.ru/~13jhip3by.png] [Blocked Image: http://f6.s.qip.ru/~13jhip3bz.png] [Blocked Image: http://f5.s.qip.ru/~13jhip3bA.png] [Blocked Image: http://f6.s.qip.ru/~13jhip3bB.png]

    replace the patches on the brushes. patches better use on the arches, jump pads and curves walls, patches transmit the light(as on the first screenshot, no shadow on second floor)

  • Grillet
    • October 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    • #13

    Cool. Will look more into that when I start working with the visuals on the level.

  • Grillet
    • October 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    • #14

    More work has been made and I also just had a playtest. Need to add some more cover overall, and after that I think I will probably start working on bot support and start dressing up the level.



  • Grillet
    • October 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    • #15

    Layout is more or less finished and I've started to texture the map. Will add shapes and such in the meantime.
    Also had a playtest yesterday with Daniel Nilsson and Mawnsson for some more feedback and I've also been playing the map with bots. The map fits best for 6-8 players due to the size but also works just fine with 4 players.

  • fKd
    • October 30, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    • #16

    Some nice texture combinations going on there. Keep it up!

  • Hipshot
    • October 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    • #17

    I like the third screen the most =)

  • Grillet
    • October 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    • #18

    Thanks guys

  • Grillet
    • November 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    • #19

    Started to work on some shapes and lighting. Just one area more complete atm, but will post updates when more areas gets completed.


  • Grillet
    • November 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    • #20

    Done a first pass on the lighting. Noticed that the level is in general a bit too dark, so I need to brighten it up. Also might need to add some more stuff on the walls to break up the tiling and make them a bit more fun to look at.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™