1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Modding counter-strike

  • Mapham
  • August 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • Mapham
    • August 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    • #1

    Is that even possible? I know there are modded servers in game, but I mean completely new game. Different weapons, how weapons work, new gamemode etc.

  • Kinky
    • August 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    • #2

    Modding what about it? Theres lots of modifications you can do on the server side, but everything that requires a client modifcation means you need to make a duplicate game with said modification (which doesnt really count).

  • Mapham
    • August 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    • #3

    I mean, like what counter-strike did with half-life.

  • Spherix
    • August 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    • #4

    CS:GO you mean?

  • Mapham
    • August 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    • #5

    What do you mean? Well global offensive is latest and most advanced counter-strike, so if I would build mod for CS it would be CSGO.


    But I mean, is it possible to make mod out of counter-strike, like counter-strike was made out of half-life?

  • Thrik
    • August 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    • #6

    Unless I'm mistaken all current Source games are effectively 'mods' of the Source version chosen for the project (there are numerous versions of Source going back to Half-Life 2). I've seen mods for CS:GO listed on Mod DB so I guess it must be possible.


    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Create_a_Mod

  • Mapham
    • August 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    • #7

    I dont really understand how people construct mods anyway, do they build mod in editor like hammer?

  • Thrik
    • August 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    • #8

    A lot of it is programming (writing code). If the original game has its source code available then you edit it — the same as making any game really, except you're modifying an existing one.

  • PyroGXPilot
    • August 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    • #9

    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Modding

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™