1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

dm_platform

  • DvS
  • January 5, 2005 at 1:10 PM
  • DvS
    • January 5, 2005 at 1:10 PM
    • #1

    [Blocked Image: http://up1.fastuploads.info/dm_platform_b40011.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://up1.fastuploads.info/dm_platform_b40015.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://up1.fastuploads.info/dm_platform_b40013.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://up1.fastuploads.info/dm_platform_b40012.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://up1.fastuploads.info/dm_platform_b40010.jpg]

    Inspired by quake, I was just messing with a few displacements in hammer, and it grew into a map.

    It is 100% displacements, bar a few brush based entities, and I've only been working on it for a few days.

    I post it here since a better mapper than me told me I should.

    In regards to possible comments on the lack of physics objects, there are func_physbox tiles currently, and in later versions I will have made them respawn.

    Thanks.

  • Jezpuh
    • January 5, 2005 at 1:14 PM
    • #2

    That's hot! It does look a little small though. How many players can it support?

  • DvS
    • January 5, 2005 at 1:16 PM
    • #3

    12 player spawns at the moment, although it will be rather cramped on a 12 player server.

    I knew this all along, thing is that I'm pushing the boundaries in terms of map size, it's 35mb already. Many more displacements may well kill the fps, which I forgot to mention.

    The fps is noticeably better than on overwatch, even when I turn on AA + AF, lower end machines run it just fine without AA.

  • ShaDoW
    • January 5, 2005 at 1:24 PM
    • #4

    That looks cool, but I'm worried about all those dead ends in your map that could affect the gameplay pretty bad.

  • Jezpuh
    • January 5, 2005 at 1:26 PM
    • #5

    35mb? Even the biggest singleplayer map doesn't come close to that.. wow

  • Zeta
    Guest
    • January 5, 2005 at 1:30 PM
    • #6

    There aren't really dead ends as the gravity is set defaultly slightly lower allowing jumps to other sections.

  • DvS
    • January 5, 2005 at 1:36 PM
    • #7

    Like Zeta said, the gravityscale is at 0.5, so you can jump almost anywhere from the top.

  • Fullauto
    • January 5, 2005 at 2:08 PM
    • #8

    35megs?! I don't understand......

    Nevertheless, looks cool

  • DvS
    • January 5, 2005 at 2:13 PM
    • #9
    Quote from Fullauto

    35megs?! I don't understand......Nevertheless, looks cool

    The displacements take a lot of space, I'm already 300% over what hammer calls "VERY FULL".

    Still, it's only 12mb compressed.

  • ReNo
    • January 5, 2005 at 2:25 PM
    • #10

    Funky map, looks like something made in a 3D modelling package as opposed to a level editor.

  • RD
    • January 5, 2005 at 2:37 PM
    • #11

    i think i would walk along the path and drop off the map in all those vertical curves

  • Mazy
    • January 5, 2005 at 2:43 PM
    • #12

    kinda cool

  • Schmung
    • January 5, 2005 at 2:48 PM
    • #13

    Bonkers. Like it, not sure how it would play, but it certainly looks cool as hell.

  • insta
    • January 5, 2005 at 3:03 PM
    • #14

    Aye, it does look nifty, but I would like to see some sort of central structure, maybe a wonky house or something, just to get players to have a reference to where exactly they are (everything looks kinda similar right now).

    Good job none the less

  • FrieChamp
    • January 5, 2005 at 3:28 PM
    • #15

    I was about to suggest low gravity, cool that you already added that. Looks fun.

  • KIIIA
    • January 5, 2005 at 4:03 PM
    • #16

    Id say, its the first prototype of that kind of layout & style.

    The map himself has a very great potential , use it!

    For example u could build a central eyecatchin eyecandyin structure, and teleporters, and better textures with moving trims (Q3Ashader style).

    I could also imagine a CTF version, where the round outsides of the ways are blue and red......

  • Zacker
    • January 5, 2005 at 4:19 PM
    • #17

    That map begs for jump-pads and teleporters:)

    Good job, I like the smooth style. It is however noticeable that it havent been worked that much on.

  • RA7
    • January 5, 2005 at 11:17 PM
    • #18
    Quote from Mazy

    kinda cool

    Kinda newish, not C17_like.

  • xempest
    • January 5, 2005 at 11:22 PM
    • #19

    Now think up some abstract name... 'platform' is... [Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/icon/icon19-noob.gif]

  • DvS
    • January 5, 2005 at 11:55 PM
    • #20

    It's a working title :roll:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™