1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

IN THIS THREAD I WILL ANSWER YOUR SOURCE QUESTIONS

  • zaphod
  • November 6, 2004 at 1:54 AM
  • InsaneSingingBlender
    • November 7, 2004 at 3:35 PM
    • #41
    Quote from skdr

    Is there any documentation for the shaders? How do I make my own shader for the objects?Also, why does the game set mat_fullbright "1" when I load my map. I run BSP, VIS, RAD and LIGHTS - all of them.

    Also, can you please explain whats effect is done with shadow_control?

    Thanks in advance Zaph

    it did that to me when i was running rad with -extra, try -normal

  • Tequila
    • November 7, 2004 at 3:38 PM
    • #42
    Quote from Pericolos0

    then learn how to modelits essential!!!!!!

    True!

  • Taylor Swift
    • November 7, 2004 at 4:34 PM
    • #43

    Let me ask you if Half Life 2 is using real-time shadows and lighting or pre compiled or something.

    :-o

  • kleinluka
    • November 7, 2004 at 4:45 PM
    • #44

    pre-compiled

  • Tequila
    • November 7, 2004 at 5:05 PM
    • #45
    Quote from kleinluka

    pre-compiled

    Yeah, but you can have dynamic spotlight-esque stuff that swings about etc.

  • Skjalg
    • November 7, 2004 at 5:39 PM
    • #46
    Quote from Tequila

    True!

    But there is no good tutorials for us mappers, its like hard to learn how to model... I think some super wise mapcorian guy should make like 2-3 tutorials, made especially for ol' mappers such as us, written so we understand it... with some basic tips and hints.. "how to make a chair" "how to make a pipe" etc...

    and we could put it into a new section called guides, where posts that also has guide-like stuff in them goes...

    I want a guide forum :D:D (every decent design communties got one)

  • DD
    • November 7, 2004 at 6:14 PM
    • #47

    Does anyone know where some good tutorials are on the basics of displacement maps?

    I figured out how to create them, and sort of paint the heights. But it sucks! I can't find out how to paint multiple layers of terrain on a DM. I can't figure out how to view the terrain in wireframe, editing terrain in textured view sucks!

    Sometimes I manage to alter the angle of the height paint tool. So it pushes at an odd angle.

    Zaphy?

    Also, how to make glass? I tried func_breakable but my brush keeps reseting to brush. !

  • zaphod
    • November 7, 2004 at 6:31 PM
    • #48

    god I'm such a pushover. I'm writing some docs.

    http://www.marshmonkey.com/tuts/

  • zaphod
    • November 7, 2004 at 6:32 PM
    • #49

    I'll see if I can find time to write a terrain tut after I finish my shader tuts.

  • zaphod
    • November 7, 2004 at 8:03 PM
    • #50
    Quote from Pericolos0

    the model viewer has a show parallax mapping option?so you can have parallax mapping in source? like virtual displacement maps?

    there is support for this written into source, but it was added at the last second, and it is currently disabled becuase it is not used anywhere in hl2 or cs:s.

  • zaphod
    • November 7, 2004 at 8:17 PM
    • #51

    DD I started a tut for the terrain, and noticed what you were tlaking about, the overlay for the grid of triangles is fuct, making it pretty tough to edit terrain.

  • Bic-B@ll
    • November 7, 2004 at 11:16 PM
    • #52
    Quote from Bic-B@ll

    edit: i was jsut able to use hammer on my dads steam accout and i did a quick configure and then it said:

    unable to find gameinfo.txt relative to *.solutions

    and then hammer closes, can i somehow fix this?

  • this is the clown
    • November 7, 2004 at 11:29 PM
    • #53
    Quote from Bic-B@ll

    I had that too so I copied the gameinfo.txt from sourcesdk\cstrike_sample_content to where it was saying it needed to go

  • Schmung
    • November 7, 2004 at 11:52 PM
    • #54

    My terrain seems to be working reasonably well, stiched some together earlier and that worked ok, but what does the smoothing group stuff do? Doesn't seem to have much of an effect that I've noticed..

    Edit : On and this is a supremely stupid question which I will probably work out the asnwer too once I've psoted this, but how do I scale models?

  • zaphod
    • November 8, 2004 at 12:09 AM
    • #55

    you can't scale models.

  • Schmung
    • November 8, 2004 at 12:37 AM
    • #56

    eh...

    I'm sure it said somewhere that you could. Fuck. That stuffs me over slightly. :x

  • Bic-B@ll
    • November 8, 2004 at 1:25 AM
    • #57

    http://www.romeojguy.com/hl2world/CSSHammer.rar

    ))

  • InsaneSingingBlender
    • November 8, 2004 at 2:49 AM
    • #58

    is it possible to make mirrors in source?

  • DelaZ
    • November 8, 2004 at 3:22 AM
    • #59

    Hey Zaph...

    I'm trying to get a model ingame. It worked perfectly so far but I can't get the transparent parts look transparent. I made an alpha channel in Photoshop.

    Here is how my vmt file looks like :

    Quote

    "VertexLitGeneric"{

    "$model" "1"

    "$basetexture" "models/insurgency/t72_burn"

    "$surfaceprop" "metal"

    }

    How it looks in Hammer :

    [Blocked Image: http://users.pandora.be/desert/delaz/prob.jpg]

  • zaphod
    • November 8, 2004 at 6:23 AM
    • #60

    add "$translucent" "1"

    if you want it to be one bit transparency, also add

    "$alphatest" "1"

    also, that transparency channel has to be in the alpha channel of the regular texture if it isn't already.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™