1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

mesh smoothing with brushes

  • mjens
  • May 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM
  • mjens
    • May 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    • #1

    i'm looking for a plugin or tool which I could smooth part of a model with a round brush like in photoshop... is it even possible to do that in 3ds max 9?

  • skdr
    • May 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM
    • #2

    That's actually pretty clever idea

  • Psyshokiller
    • May 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM
    • #3

    Don't really get it but maybe "paint deformation" is what you're looking for. It's in the editable poly modifier.

  • Zacker
    • May 19, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    • #4

    Are you talking about mesh smoothing as in subdividing it such as the meshsmooth modifier does? I don't think this feature exists in max, but could indeed be a good idea.

    If you are looking for just smoothing the existing polygons however, then the paint deformation relax does the job nicely.

  • mjens
    • May 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    • #5

    No no.

    I'm looking for a tool that will decrease/increase distance between verts so the won't make sharp edges. Yes, its just a meshsmooth or turbosmooth but i want to use that feature with a brush like painting in photoshop. I want to smooth only part of the model...

  • Sindwiller
    • May 19, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    • #6

    Blender has that feature. :monocle: But I'm pretty sure you don't want to touch it.

  • Psyshokiller
    • May 20, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    • #7

    As soon as I've seen you replyed to this thread, I knew there must be some wicked open source solution for the problem.

  • mjens
    • May 20, 2008 at 9:56 PM
    • #8

    found it

    Editable poly > select all verts form your mesh > go to 'paint deformation' in editable poly > click on 'relax' and check what's heppening with the verts then you click and move while holding distance is smoothing! I still don't know how to modify it only on X or Z axis...

    great succes

  • Psyshokiller
    • May 21, 2008 at 1:33 PM
    • #9

    That's what we told you.

  • Sindwiller
    • May 21, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    • #10
    Quote from Psyshokiller

    As soon as I've seen you replyed to this thread, I knew there must be some wicked open source solution for the problem.

    Dafür stehe ich mit meinem Namen.

  • mjens
    • May 22, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    • #11
    Quote from Psyshokiller

    That's what we told you.

    yeah I see now - you're right so thanks a lot

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™