1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Lykrast

Posts by Lykrast

  • de_contract

    • Lykrast
    • March 22, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    Quote from Quotingmc

    8 hours ago, Quotingmc said: I agree I need to do a full clipping pass and smooth movement, will try for next update as well.

    I just remembered (and I can't get a screenshot yet), on the elevated area of A iirc (the one that doesn't have a ladder), there is a part with a fence that is clipped. I would suggest removing that one clip because myself (and maybe other people) have the habit of jumping on that kind of pixelwak then on the fence to climb ir. It's just a little something in the list of the things that would make navigating easier, and I don't think it would change much since you'll be more vulnerable doing those 2 jumps than walking to the ramp.

    Quote from Quotingmc

    9 hours ago, Quotingmc said: For the little room in the mid to B connector, I could make it accessible, I am just wondering if it would become a camp spot to hide in and then burst onto B for the back stab on a planting T side as CT have control of the connector first. It could work with a some changes though. I would love to hear if you have any more specific ideas on how that could be developed as an idea.

    I'd say add some small crate near the window so that you could jump through it from the bottom. Considering the window is quite large and the door has a big window in it, as long as you make it lit enough, I don't think people camping here would be a problem (at least if people are experienced enough to check it). At worst, you could just enlarge the window a bit more, or add some crates near its wall (right side when viewing from the door) to reduce the amount of space to check if it proves to be too much of a pain to check.

  • de_contract

    • Lykrast
    • March 21, 2016 at 8:57 PM

    Note : all this feedback was gathered from the workshop version I got, which included no rocks).

    First of all, this map looks really promising, at least visually. I'm a huge fan of Season's and new Nuke's look, and I really think this one could look as nice.

    Secondly, here is an album of a bunch of minor complains I have : http://imgur.com/a/XgjDO

    As well as that, I'll add that it would be nice to have a radar overview in game (even if it's not perfect, just a basic one), as well as arrows pointing towards bombsites, they help navigation drastically and aren't that hard to add.


    As for what I've concluded after a match with bots (for all it's worth) : the map plays nicely, I feel like cover at the bombsites is good, I didn't have any major problem when navigating through the map as CT, but I will say that as T the paths to mid aren't that obvious.

    A minor final complain would be that you could color code different areas to make them more recognisable, it's already kinda done with A having a red pattern, but the rest was just white.

    Overall, very promising, I'll look forward to this map.

  • [CS:GO] de_Cuba

    • Lykrast
    • March 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM

    I volunteer to help test a bit, although it will hugely depend on when you plan to do it.

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 15, 2016 at 6:03 PM

    Alright, after changing my mind a bit, showing this map to my global elite friend (who proceeded to beat the hell out of me while simultaneously doing some stupid shit), and looking a bit more at other maps (mainly Tuscan and Season, although I don't think this matters too much), here is version Alpha 4.

    Download : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B83zt…OGRoX3RtX1JLa3M

    Screenshots + overview : http://imgur.com/a/KIhHL

    This version comes with a new sun angle and skybox, as well as some tweaks to both bombsites (notably the window room in B being merged with the mid entrance and being replaced with the arches; and the T balconey in A getting a door), a sightly larger T spawn (although it doesn't do much, it looks better) and a (yet again) reworked CT spawn.

    I still would like to gather people's feedback and opinions, especially about mid since it's an area I'm not satisfied with, while at the same time not knowing what to do with it.

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    Quote from Wrakk

    I understand crates on bomb sites but A site is crate central right now. You need to remove a few of them and try to replace some other ones to vary it up a bit.

    I'll try to change it up a bit then on the next version, although I would argue that it's one of the things to distinguish it a bit from bombsite B (which I'll also do some cleanup, I'm not satisfied much with the crates there).

    Quote from Wrakk

    A lot of the interiors are also way too dark.

    Is there any specific interior(s) that you feel like is/are too dark, or is it just a general sense ? I have some ideas on my own, but I want to make sure I "fix" the correct ones once I'll do it.

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 11, 2016 at 6:49 AM

    Another update released, with more changes to A site, a reworked mid and an overhauled CT spawn. In addition to that, the layout has been simplified quite a bit by removing that huge "second mid" next to A and cutting down all connectors from the CT balconey that overlooks mid.

    Download : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B83zt…eHFfdmlISXJYMlE

    Screeshot album + layout : http://imgur.com/a/dpuib

    I kinda want to collect some more feedback before submitting this map (again) to the playtest submission thingy, just to fix obvious flaws and stuff I've missed to ensure it'll play as good as it can.

    PS : I did not realise how close to Mirage's A my A T entrances where until I finished them... not that it matters much but I just wanted to clarify.

  • How does Valve get func_ladders to work in their maps?

    • Lykrast
    • March 11, 2016 at 6:23 AM
    Quote from tr0nic

    Having a brush with ladder texture applied to the ladder face ( other 5 faces with nodraw ) works fine.

    Just straight up making a brush with 6 ladder faces works fine too, although I don't know if it's better or worse than what you suggested.

    However, you'll need to build them manually in the nav mesh, in nav_edit 1, point at them and use the command "nav_build_ladder", which also automatically connects the newly created ladder mesh to nearby areas, so there's that.

  • [CS:GO] de_Cuba

    • Lykrast
    • March 9, 2016 at 7:17 AM

    I think 12 seconds for a direct rotation from CT spawn is ok, but for the T side of thing maybe you could reposition the sites to be more in the middle as you said.

    The best thing I can tell you to do though is to measure the rotation time of active duty maps yourself (I could have done it for you but I don't have time yet, maybe I'll edit the post later to add them), and see if you think you're close enough or not.

    Another thing you could do is run around your greybox and see if any area feels like it doesn't do much, or if some corridors feel really weird to navigate, that's a good way to know (at least for me) if some areas could use to be sightly redone/reduced in size.

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 7, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    Quote from Logic

    I'd change the sun angle a bit. It's almost it has to be -80 degrees or something, doesn't really feel that natural

    Yeah I know, but I kinda wanted the glass roof at mid to make a pretty effect on the ground... I'll tinker with it more once I'll get to work on the next verison

    Quote from jackophant
    • You have a few very steep ramps, particularly the A connector
      • These don't play very well as people can vary altitude rapidly and use them for head peeks

    The A connector was kinda of rushed, as I compressed this part of the map because it had a line where it was nothing but straight corridors. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll try to see if I can find a better way of doing it.

    Quote from jackophant
    • You have a lot of long angles AWPy angles you should really tighten up with staggering of paths or more substantial cover

    Could you make a quick album of screenshots or highlight them into the layout and send them to me please ? That would really help in fixing them. Although I just want to add that the one in the A "second mid" is intentional.

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 7, 2016 at 11:38 AM

    Preemptive sorry for posting twice in a row.

    After working on it during the weekend, the second version of the map is now available, it has been greyboxed for a potential playtest, has been somewhat simplified and also features a revamped bombsite A (with an experimental thing to it). A big thanks to RZL for pointing out some issues I didn't even think of.

    Download : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B83zt…eElvU1JMUndHRlE

    Layout + timings + screenshots : http://imgur.com/a/SeNo6

    And if you want to read on bombsite A's experimental twist, you can read an explanation about it below :

    Quote

    So A now features what I could call a "second mid" : a long corridor accessible by both terrorists and CTs that can easily be pinned down by a CT sniper. Taking control of this area as Ts will open up 3 new entrances : one to the site, another to the catwalk part of the site and a farther away entrance to CT spawn, which allows for a long flank may you have the time to do it.

    I am very aware that this might not be a good idea, but I'm willing to try it at least, just to see if it works. If it does, then that'll be at least one thing that will differenciate my map from more classic ones. If it doesn't work, I'm ready to gut a huge part of it to turn it either into a straight up second T entrance or some sort of extension to the site.

    At this point, I'm just hoping that it'll get accepted into playtesting with this feature still in, mostly because I couldn't really find a good equivalent to it in the current competitive map pool; but as I said, I won't be mad if I had to scrap it, at least I would have tried.

  • [CS:GO] de_Cuba

    • Lykrast
    • March 6, 2016 at 12:29 PM

    While I can't really judge the map properly by its layout alone, it does seems quite interesting, and I'll look forward to it. However, before I can really say anything about my complains, I need to know if the stairs that links Connector and Upper Mid goes down to Connector (kinda like Mirage's tunnels) or up to Connector.

    Also, I would suggest 2 things to improve the readability :

    • Add an arrow near each stairs, pointing towars what part is up
    • Grey out the fenced area between Upper Mid and T Spawn, to make it a tiny bit more obvious that it's not accessible
  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 5, 2016 at 8:18 AM
    Quote from McMessenger

    Simplifying the routes in a level is always a great idea when developing a CS:GO map; if it's too complicated for you, then it's definitely too complicated for anyone who's never played it before.

    The thing is that, for me, the layout feels very simple. Although I would admit that maybe one or 2 corridors could be just a little bit simpler, I still don't find anything really to say about it.

    Quote from McMessenger

    While the structures and buildings look promising, I feel like there could be more varied props and brush work.

    I didn't really spend much time detailing the map, I really wanted to test the layout more than anything else. Although the main problem here is that the playtest sheet told me to greybox the map (and improve lightning and redo bombsite A), which means detailing will take much more time than that.

    But thanks for saying it's promising though.

    EDIT (to not post twice in a row) : I'll post the second version around monday, it will be completly greyboxed (requested by the playtest sheet), have a sightly simplified mid to B connector, sightly redone CT spawn and a completly redone bombsite A (although I've kept its overall shape).

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 4, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    Quote from MaanMan

    I recommend simplifying the layout and removing unnecessary paths.

    Sorry to ask, but could you be a little more precise about what paths exactly seems unnecessary to you ? Without more details I can't really know how exactly should I simplify the layout.

    Quote from MaanMan

    I would also try to keep the gameplay ideas simple.

    I'm also curious about what makes you say that; is it some of the passage ways (the one you stated as "unnecessary" earlier) ? Or is it like the shape of the bombsites or some other areas ? Again, I can't really answer without more details.

    EDIT : Didn't see that the playtest sheet got updated, I guess it points out to that. Reading it kinda made me feel like I would need to completly scrap the layout, or at least a good chunk of it (from what I've understand), so maybe I'll take some break from working on this map, and maybe I'll come back on it some time later.

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 2, 2016 at 6:25 AM
    Quote from Bodd Jonar

    I don't really like the theme you are going for. Depressing brick buildings with pale interiors. I recommend that you spend some time on google and find a good theme, something a little happier, it is the very first step that you should take if you have a basic layout.

    Thanks for the tip, although I'll admit I've always been bad at finding good visuals for stuff. Personally I don't find it that depressing, mainly because of the bright sun, but it's maybe because it used to be even more depressing (white and grey everywhere).

    Either way, I'll try to find some happier theme if I can, although if you have any rough suggestion I'll happily try them out on my end.

  • [WIP] de_canaveral

    • Lykrast
    • March 1, 2016 at 9:08 PM

    The setting seems interesting, and the layout seems nice. I'll look forward to this map once the first version is available.

  • [CS:GO] de_aftermath (WIP)

    • Lykrast
    • March 1, 2016 at 7:39 PM

    As someone who really wants to get into CS:GO mapping, I've been working on some time on this map, which will be my first public competitive (ish) map.

    Steam Workshop (include screenshots and overview) : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=659156801

    Set in an old european city akin to Inferno/Italy, terrorists must work their way through this standard Dust 2/Cache/Mirage/Season style layout to blow up one of the 2 bombsites. The map is currently quite early in development, with the layout still being iterated with and detailling not being done yet.

    Radar overview :

    Spoiler [Blocked Image: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/489018224652391856/304A6E135AE5F86F29A613BA5F4321E8F51CD145/]

  • Mapcore Introductions Thread

    • Lykrast
    • March 1, 2016 at 6:58 PM

    Hello, I am a french student who is trying to get into CS:GO mapping. I'm currently working on my first competitive-ish map and came here thanks to some guy on reddit while looking for people to play it (I'll do the proper survey thing once I'm done with the post and the screenshots).

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™