1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Single

Posts by Single

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • December 24, 2014 at 5:27 AM

    There is no strong reason it has to be set in Germany. The GSG-9 are an underused CT team, and de_overpass put in a few German-language props and signs I could use.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • December 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM
    Quote from Squad

    On a more serious note, this looks like an interesting map. Is there a download available somewhere? Didn't came accross a link in this thread.


    I put up a version on dropbox for the playtest, here. This is not the most recent version, and does not have all recent changes (see my previous post in this thread). When I feel confident enough, I'll put another download for playtesting, and I'll post a link to it in this thread.


    Quote from Squad

    Btw, what's wrong with de_neutron?


    Sorry, I was not specific enough earlier. I'm happy with the name of the map to be de_neutron, what I'm unsure about is to what name the facility within the map. The original name was supposed to 'Hidden Forest Research Reactor' translated into German, but I screwed that right up.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • December 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM

    So I've looked at the demo that was recorded from the playtest the other day. A huge thankyou to everyone who contributed, and left feedback, it was terribly useful. It seems there were some fairly common complaints about the map:

    • The map is confusing, with lots of paths and corners to check.
    • The window at mid is OP.
    • There some discussion about the vents over B, some thought they were OP, others not.
    • A site is too confusing, and needs more places to hold as CT.
    • There is a lot of glass to be broken.
    • Fnuggi is OP.

    I've taken a lot of the advice onboard, and have made great lengths to simplify the layout of the map:

    • I've removed completely the window, and the lower path from mid-to-B. Next to the CT-stairs, there is now another set of stairs going down, which leads to old mid-to-B path.
    • Vents have been removed entirely, and the mid entrance to vents has been simplified. To compensate, I'm working on making B site a bit bigger overall, to give more places to hide as T and as CT.
    • A site room has been redesigned, with the back corner behind the spool being dragged back to form an irregular hexagon. This should solve the problem of there being nowhere to hold as CT, and to act as a point of reference for understanding the layout of A site.
    • Redesigned tunnels, so that T's get a bit of breathing space before being seen by CTs.
    • Redesigned the checkerboard room, so that its further back, and T's can hold a bit before committing to site.
    • Doubled the thickness of all the concrete walls, to slow down those wallbangs.
    • Moved the double doors back down to under the red and yellow cafe area, to make it harder for CTs to push there.
    • The library has been removed entirely.

    I still have more to go though, my current to do list includes:

    • Improving the visual cues, to make navigating the map easier (arrows, stripes etc)
    • Rethinking lots of the glass, I now agree that there was quite a lot.
    • Making it possible to solo-boost (with a difficult jump) to heaven on A site.
    • Making Fnuggi less OP (ideas for this one?)


    Quote from Deathy

    Using real location names in games, especially related to Germany is not a good idea tbh.

    Quote from Nakroma

    Geheimwald sound still really bad in german. just use Schwarzwald

    Quote from esspho

    I agree with Deathy. How about a fictional name like 'Waldheim'?


    I'm quite torn about what to name it now. I partly agree with Deathly and esspho, that using real world locations is unwise. But, Valves very own de_nuke has a big 'Harz' sign on it. I'll think about it some more, and decide what to do a bit later.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • December 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    Quote from El_Exodus

    [cut] If you have more questions regarding german words etc, you could just add me on Steam if you want.


    It appears I really messed up the translations then. Friend request inbound.


    Quote from Vaya

    how much of this is custom textures? It looks great (if a bit empty and clean just now)

    Quote from MrTwoVideoCards

    Yeah I think your textures are coming in a little too flat. [cut]


    The majority of the textures in those screenshots are custom, or modified versions of Valves textures. MrTwoVideoCards, are there any textures in particular that you think need the most improvement?


    Quote from MrTwoVideoCards

    [cut] Also looking at the layout, there seems, or at least feels like there are some unneeded locations to wander around in.

    Quote from Nakroma

    Gonna post what Lajron mentioned in chat: Middle has way too many entrances. With the vents its I think 7. That are too many corners / spots to check.


    I was a bit afraid that the map had too many areas and routes, thank you both for confirming my fears. Do either of you think there are any paths of areas that can be removed completely? If not, I'm sure I'll come up with something to simplify the map.


    Thanks to all of your for your honesty and feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • December 20, 2014 at 5:16 AM

    EDIT 19 May 2015: Spoilered out the original post, go to for latest updates.


    Quote

    EDIT: Go to to see the updates from February 2015. What follows is the OP, from December 2014.
      
    I was hoping to have something more substantial before I posted this here, but I figured I needed a thread for people to post feedback on from the play test on Sunday/Monday. Understand that there is a long way to go before I consider this map complete.

    The map I'm currently working on is called Neutron, and is a defuse map for CS:GO. The GSG9 are in to stop the Balkans from blowing up the research reactor (site A), or the supercomputer/server room (site B), of a German research facility.

    From the play test, I'm primarily looking for advice on the layout of the map, the angles etc, though feedback on the aesthetics would also be greatly appreciated. The play test is for 21:00 CET this Sunday 21st December. I'm not sure I'll be able to wake up early enough to join the playtest, plus my ping will be huge from Australia, so it would be great if you could leave any feedback in this thread. As a bit of a help, I've put together an album of nades and boosts, to help everyone get the most out of the play test: http://imgur.com/a/tjOK6

    Now, screenshots! I've worked a little bit more on the map since I submitted it for play testing, so these screenshots could be very slightly different from what you play.

    Bombsite A:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/eVzkcrh.jpg]


    Bombsite B:
    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/sg0nRVb.jpg]


    Lobby (near T spawn):
    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/eiVP9W1.jpg]


    Mid:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/Kpz1PCn.jpg]


    Layout:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/BcFh1zH.png]


    Branding Concept:
    Note that I am not a native speaker of German, I've had to use Google translate. It's supposed to say 'Hidden Forest Research Reactor', where 'Hidden Forest' is a proper noun, like 'English Channel' or 'Amazon River'. If this is not translated correctly, please let me know, and I will very happily fix it.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/P2VtSY6.png]

    There are more screenshots than I included in this post, the rest can be found in this album here: http://imgur.com/a/YrGjg

    Thanks everyone!

    Display More
  • MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 4.0

    • Single
    • December 17, 2014 at 6:13 AM

    Hi 'RZL,


    Would I be able to reserve the other spot on the 18th of December for my map de_neutron?


    Here is a .zip file containing the .bsp, the .nav, the .kv, and the radar image and .txt incase they don't work in the .bsp: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xswt8runhp6o…n_mc01.zip?dl=0


    It would also be great if I could get the demo recorded, as my ping and timezone kinda restrict me joining the server.


    Edit edit: If its better, I'm happy for it to be the 21st of December.

  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

    • Single
    • December 11, 2014 at 3:31 AM

    New train looks amazing, and cz nerf is nice too.


    But best the best part about this update is that there are all new assets for the CS:GO SDK .

  • ar_skate [CS:GO]

    • Single
    • December 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM

    ar_skate is an arms race map for CS:GO, and today I'm releasing it. You can get it on the Steam workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=353596106


    The old beachside skatepark has been renovated, but now the SWAT are here to ruin the anarchists fun.


    Not too many arms race maps are produced by the community, at least in comparison to defuse/hostage maps. This was a side project for me, to act as a bit of a refresher between my other mapping projects and university. I hope you like it, and feedback would be appreciated, either in this thread, or on the Steam Workshop page, linked above.


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/FgWJK3K.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/pyrLXJi.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/G2fLEYF.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/pELy0uy.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/oirT4Da.jpg]


    You can try out Skate here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=353596106

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Single
    • September 23, 2014 at 1:42 AM
    Quote from kinggambit

    Needs func_vehicle with skateboards!


    func_vehicle is not a crime! I'll see what I can put in.


    Quote from Deh0lise

    Add glass? I think there is a reinforced one that may fit. Looks interesting btw


    Quote from killertomato

    nice! I've not often been to skateparks where the ramps are so close together tho. and definitely no skateparks with grates between the obstacles. maybe move some ramps to make a bit more space and to make the grates more believable? or change the grates to reinforced glass? or cover the grates with a layer of reinforced glass..?

    I've tried out glass instead of the grates, it works fairly well, I'll probably keep it. And killertomato, I'll look at moving things apart. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Single
    • September 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    Quote from FMPONE

    That has a ton of potential and seems very well executed. Keep it up! Let's see some graffiti/decorations on those walls


    Thanks! I'm unsure about graffiti, as much fun as it would be to splatter graffiti over everything, I still want good visibility.


    Quote from UnknownPredator

    Agree'd and also make the grate textures smaller because those are some big holes for skateboard wheels..


    Those grates are actually windows to 'tunnels' under the map.


    [Blocked Image: https://38.media.tumblr.com/b5f4f21d12cada…b1gvo1_1280.jpg]


    So smaller holes make it more realistic, but larger holes are easier to see through .


    Quote from Frips

    Also, if I am reading the inspiration correctly, and it is based on Venice beach, you have a huge opportunity to incorporate some really nice views in the 3D skybox. Shore stylings are sorely missed in CS:GO


    You would be quite correct! Yes, building the skybox is going to be a fairly laborious, but hopefully it pays off.


    Quote from generalvivi

    Single - google search the interlopers.net ramp competition.

    you will find lots of great inspiration there. !


    Haha, only your pictures remain, generalvivi Thanks for the tip!

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Single
    • September 21, 2014 at 1:09 AM

    I'm working on an arms race map for CS:GO, set at a sunny beach-side skate park.


    [Blocked Image: https://38.media.tumblr.com/2ded8f715db211…b1gvo2_1280.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: https://33.media.tumblr.com/98d35498cf317d…b1gvo3_1280.jpg]


    I'm relatively happy with the layout, but I'm still not sure about how it looks, so any feedback you have is appreciated. There are a couple more pictures here.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Single
    • August 24, 2014 at 1:53 AM

    Obviously, this is a work in progress. I won't have much time to work on this for a few months, so don't expect more complete imagery for a while.


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/rTCqogC.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/1LGTSIk.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/4a1wpJz.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/SSJ3bYS.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/kYcMfOy.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/UIyZAhX.png]


    Excuse the hideous textures, they are just slightly better than dev textures for guiding playtesters around the map. Setting is a nuclear research reactor, which has recently undergone major expansion. Here I'm trying to (where appropriate) move myself off the grid, and create a modern looking building, whilst preserving my sanity with Hammer. Higher resolution images here.

  • Mapcore Introductions Thread

    • Single
    • August 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM

    Hi, my name is Levi, and I'm in Australia. I don't really have a large amount of experience in game development, or a job in the industry, or even a degree in a relevant field. I just really enjoy making maps, and wanted to interact with people who enjoy level design as much as I do. I was hoping that by signing up here, I could contribute to discussions, and learn from others who are more experienced than I am.


    A couple of years ago I began work a single player Source 2007 mod, but I gave up on that due to other committments. I now spend my free time making maps for Counter Strike: Global Offensive, of which I've released two so far, and I'm currently working on my third.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Single
    • July 31, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Quote from SotaPoika

    It seems to me the yellow line is under the water.


    Thats right. I've got a refraction shader in the gutters to simulate running water, and the road line is sometimes under that shader.. It looks alright in the real thing, but I'm still not entirely happy with it.


    Quote from catfood

    In the last screenshot you could add some lights to make it more appealing, streetlights carhead lights or windows that are lit.

    And I agree with Vilham that some areas are a bit blocky.


    Hmmm, that area of the map could use a bit more lighting. I'll look at doing that for the next update.


    Thanks guys!

  • cs_workout

    • Single
    • July 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM

    I love how you handled the 'reflection' of the roof on the basketball court floor. Cubemaps are lame, right?


    But really, great work, it came out terrific.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Single
    • July 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM

    I've released it as 1.00, but still think it has more to go, so I guess it still counts as WIP. Plus, I can't post in the Work Release forum, so here goes. This is de_typhoon, a defuse map for CS:GO.


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/aZRNDfg.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/XyyAkFv.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/OMj162E.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/d2JV9L1.jpg]


    More screenshots are in this imgur album, or on the Steam Workshop. I'm about to push an update to remove some exploits, and add some detail, I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what needs improving?

  • [CS:GO]de_zoo

    • Single
    • July 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM

    This looks absolutely wonderful, terrific work Squad. I eagerly look forward to release.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™