1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. onji

Posts by onji

  • What Books inspired you?

    • onji
    • December 16, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    Quote from Minos

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/4CD6n.jpg]

    I love this book.

    Quote from KoKo5oVaR

    Interesting classics (with french stuff )

    [Blocked Image: http://lifeexaminations.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/the-prince-west-side.jpg]

    +1 on this. I enjoy how candid Machiavelli is with the use of power.

    Quote from barrakid

    Regarding game design, "Theory of Fun for Game Design" was the most mind changing book I've read, it really made me look at games in a different way.

    I really enjoyed this, and I find this the best book I've read on game design from a theoretical perspective.

    [Blocked Image: http://thisisaliteraryblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/1984first1.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i43.tower.com/images/mm100631144/tractatus-logico-philosophicus-ludwig-wittgenstein-paperback-cover-art.jpg]

    I'm trying to read this at the moment, but it's one of those pieces that makes me feel retarded.

  • What are you playing now?

    • onji
    • September 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Quote from SpronyvanJohnson

    After 9 months and 105 hours, I've finally finished Skyrim. Great game, worthless ending.

    Worse than the Rage ending?

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • onji
    • September 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    Quote from Al Anselmo

    Very nice! I'd love to see more details about that.

    I never played with Flowgraph. Is it really similar to Kismet?

    I'm asking this because there's a Unity plugin called uScript, which seems to work really the same way as Kismet:

    http://www.detoxstudios.com/products/uscript/

    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/84594- ... -for-Unity!

    Pretty much. Flowgraph allows you to do your map scripting via charts/graphs.

    [Blocked Image: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2186/fg01d.jpg]

    In this example we've got the geometry for 2 lights 'ArmouryW_lightMdl1' and 'ArmouryW_lightMdl1'.

    On the condition of the light switch entity being in the off state, turn off the point light 'ArmouryW_light'

    On the condition of both light's (geometry) being destroyed, turn off the point light and disable the switch.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • onji
    • September 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    Quote from Kenturrac

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    just some scripting training. tried to rebuilt the beat hazard mechanic with flowgraph except for the procedural music spawning of course.

    F**k yes

  • Getting a new rig...... Is this good or bad?

    • onji
    • September 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    christ dude if you're living in japan anyway couldn't you at least have gone someplace warmer?!

    Yeah it does get a bit nippy here with around 120 days snowfall, but I'd trade it all for a little bit more. Plus it keeps my PC cold when I put it near the window

    PS Thanks for the input folks, I'll look into getting an OCZ if they stock that brand up here.

  • Getting a new rig...... Is this good or bad?

    • onji
    • September 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

    I'm in Sapporo Japan, and the range of parts isn't as extensive as Eu/US, so Palit seem to be the only cards here. They do have a single Asus 660 ti, which I could get if you're all positive that getting a smaller-brand is going to be cancer. On another note the Palit cards here aren't any cheaper, and got a decent review on guru3d so I thought this may be ok....

    I've been thinking of going SSD for my primary drive but it'd put me over budget. Maybe I'll hold off for a few more weeks and try fit in the SSD.

    Honestly I don't have any loyalty to HDD manufacturers. I've had Seagate, WD, Hitachi, and Samsung. I had a Seagate, which was ancient, fail on me, and a WD which only lasted a couple of years.

    Puddy - so long as it doesn't sound like a jackhammer, I don't mind a bit of noise in my case

  • Getting a new rig...... Is this good or bad?

    • onji
    • September 1, 2012 at 3:36 AM

    I'm thinking of getting a new box, and delegating my old/current one to storage duties. I'd like to get a lot of miles out of this new machine, and maybe upgrade the cpu, memory and video in a year or two. I'd appreciate if anyone can offer suggestions to this setup.

    Asus Sabertooth Z77

    Intel i5 3570K

    G.Skill 8GBx2 1866Mhz

    Palit GTX670 Jet Stream

    WD Black 2TB

    Corsair Obsidian 650 tower

    Corsair HX 750w psu

    I'm basically using this thing to dev on CryEngine, and occasionally 3dsmax and Photoshop for assets (not rendering video).

  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

    • onji
    • September 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    Quote from kleinluka

    As somebody who played the shit out of the original games, this looks fun but it's way too colorful and flashy for my taste. The cool thing about this franchise to me has always been how mysterious, spooky and, in a way, how plausible everything was. The game had a serious feel to it. This looks more like a colorful game in which you shoot aliens with laser weapons. It looks like a cool game and some of the design decisions they took look interesting. But as a hardcore fan of the original XCOM UFO Enemy Unknown I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.

    Yeah it doesn't look as dark and a bit less sinister than the original. I hope they still capture the somewhat plausible story of the original, but I don't think they've let enough tricks out of the bag yet for me to make this decision yet. Hopefully they'll still have some of those 'Shit I can hear Chryssalid somewhere, but I don't have eyes on!' moments.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • onji
    • September 1, 2012 at 1:01 AM

    Gotta love shadowcasting through staircases.

  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

    • onji
    • August 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM

    Take my money already

  • What have you watched recently?

    • onji
    • August 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    Quote from D3ads

    Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - The greatest tv show ever made. ever.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Marenghi's_Darkplace

    This ^

    On occasion I do find some truly great British comedy, and in almost all cases they never show the programme long enough.

  • What have you watched recently?

    • onji
    • August 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    Quote from D3ads

    Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - The greatest tv show ever made. ever.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Marenghi's_Darkplace

    This ^

  • What have you watched recently?

    • onji
    • August 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

    In Bruges was nicely done. Possibly the first time I've seen Colin Farrell in a serious role.

    Just started Mad Men, maaan their jobs looks sweet.

  • Door interaction

    • onji
    • August 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    Quote from Mr. Happy

    I was thinking a physics activated button.

    So a button that responds to both 'use' input and the impulse of an external rigid body or force?

    It's easy enough to get a switch that responds to 'use' input and being shot at, or registering damage. But to really 'physicalise' it might be a bit trickier.

    I think that may be possible in CE by making a 'usable' rigid body entity. The issue I immediately think of is how to do the limit the movement of the rigid body. Maybe it's no problem in CE3, but I'm using CE2, and the constrain entity only imposes angular constraints. I guess I could just build a hollow box around the button, but I think that'll look really ghetto...

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • onji
    • August 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

    Something I've been working on since sometime in May, and very much a WIP. Painting the vegetation at the moment and then planning on doing a 2nd pass on brushes before detailing. It's vanilla Crysis. I hope it's up to calibre

    [Blocked Image: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2909/wip2012081801.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/872/wip2012081802.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/677/wip2012081803.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3936/wip2012081804.jpg]

  • Crysis 3

    • onji
    • August 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM

    I dig

    I also like the post on the vox of the guys in the suit, sounds pretty badass.

    So we can fire weapons (1:09) while cloaked?

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • onji
    • August 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    Quote from Puddy

    Fine, I'll post some in-game shots!!![Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/QNx57.png]

    coming soon

    Third shot does it for me. Love the trusses, pipes & fog, it looks like it just drops off to nowhere. The masked/gobo'ed light looks a bit out of place (maybe it's just the angle of the camera in this shot but I can't see the emitter)

  • Thriko's photos

    • onji
    • August 14, 2012 at 12:45 AM

    Gotta have the god beams

  • What are you playing now?

    • onji
    • August 13, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    Quote from cityy

    I don't know, just all those options you have; you can stand there and talk 10 minutes without actually getting anywhere. My guess is I just need to play a bit more to further understand the purpose of the conversations.

    It's true that there is more mandatory conversation in the beginning while you're still in the early/tutorial phase of the game. Later on you can roam around and do your own thing, but there's still the minimum amount of conversation required to initiate and finish quests. Brilliant game IMO.

    You know you can skip through most, if not all, the dialogue. Should be space, or whatever you've got mapped to jump.

  • What are you playing now?

    • onji
    • August 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM

    I used to play Rage, then I took an arrow in the knee... Actually all this Rage talk is going to make me start a 2nd playthrough.

    Quote from cityy

    I'm (also) playing fallout 3 right now. I'm not sure if it's my type of game; I find all the dialogues to be a bit annoying. However, I'm not far into the game yet.

    Hey Cityy, what is it specifically that you don't like about the dialogue in Fallout 3?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™