1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Erratic

Posts by Erratic

  • Half-Life 2: Deathmatch 1024-unit Competition?

    • Erratic
    • April 4, 2007 at 8:01 PM

    Competition Deadline: April 30th! (for real)

    So, the last competition was pretty successful (even though no actual map pack came of it) so I figured maybe do a Source engine competition but with a bit of a twist:

    The play area must be contained within a 1024x1024 unit area of the grid.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/1024_comp.jpg]

    That is, must be within one of the brown squares

    So here's a basic outline:

    - Play area must be contained within one 1024x1024 grid block

    - Stock Half-Life 2 Content only

    - Only original maps specifically made for this contest (no recycling)

    - Focus on proper Deathmatch gameplay, this is not a 'scene' contest, but make it as pretty as you want.

    I thought this would work well, considering the map size is pretty much defined for you, it's pretty small so it's not a huge investment of time, plus with such a rigid limitation it's gonna require some creativity.

    So, is it worth doing? Does anyone plan on participating? Or is it just a terrible idea?

    If it's a yay, then maybe we can move on with an official thread like the last one?

    Note: This is just the play area that is constrained to the 1024 grid block, if a sky brush or some other element creeps its way outside a bit it's not big deal. And things like a 3d sky obviously have to be placed else where.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • April 2, 2007 at 9:09 PM

    Looks awesome, just throw some crap around for cover and your set.

  • gta4 soon

    • Erratic
    • March 30, 2007 at 6:16 AM

    I like where they're taking it. I was sort of hoping for basically a GTA3 for the next-gen consoles, that typical every-city instead of the theme heavy stuff found in Vice City and SA. Can't wait.

  • gta4 soon

    • Erratic
    • March 29, 2007 at 10:04 PM

    3...2...1...

    HTTP Error 404

    404 Not Found

    The Web server cannot find the file or script you asked for. Please check the URL to ensure that the path is correct.

    Please contact the server's administrator if this problem persists.

  • Oz PS3 Launch....

    • Erratic
    • March 28, 2007 at 7:32 AM

    Not to mention all that 10 year nonsense they were going on about (or still are). If they really are serious about that, it would explain the unremarkable beginning of the PS3 at least. Otherwise they seemed to think they could ride it out to the very end on the impulsiveness of their past consoles fan base. Which is just a tad naive I'd think.

  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R is G.O.L.D

    • Erratic
    • March 27, 2007 at 6:44 PM

    Just picked it up. I spent the first 20 minutes staring at birds and ugly bores sleeping in the grass

    I love it

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • March 24, 2007 at 11:01 PM

    Actually they're just brushes, if for no other reason than simplicity. Here's a shot if you're wondering Psycho. Nothing special, just a line of brushes cut up into however many you prefer and then extruded upwards to form whatever arch shape you need.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/brush_brdige.jpg]

    As far as texture alignment goes, just make sure the top faces are aligned with alt+click before hand so that when they're extruded up, you can simply select the top face and align the side face (using alt+click) to the appropriate angle. Hope that clears it up for you.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • March 23, 2007 at 4:58 PM
    Quote from hessi

    overall it looks cool, BUT1. can you post screenshots that arent photoshoped/color balanced

    2. your buildings look pretty much the same all the time. maybe some more variation (in the textures and heights of the buildings) would be cool.

    No photoshop except for some image resizing , also no color correction going on in the shots. Though I did modify the skybox to fit my light environment more closely...

    Quote from OrnateBaboon

    Any chance of an overview?I'd say that the road needs a blend on it, since the texture repetition is quite noticeable. Also, some of the buildings look a bit samey in height and shape (like Hessi said).

    I basically only have the primary bridge area and some interiors brushed out so far. The road is repetitive, I'll get more dirt/decals going around. As for the buildings, I was generally keeping things simple because I was a little worried about performance, but for the more closed off areas that arn't in the shots I'll be getting more creative than just a square base /triangle roof

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • March 23, 2007 at 5:04 AM
    Quote from FMPONE

    add some plant life under the bridge (anything from cat and nine tails to trees, etc), adding some posters to the walls supporting the bridge...

    I do as you command

    Thanks for the comments all.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • March 22, 2007 at 11:01 PM

    Something I've been fooling with for dod in between other stuff...Still pretty wip, lots of odds and ends to finish up.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/dod_troddle0065.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/dod_troddle0061.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/dod_troddle0063.jpg]

  • [REL] DoD_Stuttgart_b2

    • Erratic
    • March 22, 2007 at 9:15 PM

    There's a lot to like in the map and it's quite unique, unlike anything I've seen come out of the dod:s custom maps, but it does appear to be pretty rough around the edges. If you could implement some of the suggestions above, especially in regards to the lighting/brushwork you could pull a lot more out of the map.

    A few critiques, the arches in the warehouse screen could be a lot smoother, seems you only used about 6 brushes for each arch. Also, some of the buildings simply don't have the same structure as others. Maybe try and keep a consistent level of polish on all of them, otherwise they just appear awkward when placed next to one another. An example, the destroyed building in the third screen at the top of the thread, you basically just have a triangle to indicate a destroyed surface. Doesn't have quite the same amount of time put into it compared with the surrounding buildings.

    Also, try to disable shadows on certain props. A lot of the time they, like the corner stone prop, tend to fit a lot better without the shadow casting.

  • The random model thread!

    • Erratic
    • March 22, 2007 at 4:00 AM

    I like it Rick. The broken bits I think work, suited more for a real time engine than a high poly scene (if that was the intention).

  • Test your IQ bitchez

    • Erratic
    • March 20, 2007 at 3:08 PM

    104, I don't recall my stats, took it a few days ago, it was a nation wide event y'know?

  • Eidos goes Steam

    • Erratic
    • March 19, 2007 at 5:05 AM
    Quote from SnipaMasta

    It's nice that they've done it, but they've missed lots of their best games (Deus Ex and Thief being the obvious ones).

    In a perfect world they'd have all owned the retail version

  • Now playing

    • Erratic
    • March 17, 2007 at 11:12 PM

    Titan Quest

    God of War II

    Too much Greek mythology

  • Unreal mapping community

    • Erratic
    • March 13, 2007 at 10:03 PM

    I can't really speak for any communities out there but the largest one I know of is the BeyondUnreal Forums.

    As for technical information on learning the engine, I use the UDN. As far as I know it's the most updated/informative site about the editor/engine/pipeline.

    I'm sure others around here should be able to post some better links, but that's the one I rely on most.

  • Useful links for atmosphere/ambiance in your maps

    • Erratic
    • March 9, 2007 at 9:38 PM

    Cool links.

    Not sure where I found these, but I've had them bookmarked for awhile:

    http://%7boption%7d

    http://%7boption%7d

    http://%7boption%7d

    http://%7boption%7d

    http://%7boption%7d

    http://%7boption%7d

    http://%7boption%7d

  • gta4 soon

    • Erratic
    • March 9, 2007 at 5:23 AM
    Quote from merkaba

    Oh, on a more serious note; does anyone know if Rockstar have sold their rendering engine to anyone? Or offered to? San Andreas is so unbelieveably cool due to its non-loading-time nature, and I have a game in my head that demands the same capability to make it truely worthwhile.

    They all used Renderware if I recall correctly. It's a fairly well known engine.

  • The random model thread!

    • Erratic
    • March 3, 2007 at 10:01 PM

    Another random model

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/kiosk.jpg]

    1024x1024 Diffuse

  • C&C 3

    • Erratic
    • February 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM

    Everything seems to be pretty well done in the game, from the visuals to the interface, which goes back to the original C&C layout. Plus the FMV's are back which is always cool, but I got a Generals vibe when I started to play it that sort of put me off.

    Seems like a decent enough RTS but after Company of Heroes it feels a bit dated as far as gameplay goes.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™