1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. capone_adam

Posts by capone_adam

  • totally random texture thread

    • capone_adam
    • October 11, 2007 at 8:33 AM

    Yeah static, at the moment its a bit

    a) too repetitive,

    b) too noisy

    c) too much like a photo

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM

    I'm done with this now. Time to rest!

    beauty shot...

    [Blocked Image: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/kenman2626/malvon_wip22.jpg]

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM

    Hey you go

    [Blocked Image: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/kenman2626/malvon_wip20.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/kenman2626/malvon_wip21.jpg]

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 5, 2007 at 9:25 AM

    Thanks KoKo5oVaR! been wondering where I could put engraving as quite a few people have suggested it. I'm a bit confused as to where to put them, I think the areas you picked out are the best areas for it. I'm hoping they won't over power the design or look weird from a distance, I'll see how it goes.

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 4, 2007 at 9:35 PM

    Created spec map, also rips and patches on cloak.

    [Blocked Image: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/kenman2626/malvon_wip19.jpg]

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 4, 2007 at 12:09 PM

    update of me playing around with the camera lens idea. Need spec and reflection still obviously. Is this going in a better now? or was it better before?

    [Blocked Image: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/kenman2626/malvon_wip18.jpg]

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 4, 2007 at 10:00 AM

    Colour test, preferences?

    [Blocked Image: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/kenman2626/malvon_wip17-1.jpg]

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 4, 2007 at 7:36 AM

    Hmm I 100% try the photo lens idea with the texture pass, I like it. Too late to change the model pass (its for a comp). As for self illumination that was planned, I will indeed do a lightbake so you get nice soft warm orange light hitting his mask.

    As for scratches and spec, its coming Though the scratches will be light and general. I don't want his mask looking really work out and damaged, or maybe it should? I just don't want to take the focus off the shape and design etc

  • 17th century plague doctor - texture pass

    • capone_adam
    • October 4, 2007 at 12:55 AM

    Working on the texture now for my character based on a 17th century plague doctor. For more info on how I got here you can check...

    http://www.mapcore.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9643

    Anyway, around 50% done now...

    [Blocked Image: http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/kenman2626/malvon_wip17.jpg]

  • totally random texture thread

    • capone_adam
    • October 1, 2007 at 8:21 PM
    Quote from Pericolos0

    theres some on my old portfolio if you want any to review http://cmdstud.khlim.be/~beulaers/portfolio

    Thanks! Gonna be hard to crit though, this stuff is BEAUTIFUL!! I really dig it. Would love to show some of it as an example of good texturing! cannot believe I've never come across your portfolio before! Very inspirational.

  • totally random texture thread

    • capone_adam
    • October 1, 2007 at 8:17 PM

    Doesn't really work on cylinders.

    The 'holes' in the texture are actually very nicely done, not too much not too little. The main problem is that the highlights/shadows are single block colours, I'd blend them a bit. Not sure why alot of artists always do this with cartoon textures. Unless of course you're going for that really stylish in your face cartoon approach but hardly anyone does it these days.

  • totally random texture thread

    • capone_adam
    • September 30, 2007 at 11:44 PM

    baaaah

    I get so confused and often forget maps in 'mod' forums like these mean erm, levels. I mean texture sheets which some people call skins. Though thats usually for characters. I was just thinking of environment maps such as this one,

    http://bp1.blogger.com/_BbtuBvaZEEs/Rv- ... all_01.jpg

  • totally random texture thread

    • capone_adam
    • September 30, 2007 at 12:28 PM
    Quote from dux

    Ooh, me!

    http://www.mapcore.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6837

    http://dux.interlopers.net/dm_drift_revised.rar

    Make sure color correction is on.

    I was actually thinking more along the lines of actual texture maps/sheets.

  • totally random texture thread

    • capone_adam
    • September 28, 2007 at 12:01 PM

    Is there anyone here who would be willing to let me to go over/review one of their maps in complete honesty for my texture blog?

  • UGAC - 17th Century Plague Doctor

    • capone_adam
    • September 26, 2007 at 9:00 AM

    Initially I assigned a mentral ray shader with ambient occlusion but for some crazy reason it would only render out a 75% corner of my map. So in the end I applied standard shader, threw in a skylight, turned on light tracer and rendered to texture.

    I got a very soft result and had to adjust levels in photoshop

  • UGAC - 17th Century Plague Doctor

    • capone_adam
    • September 26, 2007 at 7:40 AM
    Quote from Psyshokiller

    Looks fine so far. What do you mean by Lightmap btw.? AO?

    Heh, was talking about this last night at work. In the end we agreed lightmaps and AO are more or less the same thing. I took the lightmap and played with the levels so that it had an AO effect.

  • UGAC - 17th Century Plague Doctor

    • capone_adam
    • September 26, 2007 at 12:20 AM

    Thanks for all your comments. To sum it up so far...

    I'm glad I stayed away from the gasmask idea, I can see why people see it as cool but I just felt it was too cliche going away from the plague doctor design.

    I don't want to make the beak sharp and angled since I don't see this character as an evil nasty character but rather a 'healer'. Yep the high poly was created in zbrush. I did a lightmap today,

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip14.jpg]

  • UGAC - 17th Century Plague Doctor

    • capone_adam
    • September 25, 2007 at 8:53 AM

    I'm currently casually taking part in a competition over at cgtalk. The challange is to take an known character or type of character and to reverse/change it. So for example cheerful darth vader, Mrs Mumra, medievil master chief or a futuristic medievil knight.

    I'm going with a modern cyborg take on a 17th Century Plague Doctor.

    Thing is my thread is hardly getting any comments so I'm posting here to get any extra feedback. I'll just post my progress so far which includes research, concept and modeling.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.exn.ca/news/images/1998/06/17/19980617-plaguedoctor.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.slowburning.com/store/media/nose_web1.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://arts.atenveldt.com/Portals/arts/2005/plague%20mask.gif]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip01.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip02.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip03.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip04.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip05.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip06.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip07.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip08.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip09.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip10.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip11.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip12.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.caponeart.com/malvon_wip13.jpg]

  • Texture artist blog

    • capone_adam
    • September 16, 2007 at 7:27 PM

    Sorry for long responce jaboo, I would gladly look at any other submissions or articles to link to ect so let me know if you can think of a good one. As long as its not something too intensive as I want to keep the 'easy to digest' aspect of my blog.

  • Texture artist blog

    • capone_adam
    • September 10, 2007 at 1:24 AM

    Getting quite alot of hits for this blog now. Have had 600+ visitors and over 1500 hits.

    My main crit seems to be that I don't go too deep into details with my tips. I'm planning to be more precise in the future, though for now I want to still keep everything short and easy to digest as possible.

    Any new feedback now we're some weeks into this?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™