1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. RabidMonkey

Posts by RabidMonkey

  • HL2DM - Exodus

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 23, 2004 at 5:51 AM

    This was very fun to play except for three things which I was annoyed with:

    Uno - Tree glitch. You know.

    Dos - The windows by the player spawn and the dumpster-car-zombie area need to be breakable, otherwise there's no flow between there and it takes too long to go between them and is just annoying.

    (On the subject of spawns, add more. Please.)

    Tres - The physobjects and the boxes which spawned nothing were annoying because there was little ammo and you couldn't drag the items out of their areas easily. (I couldn't steal the barrels over by the zombie-dumpster-car area to toss in the blue dumpster D:) Add in a few smaller things, like more paint-can sized stuff (Sawblades?) for people to take around the map.

    Overall it seemed to fit the Ravenholm theme fairly well, lighting was perfect and bright enough for DMmage. Add in some flame traps like Gregori had setup in the SP level for people to try and fry each other with, and just add some trimming and general brush detail and it's a solid map. If you actually have more than 1 spawn point, that is.

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 23, 2004 at 5:35 AM

    Trapt - I believe I've set the angle with the env_sun which is where the skybox sun is, so light is being cast from the source of the sun where it would actually be - I can't edit the skybox so it has to stay there D:

    As for the color...It's too harsh orange? Should it be more of a...soft peachy color?

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 23, 2004 at 3:30 AM

    Updates...

    [Blocked Image: http://rabidmonkey777.bluewolf72.com/imagery/dm_petrol/dm_petrol40004.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://rabidmonkey777.bluewolf72.com/imagery/dm_petrol/dm_petrol40007.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://rabidmonkey777.bluewolf72.com/imagery/dm_petrol/dm_petrol40010.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://rabidmonkey777.bluewolf72.com/imagery/dm_petrol/dm_petrol40008.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://rabidmonkey777.bluewolf72.com/imagery/dm_petrol/dm_petrol40006.jpg]

    Apologies well for as acting like a

    complete ass. I hope I've relight some of it a bit better? Some of it

    still needs work, though I feel the interior lighting is better, and it's easier to see in-game for some reason.

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 12, 2004 at 9:52 AM

    No, I suppose I haven't learned anything regarding lighting in the 3 years I've been mapping.

    It doesn't have any of the nicer lighting visible because of the new way light_spots work - I assumed that the outer range of the lighting cone would actually cast some level of light onto surfaces when in fact it doesn't do that very well, so I've had to readjust settings on the lights. The compile time takes quite a while so I can't really just do a quick 'recompile and re-screenshot' so I'll get some nicely light-up screenies when I have the time to recompile.

    Just figured I'd show progress. This is the WIP section, is it not?

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 12, 2004 at 1:38 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.snarkpit.com/pits/hugh/petrol/dm_petrol40000.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.snarkpit.com/pits/hugh/petrol/dm_petrol40001.jpg]

    Two new shots of the refinery-area itself. The lighting is still bland, because a few of my lights did not get rendered at all, otherwise brushwork and such is complete.

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 8, 2004 at 5:21 PM

    It's set in a downtown sort of refinery building - I've er, redone the indoors and created more of a refinery-ish setting, based off some refpics I've been using.

    The engine actually doesn't choke on this too much - The cityscape in the background is rendered with a 3d skybox, which is very cheap to render. The brick wall is there as I assumed it would be present in a real-life setting (some factory next to the highway and in relation to other buildings) - Would it be better to have just a chain-link fence and a view leading out to the streets, with a much more detailed skybox, showing a street-level view of the surrounding area? I'll experiment with that path when I get home from work.

    I completely agree on the lighting front - The indoor lighting will be a bit darker, possibly even with most of the ceiling lighting removed and some volumetric light coming through the overhead windows. There also will be some green/red lighting on the machinery, and I'll experiment around with some blue-ish lighting. Trying to work on architecture, at the moment, as to get a playable version done, so I'll be sure to work on perfecting the lighting later on.

    It probably seems random and illogical, at the moment - My nasty screenshot-frenzy accounts for that. The actual map file is er, less random. Maybe if I sketch a layout, that would help a bit? Or somehow get an overview of it?

    And yeah, my trainstation lamps look stupid as they don't cast any visible light, though the sprite is super-bright

    Anyways, thanks for the comments, all.

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 8, 2004 at 8:58 AM

    Mirrored here if anyone's having trouble with the first link:

    http://www.snarkpit.com/pits/hugh/petrol/

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 8, 2004 at 8:35 AM

    Yargh, its there...everyone seems to be having trouble with viewing the images. I'll try to mirror them somewhere.

  • dm_petrol

    • RabidMonkey
    • December 8, 2004 at 6:58 AM

    Yeah, most of you have probably seen this one place or another, whether it was on the frontpage of RUST or at the SnarkPit, but nonetheless I'm posting a bit for it here too as to get the widest audience for commenting and improvment.

    http://rabidmonkey.bluewolf72.com/imagery/dm_petrol

    28 lovely screenshots for yah there. They're of a relatively small filesize for quicker loading, so don't be deterred, modem users.

    If you have any comments in any form, please post them.

    Cheers.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™