1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Minos

Posts by Minos

  • art test feedback/help!

    • Minos
    • November 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM

    I agree with Philip. I never understood why people have their low poly models in one smoothing group, unless you are working on a highly organic mesh it will look horrible. The normal map also looks ugly as hell and becomes a lot more difficult to edit in photoshop because of all the large gradients.

    Regarding your low poly I'd do the following:

    - If you can use two maps for this, use one for the body and another for opacity mapped details

    - You can save polies on the handles by using simple planes with opacity map instead of cylinders

    - You can remove a few edge loops on the top part (like the one crossing the model in the middle). You could also remove the bevels on the top part, you can suggest that with the normal map.

    - Do what Philip said and model the interior with the polies you saved!!

    Good luck!

  • Pirates of New Horizons

    • Minos
    • November 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM
    Quote from Warby

    looks like we just got ourselves a unite 2010 *rising star* award :embarrassed:

    Well deserved, congrats everyone!!

  • Mazy! :D

    • Minos
    • November 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.onlinehappybirthday.com/img/animal-birthday/happy-birthday-cool-dog.gif]

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Minos
    • November 11, 2010 at 3:39 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    last day? that guy on the last pic looks a bit like romero...

    hes my best friend @ ubi, a kickass UI designer I knew from the brazilian mod scene long before the office opened =)

    My last day is tomorrow but most people were laid off about a month ago!

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Minos
    • November 11, 2010 at 2:39 AM

    someday...

    [Blocked Image: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs570.ash2/149288_493835184877_563644877_7146079_717785_n.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs926.snc4/73920_493835214877_563644877_7146080_8186371_n.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs244.snc4/39548_493835274877_563644877_7146082_1889285_n.jpg]

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Minos
    • November 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM

    Looks great, I love it =)

  • [Crysis SP WIP] Ridge

    • Minos
    • November 9, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    Kickass work!!

  • Your favourite movies

    • Minos
    • November 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    Quote from Skjalg

    Elite Squad rules... but I've just seen Elite Squad 2 and it manages to be 100% better. Check it out if you can

    wuut..

    Im gonna hunt you down and kill you if you're making a joke

    Just compare the IMDB reviews

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1555149/

    It was released just a month ago in Brazil. I believe it's going to take a while for the international version to be released. But yeah, definitely one of my favorite movies ever. Everyone in the theater cheered when Nascimento beat the shit out of a politician

    Nascimento is the brazilian Dirty Harry.... just a lil more badass...

  • Getting Started with Texturing (Tutorial Req)

    • Minos
    • November 9, 2010 at 2:50 AM
    Quote

    ":110vhjel]http://www.shotgun-graphics.com/tutorials.htm

    some nice obscure tricks there, thanks for sharing!!

  • Your favourite movies

    • Minos
    • November 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    Quote from seir

    [Blocked Image: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B001CDFY2I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]Elite Squad - Favellas, drugs and cops

    More soon

    Elite Squad rules... but I've just seen Elite Squad 2 and it manages to be 100% better. Check it out if you can

  • Now playing 2010

    • Minos
    • November 8, 2010 at 3:45 AM
    Quote from Jetsetlemming

    My problem with Minecraft is that the world feels lifeless and secure. Sure, there are some moronic zombies at night but they are only a problem during the first night really.

    I really wish the game had random events and encounters, such as changes in weather, merchants passing by or natural disasters a-la Sim City. It would rule to see a tornado coming in the distance and destroying your lil realm while you sit back and enjoy the beauty of the scene :derp:

    I once again cite Animal Crossing as an example of what I mean. That game rules so much because of the random events that make each game feel unique. It owns to start the game in the morning and see that everyone in your village is a little depressed because the weather is rainy or meet some random NPC who's passing by that day.

    Sounds like you need to explore more. You won't find a wandering merchant or a tornado, but you will find massive procedurally generated caves full of danger, different environments thanks to biomes, and the resources to mount an expedition into the Nether, a hell dimension that lets you, at risk, fast travel at an 8:1 ratio by traveling across it and then constructing an exit gate back to the real world.

    The biomes didn't do much to me because they don't change the gameplay much. The joy of finding massive caves soon wears out when you start your 3rd or 4th world too.

    I had some fun with the multiplayer but it's barely playable at this moment. A shame really but acceptable because the game is still in alpha stage.

    I can't wait to find some mods that subvert the games' rules and create interesting situations though!

  • Now playing 2010

    • Minos
    • November 8, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    Quote from Taylor

    I think with Minecraft you need to think of a project to work on: water lift, house, castle, mine cart system, dungeon raids, etc. If you've no real objective in mind it'll be really boring real quick. I really liked the last update because I'm using a netherportal hidden in my house (though not very well because is constantly screams) that leads to a set of stairs and another netherportal that pops out on the floating death island. Well, that's the goal anyway; I've purposely only installed this at work so I can only do 1-2 hours a day.

    My problem with Minecraft is that the world feels lifeless and secure. Sure, there are some moronic zombies at night but they are only a problem during the first night really.

    I really wish the game had random events and encounters, such as changes in weather, merchants passing by or natural disasters a-la Sim City. It would rule to see a tornado coming in the distance and destroying your lil realm while you sit back and enjoy the beauty of the scene :derp:

    I once again cite Animal Crossing as an example of what I mean. That game rules so much because of the random events that make each game feel unique. It owns to start the game in the morning and see that everyone in your village is a little depressed because the weather is rainy or meet some random NPC who's passing by that day.

  • Now playing 2010

    • Minos
    • November 7, 2010 at 3:00 AM
    Quote from Taylor

    Minecraft is way too addictive, and such an impressive game in so many ways. It's always nice to see someone do what they want, completely uncompromisingly, and do so incredibly well. Though I've managed to start a perpetual forest fire in my heavily wooded biome (I'm trying to justify it by building a floating death island out of hell tiles with lava streaming over the sides).Also been playing Deadly Premonition, which I brought figuring it would be "so bad it's good," but I'm actually having a lot of fun with it. And I'm playing the new Deathsmiles Mega Black Label version 1.1 patch (of course).

    I hate to admit it but i got worn-out of Minecraft really fast. There isn't much to do in the game and the last update was a huge disappointment. It didn't add any substantial features that would justify getting back to it.

    I really hope Notch stops twitting about his office and get back to work. Or else he's gonna feel 4Chan's fury again

  • Fallout (New Vegas)

    • Minos
    • November 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • The Walking Dead

    • Minos
    • November 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM

    Watched the pilot, It reminds me of 28 days later which is definitely a good thing Looking forward!

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Minos
    • November 2, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Quote from Skjalg

    [email protected], i quite liked the old batman movies and I liked the new ones. I feel for all of you that didnt think it was awesome, because thinking something awesome is awesome is an awesome feeling

    I didn't say I hate the movies. I just think they are overrated. The Dark Knight ranked #2 on IMDB's top 250 when it released. [Blocked Image: https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mapcore_smilies/emot_shakehead.gif]

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Minos
    • November 2, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    Quote from evelynz8735

    Sorry but I think these Batman movies are among the most overrated movies of the 2000s. :embarrassed:Tim Burton's Batmans FTW!

    lmao

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2010

    • Minos
    • November 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

    The good thing of working in a dying studio is that you can do all you ever wanted. Just like if the world ended tomorrow, you would be free to do anything. In this pic: cigarettes and whisky with the boss. A truly epic day.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.thiagoklafke.com/misc/temp/ubifun.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs011.snc4/33922_437106982637_744687637_5418120_6599410_n.jpg]

    such a shame it never happened before

  • genuinely scary/disturbing movies for halloween?

    • Minos
    • October 31, 2010 at 11:34 PM

    Troll 2

  • The Dark Knight Rises

    • Minos
    • October 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Quote from Steppenwolf

    The Dark Knight is a clusterfuck imo. I don't like how they tried to force depth and meaning into the story. It's supposed to be a popcorn flick god damnit.

    That's my grudge with Christopher Nolan. While I enjoyed Inception I thought the plot was too convoluted and fuck, it's just a popcorn movie [Blocked Image: https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mapcore_smilies/emot_shakehead.gif] .

    I think he could learn a thing or two with District 9! Sorry to derail the thread but that's my definition of a fun movie: it's funny, it's clever and best of all, it's not pretentious.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™