what I'm saying is that while the graphics in stalker may or may not have all the lastest and greatest stuff, I don't expect the graphics to deter from the gameplay, as yes, I understand that they are linked.
Posts by Izuno
-
-
nice western stucco textures. Keep us updated please!
-
I salute you, sir!
-
I'm sorry, but after "Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game Of The Movie" game titles now have a 50 character limit or else fines will be limited by packaging printers everywhere.
-
Well...since I am now and industry consultant and no longer the US Product Manager of STALKER...
1) The vehicles were never the big thing in STALKER. Limiting their gameplay isn't a big deal. The game was always more focused on experience the Zone. You probably won't miss extensive vehicle use as initially planned in the design.
2) The graphics, assuming it will actually release in 2007, should be fine. Will they be the best evarar? I don't care. While graphics were the best at one point, they may or may not have kept up with the times. Time will tell...as in...will HDR work as GSC claims? I hope so. Some of the new screens sure look nice. I have faith that the graphics will not deter from the gameplay and still make the game pleasent to look at and contribute to the spooky atmosphere. But I am not a graphics junky so your results may vary.
3) The story and premise and gameplay were always what the big hook was. I am still under NDA and I cannot reveal what I know about the script, but if GSC executes to what it was planning in the script I read, then I will bow to thee, GSC. I bow to thee.
4) So about the gameplay and A-life...the recent posts by GSC about A-Life and the story integration are not surprising.
http://stalker.myexp.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3449
It sounds like GSC and THQ have made the optimal choice. Believe me, they took on a hugely innovative idea when they went down the A-Life path. But in the end there were some issues that could not be overcome, so it sounds like GSC and THQ have wisely taken a slightly different approach...meaning the game will still have the open world field with some key story elements (Gulags as GSC calls them in the forum post) that deliver the goods.
I still believe in the idea behind STALKER. I always did...always will. The apathy at the game after so many delays is understandable, and frankly, appropriate. Any game with this many delays deserves skepticism. Very few games that have taken 5+ years to develop turn out awesome. HL2 may be the exception. Is STALKER of HL2 quality? There is no evidence GSC can deliver that, but that doesn't mean it is not a possibility.
I left THQ on good terms to pursue other opportunities. It broke my heart to leave STALKER, but the bigger picture demanded it. When I played it at THQ, I knew it would be awesome if they could just finish the very ambitious game to the original design idea. We'll have to see.
If THQ asked me to come back and work on it again, I would consider it, assuming the game actually is where they say it is.
-
Source and Unreal edting are your best bets right now. Depends on your goals of course. If you want to get an industry job eventually, know them both but if you had to bet on one, start with Unreal editing given many more games are made in some form of Unreal than in Source.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
-
awesome!
-
man that's gold. reminds me of other conversations I've had.
-
The core issue is time. In the long run, our ecology and our economy are the same. In the short run, we see as ecology and economy as distinct from one another and even in opposition. The reality is that short term, exclusionary economic gains often come at the cost of long term, ecological sustainability.
The question is, when will this all catch up with us? When will Economy = Ecology? Think about it. Isn't our economy most fundamentally dependent on our ecology today?
I have been reading a lot about this over the years. Try The Web of Life by Fritjof Capra
-
Quote from mike-0
doesn't the US have a policy against asassination or something?
never heard of that policy. i wonder if there is any policy on that one way or another.
anyway, the big question is weather this will actually do anything in Iraq...of which only time will tell. I think the biggest issue is the fundamental quality of life in Iraq which is often a major factor in whether widespread violence or terrorism (or preludes to civil war...) emerges or not.
-
Quote from Nih
The first part of the morroco mission in No One Lives Forever. You have to pick off snipers that are targetting a deaf and near sighted (and pretty dumb) ambassador, who's having a hilarious conversation with a native morrocan. If you wanted to do the mission easy, you could ask an ally to tell you where the snipers would appear.God that game rocked.
lol....good one.
-
-
Op4 FTW
Haven't played Doom3 expansion, but maybe I will now.
I would also say Warcraft3: Frozen Throne was a good expansion, for the RTS inclined.
-
-
Quote from wacko
having played the demo at E3 of this wonderful title, I must say it really does look that good. Its almost sad really because you spend more time drawn in by the looks then you do the actual game.
Agreed. Though I only got to play it for about 5 minutes in the EA booth in one area. Still, best looking jungle evar.
Makes me think that someone should make a great tropical island adventure game in that engine...like if they really do make a game for Lost.
-
-
A user controllable vehicle being forced down a fairly narrow path is probably most relevent. Yes, player has control, but there's really only one way to go. So no Battlefield 2 type vehicle play, but more freedom than the standard MoH rail shooting sequence.
I think that Tribes example is interesting where you have a player as a driver and teammates on the back shooting the enemy.
Further clarification: all the enemies are going to be AI controlled. So it's a big co-op game where the players are all on the same team...like TEAM AMERICA!

-
While I agree that OpFor is still the best expansion pack of all time, the only aspect of that was dissapointing was that you barely, if at all, got to interact or fight with Gordon Freeman. And in some of the marketing hype it made it seem like you were on a mission to "Kill Gordon Freeman."
But by the time I played OpFor and got through it I didn't care because it was just so awesome.
Mike's right that original HL lent itself to that kind of expansion because the grunts had potential for personality (being human...military culture) and there was so much mystery behind them and the potential links to the Gman in Gordon's experience. And with the Combine, it just feels different.
Still I think a good game could be made where you play as an ass kicking combine, but some serious thought would have to go into it to integrate into HL2 story and keep up the quality, esp given Mike's point.
:huggles:
-
Two words: per capita.
Please continue arguing.
-
I didn't even bother playing PDZ.
I actually just started playing Far Cry Instincts: Predator on X360. (rented it). I gotta say, it's both good and meh. I don't like the feel of the controls, though I suppose I need to adjust. I'm guessing there will be vehicles and sniping, given the PC game had so much of both.
Anyway, the key distinction for the vehicle gameplay is that there will be multiple players riding in a single armored vehicle at a time shooting enemies coming at them in an urban settings as the vehicle moves to an objective point. The snipers and portable rocket guys will be in a single, fixed location in the same level providing birds eye view support.
I can't get into more detail right now (will once the thing goes public) but it's a cool design just they are having trouble visualizing the gameplay right now...cause they are marketing guys (though still totally cool).