Quote from kleinlukayeah it's in the US, you know... I mean, the country.. that you live in.
Posts by DD
-
-
-
Looks neat, almost doom 3 ish, doesn't really look like a new style though.
-
-
Quote from Zaphod
the only true reflection there is in the engine is with water, wich doubles the polies in your scene. All the other "shiny" stuff in the game is specularity, not reflections, it's uses pre-compiled low resolution cube-maps, and are not expensive at all.
Wait... so the reflection in hl2 water doubles the polies?!!!? I thought it was render to texture. Ho boy~
-
lol mazy wins
-
someone make a mesh out of that texture
-
-
Fall off causes your light sources to travel less far and continue to get weaker and weaker exponentially. Your lights sources will go from lite to black in a shorter range. So instead of these long fades from light to shadow you get really dense light. Your map may come out pitch black after compiling with these settings, you really have to boost the light juice. Hope this makes sense.
-
lol ol, so true
-
We almost never do them ourselves. We can, but it's probably best not since we need to focus on other things.
-
Looks solid. I think the map needs a bit more contrast, it might just be the screens showed up really dark. It looked very black, dark grey, and slight hints of red... bland. Try -gamma 2.0 -falloff 2.0 and increasing the light intensity on everything, you'll get a very vibrant look, ns like.
-
BTW Tom is a very talented level designer, he is able to create mood which I have extreme trouble to achieve. Half his unreal work is unreleased but I've seen it and it looks great, if only he would release it.
Not many people know the theory behind BSP and it doesn't make you any less talented or more. It doesn't mean you do not have a strong understanding of the technical side of level design either, I think you do. -
This was the first, or second result on google. Unreal doesn't not have partions or generate partions to decide what to cull automatically. You have to manually zone everything which usually results in different partitions. All partitions are equal in a BSPT.
-
Quote from TomWithTheWeather
I'm not saying BSP will disappear completely. I'm just saying that meshes will become much more predominate in maps than BSP.
Me too.
Quote from TomWithTheWeatherLol. I'm assuming you're trying to slam Unreal, which is real BSP. It's culling methods and CSG are just a little different than your beloved Halflife. What is the correct culling method? Just because it's done differently doesn't mean it's done wrong. When you're creating an engine you implement the best culling methods for that type of engine. Just because it's not what your used to doesn't make it wrong.
Yes I'm slaming unreal for calling BSP when it is not a Binary Space Tree. It's not what half-life defined, it's not what quake defined, it's a programming theory used with other methods to help cull out what is and what isn't in view.
Quote from TomWithTheWeatherEh? I think somehow you just contradicted yourself in the same sentence. Nearly as fast as what? A highly detailed indoor area that is mostly mesh would require an artist. O_o
Let me be more specific, or let me word it better. Obviously the artist can create tons of smaller objects, but when it comes to create the simple halls, rooms, the SHELL, it simply takes longer and the cost is little, mostly less in indoor areas.
Quote from TomWithTheWeatherBelieving one or the other is a wrong approach entirely. You do what's best for the game. You pick the best tech for the situations.
I agree but that's beside my point. In the end you insulted BSP, so I insulted Unreal. I believe as consoles become more and more like PC's, as they are, we'll see more and more engines using BSP or form of, not heavily, but still used and NOT going exstinct.
-
Only someone who hasn't seen the power of a correct BSP culling, which allow for much greater detail in indoor areas than any fake BSP or any distance cull can do, would suggest something like BSP will go instinct. A fair balance of the two, weighted towards mesh of course, allows for massive indoor areas with tons of detail that artist in max couldn't do even near as fast. Of course working on massive outdoor games leads you to believe otherwise.
-
You ns guys should try doom 3. You'll love it.
-
Quote from TomWithTheWeather
Good one. http://%7boption%7d
Whats the average for those other games again?
OH DISS!

-
Looks really good, I like the sharp look to it but yeah you do need to lighten it a bit.
-