1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • Omg, prototype flash game.

    • Thrik
    • April 14, 2005 at 10:09 PM

    Fixed some shit. You can now shoot anywhere on the scene instead of just hotspots, although I haven't implemented appropriate effects onto surfaces (eg: shoot metal for sparks, brick for dust, etc).

    I've had lots of comments on other forums on suggestions and graphical stuff, so all I really need is reports of things you can break. If anyone downloads it and fucks it up, let me know how.

  • New Unreal 3 Screenshot O_O

    • Thrik
    • April 14, 2005 at 6:04 PM

    Has it even been announced that there will be an Unreal 3? As far as I'm aware, all imagery so far is simply for the third incarnation of their engine, which doesn't necessarily mean that a third game will accompany it. They could just use it for their tournament series, or different intellectual property altogether (they really do need to move away from Unreal).

  • New Unreal 3 Screenshot O_O

    • Thrik
    • April 13, 2005 at 11:59 PM

    But yeah, that is a very nice photo enhancement nontheless.

  • Omg, prototype flash game.

    • Thrik
    • April 13, 2005 at 11:53 PM

    I've got a "final major project" at college beginning next week, which is essentially 10 solid weeks dedicated to making something of my choosing. I decided to do a FPS type game in the style of those arcade shooting games where you go screen to screen, shooting the shit out of each screen before moving to the next.

    Anyway, I was also assigned a few weeks to put together a prototype of how the game will function so that I can get all the programming and shit down, which I've just finished. It's just one victim and one screen, but it resembles how the final game will look. The proper game will just be a lot more polished, more realistic effects, more animation on characters, shit like that. The general point of this was to get the scripting behind it working nicely though, so if you find bugs PLEASE TELL ME before I get my dick sliced off by tutor. The only thing missing right now is the ability to shoot anywhere and it just make generic wall dust puffs like, which I'll be fixing soon.

    http://www.garry.tv/thrik/prototype.exe

    Just shoot the guy on the screen in various places until he drops. It's not perfect, and the ending has had next to no effort put into it whatsoever since it's fairly minor right now. All artwork is 100% original from my own photographs + photoshopping, with the exception of the shotgun which was screengrabbed from HLMV and given a bit of fake focus blur. D:!

    I'll be making a new thread in a number of weeks with the real thing, where I plan to have many, many targets ranging from people to just scenery, as well as a few different weapons. I just know that this is going to occupy too much of my time.

    Also note that slower computers may find this game a bit laggy, even as a standalone projector (where the framerate is generally a lot smoother than if it were in the browser, hence it being a .exe). Sorry if that's the case, but there's not really a lot I can do, short of inviting you into my room to view it properly. ~~

  • Dawn of War

    • Thrik
    • April 12, 2005 at 8:06 PM

    I never really liked the single player, never have in RTS games. Playing it online with real people (especially those that you know) is awesome though. I couldn't get many people to play it with me though, so eventually I got bored of the AI and the occasional fortnightly match with a friend, and ended up uninstalling it.

    Good game though. Expansion pack is coming in Winter.

  • QUAKE III STYLE FOG IN HL2:DM

    • Thrik
    • April 12, 2005 at 7:55 PM

    Do cooler fog with that smokey entity thing. You can tweak it to look pretty rad as fog, and you control where it is (ie: floor). It'd probably look better than that Q3 stuff too.

  • Psychonauts Demo....

    • Thrik
    • April 12, 2005 at 6:05 PM

    There's plenty of Psychonauts on my site, http://www.razputin.net, if you're interested in learning more about Psychonauts. It's a game that'll definitely appeal to kids, but a lot of the humour works on most levels.

    Also, the stump joke from Monkey Island returns!! If you're not familiar, in Monkey Island 1 there was a stump in the Melee Island forest. If you examine it, Guybrush said that he could see a crack, which appeared to lead into a system of catacombs. If you tried to use it, this happened:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.scummbar.com/games/trivia/full/1/g021704083321.gif]

    In Monkey Island 3, the joke returned. Inside a crypt quite far into the game, you found a huge crack with tree roots growing out of it. If you tried to use it, this happened:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.scummbar.com/games/trivia/full/3/8.gif]

    Then, in Grim Fandango, Tim Schafer's last game, there was an underground network of tunnels which you get to walk around in the last year of the game. If you look down a particular tunnel which is all dark and scary, Manny repeats the "system of catacombs" line from Monkey Island 1.

    And yes, it's back! In Psychonauts demo, go right to the cliff edge in the first area that you get to explore. Near Fred, the janitor, you'll find a tree stump with a grate over it. Examine/use the stump. Yes, the "system of catacombs" line is back! Better to experience it yourself, but if you can't find the stump or just don't have the time:

    http://www.garry.tv/thrik/stump1.jpg

    http://www.garry.tv/thrik/stump2.jpg

    PS: The demo rules.

  • Post your desktop!

    • Thrik
    • April 10, 2005 at 7:27 PM

    Oh my God.

  • Best. Video. Ever.

    • Thrik
    • April 10, 2005 at 2:14 AM

    Watch it all.

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/%7Ecoates/video/ ... deo%29.mpg

  • Now playing

    • Thrik
    • April 9, 2005 at 12:02 AM

    Worms Armageddon - At least daily.

    Brothers in Arms - Weekly. Taking it slowly.

    Peri, you should switch to Worms Armageddon. It's identical to Worms World Party in every single way, except it's still patched on a regular basis, and it has a far more active community. It has lots of helpful little additions, one of which is the ability to minimize the damned game.

    But more importantly, you'd be able to play with me and my elite cronies.

  • Snarkpit has returned under a new URL

    • Thrik
    • April 6, 2005 at 11:45 PM

    Oktagone give the impression on their site that they'll transfer your domain to different name servers and shit if you ask. Is this not the case?

    I figure it'd be a good idea to do your damnest to get the domain back since lots of people will never check for anything but snarkpit.com. :/

  • Just want to say bye.

    • Thrik
    • March 31, 2005 at 5:12 PM

    It'll be sad to see you gone and all, but I have to ask..

    You're 43 and have no job? Wtf, mate?

  • cs_beirut2 (counterstrike source)

    • Thrik
    • March 29, 2005 at 2:13 PM

    Looks cool. I'm not sure about Ferret's contrast comment since I think it looks pretty nice with regards to lighting, and thinking logically I'd assume that in real life all the sunlight being reflected around by the end and light surfaces would tone down the shadows quite a bit anyway. The effect doesn't quite look realistic though, primarily due to the complete absence of sand being blown around like in de_dust. I might suggest looking into integrating that.

  • Fletch visits Plano, photography ensues

    • Thrik
    • March 29, 2005 at 2:09 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://people.ku.edu/~bthomas1/plano12.jpg]

    Best photo ever.

  • Somebody record this.

    • Thrik
    • March 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM

    http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/fea ... logy_.html

    D:

  • Is your backbone okay ?

    • Thrik
    • March 29, 2005 at 1:10 PM

    I don't really ever slouch, I just lean back or, if I'm gaming, sit straight. It actually ends up being even worse when I do the former, since my neck is still being bent forwards.

  • Is your backbone okay ?

    • Thrik
    • March 29, 2005 at 10:43 AM

    My back's fine, but my posture is kind of lame at times due to the immense amounts of time I spend in front of a damn computer. I do everything at home on one, I do everything at college on one, hell we usually end up on one when I go round to a friend's house.

    I really ought to see a specialist and get myself straightened out.

  • Dm Coast - Alpha release

    • Thrik
    • March 27, 2005 at 11:15 PM

    Er, displacement maps can use any texture can't they? You're not getting displacement maps (ie: terrain) mixed up with props (ie: models) are you? I can't see how using a displacement map would cause any problems.

  • Post your desktop!

    • Thrik
    • March 21, 2005 at 4:17 PM

    Haha, Super Greg, that's it.

    Google = http://www.joenapier.com/supergregfan/

  • Post your desktop!

    • Thrik
    • March 21, 2005 at 4:05 PM

    Jeez, that junk would send me insane.

    Also Zyndrome, where is your avatar from? I remember seeing the full thing before, but I've totally forgotten where.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™