1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • It's about fucking time...

    • Thrik
    • May 17, 2005 at 9:44 AM

    Exactly. ¬¬ What's HL2 without the fancy shaders??

    Although when I tried it on a ti4200 with similar processor/RAM specs to D3, it certainly didn't run smoothly on full detail.

  • Doom III

    • Thrik
    • May 17, 2005 at 12:27 AM

    Doom 3: Cool, but gets old very quickly. A lot of people who praise it have not come close to finishing it.

  • It's about fucking time...

    • Thrik
    • May 17, 2005 at 12:24 AM
    Quote from D3adlode

    I think I'll be able to run HL2 to near enough the highest settings in which case.

    Sadly, not while you have that ti4200 in there.

  • New XBox 360 screens?

    • Thrik
    • May 13, 2005 at 11:43 PM

    http://www.ourcolony.net/

    http://www.ourcolony.net/

    http://www.ourcolony.net/

    http://www.ourcolony.net/

    http://www.ourcolony.net/

    (not mtv)

  • Epic's new game - GEARS OF WAR (UE3)

    • Thrik
    • May 13, 2005 at 11:01 PM

    I wasn't really making assumptions myself, just responding to what others have said in this thread. I'm just expressing what I feel they should really try to do with this game, whether they have or not. This obviously has huge potential, and it'd be a dying shame if they reduced it to a generic aliens vs humans storyline, with nothing more than "kill them before they kill you" holding it all together.

    Go Epic! And all that.

  • Epic's new game - GEARS OF WAR (UE3)

    • Thrik
    • May 13, 2005 at 8:57 PM

    It would be nice if they had something more creative than marines, I agree. I mean why not come up with some kind of unique human organisation that you actually care about, rather than just some generic "they are human marines, therefore we naturally must like them" scenario? Exercise the whole story-telling muscles and introduce some kind of human/alien conflict which consists of more than "the aliens want to kill all of the humans". There's far more to "humans vs. aliens" than that, and it should be explored.

    Regardless of that, the video does look awesome. I can see good things coming from this engine in the future.

  • The Movies, Black & White 2, and The Room.

    • Thrik
    • May 7, 2005 at 5:03 PM

    http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/a9-molyne ... r1.htm?300

    You can watch the whole 1 hour plus presentation if you like, which the industry people here might enjoy, but if not then I do recommend at least checking out the Black & White 2 and The Room parts (selectable from the index menu at the bottom).

    Black & White 2 looks like a huge improvement from the original, both graphically and in terms of gameplay. I love RTS games, so combining that genre with BW1 (which I incidentally loved, unlike many) is great. The fact that they've also lowered the intense micromanagement required for villagers is a relief, since that was the main problem for me in BW1. The war looked a bit chaotic, but since they've been playing the game for ages, plus the fact that as a beginner you're unlikely to be thrown straight into one of those, it's understandable. I mean, any RTS game looks confusing as fuck if you watch someone who's been playing it for ages in some battle.

    But what I found really impressive was The Room. God damn, that looked amazing. The whole portals system was just great, and reminded me of that "The Box" (I think) short movie which someone in #mapcore posted a while ago. It's a shame that won't make it into a working game in itself, but seeing that kind of concept (not to mention engine) in an actual working game concept makes me wet with excitement.

  • Score one for Valve

    • Thrik
    • May 2, 2005 at 6:02 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.idlethumbs.net/images/banners/advergaming.jpg]

  • Score one for Valve

    • Thrik
    • May 2, 2005 at 4:03 PM

    On the note of in-game advertising, this is a somewhat entertaining read.

  • The Metal Thread

    • Thrik
    • April 28, 2005 at 5:33 PM
    Quote from rockdude86

    do some of you here make their own music?? well i do (i do vocals in a hardcorepunk band) so not metal at all but i listen mainly to any metal in general would be cool to now that more of us mappers made their own music. if your interested you can check 2 of our songs on our myspace page

    http://%7boption%7d

    Dear lord. That music is too all over the place for me to enjoy.

    As for the growling comment earlier though, I didn't like it at first, but a lot of the music which these bands produce beneath the growling is too nice to ignore purely because of the growls. After a while you learn to accept them just as normal singing -- it's the music beneath that counts. I personally can easily listen to music without any vocals whatsoever and enjoy it the same, so as long as it has a strong melody and a well composed sound then I'm content.

    As for making music, I play the keyboard in my own time a lot (creating my own stuff, not copying others). I'd like to think that I'm fairly good at it, considering that I've been doing it for about ten years. I don't have anything for you to listen to though, since my keyboard is kind of outdated and doesn't even have a midi port. I am however getting a brand new (and very shiny) one soon though, so I'll probably spam something in these forums once I've put together my first serious composition.

  • The 'Core Sketch Thread!?

    • Thrik
    • April 28, 2005 at 3:24 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.garry.tv/thrik/weirdosketch.jpg]

    One of the many freakish things I draw in my pad whilst bored.~

  • fileplanet deceiving us??

    • Thrik
    • April 26, 2005 at 7:30 PM

    http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/ ... 1.zip.html

  • New XBox 360 screens?

    • Thrik
    • April 25, 2005 at 8:31 PM

    Keep an eye on MTV.

  • The Metal Thread

    • Thrik
    • April 24, 2005 at 5:54 PM

    Get the hell out of this thread, Nexus.

  • Jail level designs?

    • Thrik
    • April 23, 2005 at 3:32 PM

    He's your dad.

  • Best. Video. Ever.

    • Thrik
    • April 19, 2005 at 10:29 PM

    I feel the same way about your avatar.

  • New Quake4 shot

    • Thrik
    • April 17, 2005 at 2:35 PM

    We don't really care if you've seen it before, you little worm. It's not old until it's posted on this forum.

    Anyway, yes, I too am growing very bored of the Doom 3 style. It's really not an attraction at all anymore, so I hope they've got some seriously innovative gameplay in place to make this game worth more than a brick.

  • Omg, prototype flash game.

    • Thrik
    • April 15, 2005 at 6:08 PM

    UK, freedom.

    That's not really a bug but more my laziness. I only put in six hitpoints on the body. I'll be less lazy when I do the proper game.~~~~~

  • Omg, prototype flash game.

    • Thrik
    • April 15, 2005 at 8:50 AM

    ...........

    1) It's not a subdomain.

    2) You tool.

    3)

  • Omg, prototype flash game.

    • Thrik
    • April 14, 2005 at 10:41 PM

    Goes out of sync if swf because there's so much shit on screen at once. :/

    Don't know why, but it just adds a huge speed decrease if it's played in the browser. I tried the same thing as a standalone and in the browser, and it went from its proper speed to all out of sync and stuff.

    It's not going to be an swf for college anyway, it's got to be standalone. D:!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™