1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • My examproject in programming

    • Thrik
    • April 21, 2006 at 2:08 PM

    Can't really comment since I don't understand a word.

  • Does anyone know what this is?

    • Thrik
    • April 20, 2006 at 9:21 PM

    Didn't switch to NTL's '10mbps' service, did you?

  • Mapcore Changes

    • Thrik
    • April 20, 2006 at 8:59 AM

    Sure Mike, just plop off an email to [email protected] whenever you like.

  • Mapcore Changes

    • Thrik
    • April 19, 2006 at 10:40 AM

    Way to take the bait, mawibse.

    As for the front page... it's starting to become seriously redundant, especially now that the forums have been restructured slightly. All it has basically been used for up to now is advertising jobs, and since we've got a forum dedicated to that there seems to be little point in continuing doing it there.

    And, let's face it, any kind of news that interests this community will almost certainly hit the forums well before the front page. The only incentive to keep the front page active is the spotlight, but is it really necessary to have a whole page for that?

    Perhaps it'd make more sense to bring the forums forward to occupy the front page, and either shift the spotlight forum right up to the top so that people don't miss the new additions, or perhaps implement a custom thumbnail script which shows the latest spotlight(s) near the top.

    In short, I don't think a front page is necessary at all, considering that everything on it is derived from the forums anyway and that a lot of community members probably don't ever visit it. Why not just cut out the middle man and let people see what they want right away? A transparent redirect would do the trick.

    Plus, an active community like Mapcore is a big draw for new members. The only problem is that nobody sees the active community as it's hidden behind a dead website.

  • Mapcore Changes

    • Thrik
    • April 19, 2006 at 2:52 AM

    I heartily approve of these changes.

    I'd suggest that I be removed as a moderator for the mod recruitment forum, though — I don't really participate in that area at all, and spend most of my time in what is now the general discussion category.

  • I've been offered a job!

    • Thrik
    • April 17, 2006 at 4:30 PM

    Reno!

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKEYZ!!!!!!!!!~@~@##"?$

    • Thrik
    • April 16, 2006 at 6:18 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif]Mikey! [Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif][Blocked Image: http://www.mapcore.net/forums/images/avatars/203868579343c2d52926f3a.gif]

  • Garry's Mod

    • Thrik
    • April 16, 2006 at 4:52 AM

    Perhaps he's been a little over-zealous, or perhaps it was simply his mods. I can't really comment on his actions on the forums since I haven't witnessed them.

    All I can attest to is that Garry comes across as a really nice guy on IRC, and I can't think of one instance where I've seen him act unreasonably. When I see people using the description “egotistical asshole”, it just seems so distant from the Garry I know that it's kind of confusing.

    Perhaps he has a split personality disorder.

  • Garry's Mod

    • Thrik
    • April 16, 2006 at 4:49 AM

    Yeah.

  • Garry's Mod

    • Thrik
    • April 16, 2006 at 4:48 AM

    I was, but got the hell out of there once things started spiralling towards the “insanity” side of popularity. I think few people wouldn't get a bit snappy considering the comments that I've seen posted on there. ~

  • Garry's Mod

    • Thrik
    • April 16, 2006 at 4:42 AM

    Erm, I'm not sure how you got that impression Section Eight. He hangs around in the Mapcore IRC channel all the time, and he comes across as a very passive person to me and actually completely downplays any references to his fame. Not to mention that he recently refunded a $999 Paypal donation that some kid sent without his mother's permission when asked, which I can't see many other people doing. Asshole? I think not.

    I really can't think of a word that seems more unfitting than egotistical. Are you sure you're talking about the same person here, and not some random impersonator?

  • Garry's Mod

    • Thrik
    • April 15, 2006 at 4:01 AM

    Seems completely reasonable to me. Garry has put loads and loads of time into the mod, and from what I understand he was ready to just pack it all in and let it die. Instead, he's willing to continue — if he gets a little payback for his hard work.

    I guess it's about making a choice between the mod being left to go stale and ultimately become incompatible with Source (this has happened before, and without continued development it'd be dead already), or continue being developed for a small price. Which is preferred?

  • Share the comic stripz0rz for the netz0rz!

    • Thrik
    • April 15, 2006 at 2:16 AM

    I enjoy Double Fine Action Comics.

    Scott's is definitely my favourite...

    [Blocked Image: http://www.doublefine.com/comics/sc_comics/sc_006.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.doublefine.com/comics/sc_comics/sc_007.jpg]

    ...although Nathan's has its great moments...

    [Blocked Image: http://www.doublefine.com/comics/ns_comics/ns_199.jpg]

    ...and let's not forget Raz's...

    [Blocked Image: http://www.doublefine.com/comics/rm_comics/rm_001.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.doublefine.com/comics/es_comics/es_061.jpg]

  • Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway Officially announced.

    • Thrik
    • April 13, 2006 at 4:39 PM

    Yeah, CryEngine is probably going to be a major player in the future if what we've seen thus far is anything to go by.

    Then again, I've said similar things about other engines and been totally wrong, so I guess we'll see.

  • Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway Officially announced.

    • Thrik
    • April 13, 2006 at 2:37 AM

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/04/brothers_in_arms_hell.jpg]

  • Half-Life 2: DAWN

    • Thrik
    • April 11, 2006 at 2:07 PM

    Eh, the concept doesn't do much for me. If they're going to place a mod inside the Half-Life 2 storyline, I don't think changing it around is a good idea — it's just lazy storytelling, and in a single-player mod that is a very important aspect.

    It's not like they couldn't still have the Earth forces, Combine and Xen fighting without altering the storyline; remember, the Xen were here already. Seems kind of pointless.

  • What Games are you playing?

    • Thrik
    • April 10, 2006 at 3:49 PM

    World of Warcraft? More like World of Borecraft.

    I've just started replaying HL2 after not doing so since the release, which is pretty nice as back when I first played it I suffered constant blue screens and stuttering thanks to an incompatible mainboard and 512mb less RAM than I have now. It's mainly totally smooth now, and it's hot. Hot as a chicken pie.

    I might replay Beyond Good and Evil too, since I've got two weeks off; I wanted to play Twin Snakes, but I lent it to some cockslap.

  • Favourite musical pieces from games

    • Thrik
    • April 4, 2006 at 6:13 AM

    Music pieces. Not soundtracks — pieces. ;D

  • Favourite musical pieces from games

    • Thrik
    • April 3, 2006 at 9:38 PM

    He didn't ask for your favourite game soundtracks, he asked for your favourite pieces of music from game soundtracks. Doy.

    Makes it a bit more challenging. xD

  • Favourite musical pieces from games

    • Thrik
    • April 3, 2006 at 9:22 PM

    Some true classics below; click on them them to download — shame on you if you're not familiar with them, though. Such a shame that the former group of in-house LucasArts composers are rarely heard these days, considering the sheer variety of music they could throw out between them:

    Swanky Maximino, from Grim Fandango: jazzy gangster style.

    Sanctuary, from Outlaws: ambient Wild West strumming.

    Compañeros, also from Grim Fandango: Mexican mariachi band style.

    Hagatha's Home, from Psychonauts: similar to Swanky Maximino, but with a violin twist.

    The Last Gunfight, from Outlaws: a Wild West finale.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™